Ferrari: V12 are safe!!!

hiimandy1

Car(s)
ATS
"Ferrari and Lamborghini are both holding back from turbocharging the engines for their next generation of top-line supercars because of the traditional preference of their customers for normally aspirated powerplants.

Although Ferrari is widely expected to adopt turbocharging for future generations of its V8 models, its boss Amedeo Felisa has hinted that the next Enzo will continue to feature a V12 powerplant, possibly mated to an electric motor...."

More at: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/249759/

Screw the electric motor, enzo's aren't regularly used for city traffic so the electric motor and battery pack are just dead weight.
And no, a Kers system is equally useless on roads.
Its not like you are going to find another enzo to race every 5 miles or so.

^What he said. It's pointless. Just plop a big ass V12 in there, make a good looking body, make it handle like a dream and you have a Ferrari. Sod eco crap...

So their customers are concerned about having a naturally aspirated engine rather than a turbocharged.. But they don't care if you place a ton of batteries in their supercar?

Whatta you know...

Because electric (Not gas, diesel or hydrogen) cars are the future and they need to start working on perfecting the tech or ferrari will be gone in our lifetime?

Manufacturers like Ferrari will stay even if everyone else has most their cars running on alternative means of propulsion. Just like Jay Leno has put it in James' FCX Clarity bit - alternative means of propulsion will be the saviors of the sports car, similarly to the car and the horse.

Unlike the horse the law will ban (or make prohibilitivly expensive) large displacement engines long before they are made impractical by a replacement means.

The horse was replaced, not saved. The internal combustion engine is going to initially be replaced by an inferior product, and the superior produce made unfeasible by government mandate. Like a lot of top gear claims, that is horse-crap :). Love the show, but i wouldnt trust them to tell the future.

Slapping an electric motor next to a V12 is not an electric car nor is it moving toward the future. Tesla are the ones innovating in that department. Besides, they are talking about their flagship hypercar, it shouldn't make any concessions except to be barely road legal.

I'm positive Ferrari will come up with something better than a hugeass battery pack and some measily run-off-the-mill electric motor. These guys know how to make a fast car - if they'll come up with electric assistance of a V12, I'm sure it will be brilliantly done.

Last edited:
Screw the electric motor, enzo's aren't regularly used for city traffic so the electric motor and battery pack are just dead weight.
And no, a Kers system is equally useless on roads.
Its not like you are going to find another enzo to race every 5 miles or so.

^What he said. It's pointless. Just plop a big ass V12 in there, make a good looking body, make it handle like a dream and you have a Ferrari. Sod eco crap...

Slapping an electric motor next to a V12 is not an electric car nor is it moving toward the future. Tesla are the ones innovating in that department. Besides, they are talking about their flagship hypercar, it shouldn't make any concessions except to be barely road legal.

I'm positive Ferrari will come up with something better than a hugeass battery pack and some measily run-off-the-mill electric motor. These guys know how to make a fast car - if they'll come up with electric assistance of a V12, I'm sure it will be brilliantly done.

10 bucks says its a roadworthy version of KERS.

I like the direction MattD1zzl3 is thinking. On top of this, there's one thing where every electric motor beats even a Ferrari V12: Low-End torque. So putting an electric motor into a V12 might shave half a second or more off the naught to sixty time. You won't even need much batteries for this - just enough for a quick five-to-ten second tboost.

torque isn't the limiting factor in an Enzo, its tyre grip.
The extra torque will do nothing but spin the wheels even more, and the extra weight of the batteries again won't help during your acceleration.
Electric motors mated to small engines is ok, electric motors mated to thoroughbred performance engines aren't.

Dear Ferrari....you have ruined yourself, kthxbye

fucking ecocrap........

Enzos may not be, but the 599 sure is. Also, the entire 100hp-adding hybrid system in that green-colored 599 hybrid concept only adds 178 lbs.

Last edited:
Porsche have showed with the 918 Spyder that making a very exciting super/hypercar isn't impossible. Ferrari should be able to do the same. I wouldn't worry. :)

What were we all just saying about Ferrari remaining 'pure'?

That it was a crock? That they stopped being "pure" ages ago?

Because electric (Not gas, diesel or hydrogen) cars are the future and they need to start working on perfecting the tech or ferrari will be gone in our lifetime?

Electric cars are NOT the future. Hydrogen-powered cars ARE. If you truly believe thAt electric cars are the future, you need your head checked.

Electric cars are NOT the future. Hydrogen-powered cars ARE. If you truly believe thAt electric cars are the future, you need your head checked.

You're confusing "electric" with "battery" I think. Burning hydrogen in an ICE is merely a rest-stop on the way to a fully electric car...where the electric car gets it's electricity, well that's the main issue, and Hydrogen will likely play a convincing starring role in that in fuel cells, etc.

I mean, just based on the simplicity and the mechanical efficiencies inherent in an electric drivetrain, it's just going to happen.

Which, as Jay Leno said (probably someone else first, but I remember him specifically saying it) it then leaves more gasoline for the "petrol heads" to drive their cars until they all die. :)