FG Automotive Design Challenge #1

FG Automotive Design Challenge #1

• Total voters

darkshark0159

Car(s)
Mercedes-Benz C240 W203, British Rail Class 450
Hello everyone, and welcome to the first ever Final Gear Automotive Design Challenge! :)

We've spent countless hours on these forums discussing the designs of key industry figures such as Chris Bangle, and we've argued over the designs of many new cars which have been released. Some we hate, some we love, but more often than not recently, we hate them. :p

So here is an opportunity. What would you do if you were in the position of head designer at a major car company? Would you turn over the tables and try something radical? Would you try and refine and modernise old designs while keeping in line with tradition?

--------------

In this challenge, you are the head of design at Jaguar. You have been asked to design a new generation of the flagship XJ model. The XJ has had a very consistent look for many generations, and some see it as dated. Yet for many, Jaguar is all about tradition. You must walk the fine line between these views as you design the car.

Guidelines:
  • Use any design method you'd like, as long as you start from scratch. Drawing, 3D modelling, vector imaging, etc.
  • Artistic talent isn't a must. Entries shall be judged on design skill rather than artistic skill.
  • Keep it real. This isn't the Photoshop contest.
  • Please submit your entries via PM by 10 August 2009 at 0:00GMT

Since this is a trial run of this new challenge, discuss below and we can tweak the rules.

As much as I'd love to participate, I can barely draw a line. I could take an XJ pic and photoshop it to hell and make it look modern or w/e, but you said I have to start from scratch. I will literally draw a box with 2 circles for headlights on each side.

This should produce some interesting designs, maybe we should send them to Callum and teach him how proper car design is done. I'll think about participating myself, but I probably won't, I'm rubbish at artsy stuff.

I could take an XJ pic and photoshop it to hell and make it look modern or w/e, but you said I have to start from scratch.

The reason I made that a key rule is because if you photoshop a picture of another XJ, no matter what you do, in the end it is still just a modified previous-gen XJ.

However, I have a bad feeling that few people will even consider trying because most people here feel they wouldn't be any good at drawing or whatever. If this becomes a problem, I may have no choice but to change the rules.

I didn't specify because I'm leaving that up to the designers. You can either do just one 3D view of most of the car, or you can do a few 2D views, or whatever. Just get at least the front and side in the submission. I may tighten the rules based on the results of this first contest.

I didn't specify because I'm leaving that up to the designers. You can either do just one 3D view of most of the car, or you can do a few 2D views, or whatever. Just get at least the front and side in the submission. I may tighten the rules based on the results of this first contest.

Alright.

I'm going to give it a go, if I can come up with something good, I'll PM it to you.

Last edited:
Cool. We need all the entries we can get to make this work, so do please submit! :)

I'm working on my entry now, but the way it's going it looks even more retro than the previous gen XJ!:lol: I think you'd be surprised, I bet a lot of people here are quite adept with some paper and a pencil.

Fuck yeah I'll do it! I won't be great be better than Bangle or Callum would do! And thank you for the length of the challenge, I'll be able to draw over my vacation at the Cape of Cod. Until I'm able to get good 3D software I'll have to resort to drawing but that will do!

This is especially difficult because a proper jaguar is one of the hardest things to pen there is. I'll take a stab at it. I'm gesture-drawing oriented, so don't look for anything highly rendered.

Yeah, I may try my hand at it as well - but I don't think my drawing will work out well unless I can get an artist to assist me. :p

Might give this a go, since after all I do want to do car design eventually, and I do have contacts on my phone from the design department at Volvo and Jaguar. :cool:

Haven't drawn cars for a while though since I have been doing other design related stuff for Uni. Ah well, sketchbook away. This is going to be ambitious but ultimately rubbish...

What does it have to be? Side profile, front, etc?

Probably gonna use pencil and paper for this one...

What does it have to be? Side profile, front, etc?

Probably gonna use pencil and paper for this one...

Hmm looking forward to the results- maybe FG could extend some influence on car design? :p

Hate to fall back on old excuses but I am really rubbish at art. I've had many ideas over the years, not just for car design either, and just was not able to implement them.

We really should do the same thing with race tracks, because of Tilke.

I do have contacts on my phone from the design department at Volvo and Jaguar. :cool:

So perhaps you could pass a few of our designs their way? :p

We really should do the same thing with race tracks, because of Tilke.

If we had some sort of computer racing game with a track designer, that would be fun for a one off "Design the Official Final Gear Track" competition.

Last edited:
A jaguar? D: Why you have to make it something hard like that >:

Because that Jaguar is what inspired this game. Not every car is simple hump like a Beetle. :p

Last edited: