FG Balkan Roadtrip 2018 - Release your inner Slav!

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia & Fabia
Ok, so let's get this started.
A roadtrip some 3 years i the making, so I better not fuck it up! :D

I'll make this short, for now, so people can get their stuff organized around the dates.
There's still a matter of how long this should be, 10 days or less. I guess you westerners want to make it worth your while while you're all the way down here.

SCHEDULE

DAY 0 - 29.07.2018 - Meet up at my place (Žabjak 20, Croatia)

DAY 1 - 47's to Rama (Bosnia and Herzegovina) - 380km - https://goo.gl/maps/gysLgTypsix
- Stop to look at least one Comunist monument on the way

DAY 2 - Sarajevo (120km one way)
- drive to Sarajevo and have a look around, grab some chevapi and all that, go back to Rama and do some view points, driving, swimming and boat rides.

DAY 3 - Rama to Kotor (Montenegro) - ~270km - https://goo.gl/maps/rPsWjyaXMdJ2
- drive down to Montenegro, Mostar is recomended for a stop and some sighseeing

DAY 4 - Kotor to Ohrid Lake (Macedonia) - ~340km - https://goo.gl/maps/zkFNbqGJyPH2
- I have no idea what this trip offers, except sketchy mountain roads in Albania

DAY 5 - Macedonia day
- I guess enjoy the Lake and drive around looking for interesting stuff and roadst to drive. Maybe pop in to Greece for a bit, just so we can add another countra, heh

DAY 6 - Ohrid Lake to Kotor - 340km - https://goo.gl/maps/GeqXoeg2aQM2
- Back to Montenegro, take a different route, stop wherever on the way.

DAY 7 - Kotor to Omiš - 270km - https://goo.gl/maps/pgTjJgstEQT2
-
stop in Kings Landing for some sights, drive some coastal and B mountain roads

DAY 8 - Omiš to Zadar (or thereabouts) - ~200km - https://goo.gl/maps/nG2ZAo6ogSL2
- Driving and stopping for various sights along the way. This would be a shorter drive, I'd suggest getting to the next camp earlier and cool down in the sea.
Possibility of visiting the Krka national park, sort of like a scaled down Plitvice. Maybe just taking a boat ride to the first big waterfall from the town of Skradin which we would be passing through.

DAY 9 - Zadar to Slovenia - ~ 400km - https://goo.gl/maps/abGxE3MkbMF2
- drive up the coast, over the mountan, on some of the best roads, visit the abandoned Željava air base, and end the day in Slovenia

DAY 10 - Slovenia - Zell am See (Austria) - ~400km - https://goo.gl/maps/T9nLpFhuVQJ2
- See some sights in Slovenia and go over the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. It's closed now so I cant' get an accurate map.

DAY 11 - 9.08.2018 - Austria - Viktoria Station - 750km - https://goo.gl/maps/ez7KfD7CtMz
- Autobahning to the Ringmeet

So this is just provisional, some things will no doubt get adjusted.
IMO, this actually seems a bit too long. I mean, it's fine for what you guys are used to, but I'd honestly ditch the trip to Macedonia
and expand on the things we can do and the roads to drive in Croatia and Slovenia.

I'm open to suggestions and we'll adjust accordingly.
But the dates are more or less set. If it was less days of roadtripping that would just mean that DAY 1 wouldn't be on a Monday 30.07. but a day or two after.

Sheesh, this took a while, no wonder I've been postponing making the thread :mrgreen:

Nice, thanks for doing this. I don't think this trip is too long, personally. Not counting the days it took to get to the starting point, the Nordkapp trip was full two weeks, UK trip was 13 days. Honestly, I'm afraid 10 days is not enough :p

Whether Macedonia visit is worth it or it would be better to occupy the time with other roads I don't know. There's no street view either :(

I could definitely spend another day in Slovenia. The mountain regions are great. ;)

Finally a thread for us non-Whatsappers and -Telegramers! :p

For reasons of precautions I already took vacation from July 30th to August 15th so I'm in from Day 0. :)

Reactions: 47
I was promised lamb during this roadtrip.
I still haven't given up. *fingers crossed*

Looks good, @47!

I don't think going to Makedonia will make it too long. But I would suggest to take either the way down there or back up further north, via Burrel and Debar, just to take different roads.
Also, question: Accomodation will be camping each night, right?

Redliner;n3546448 said:
I was promised lamb during this roadtrip.
I still haven't given up. *fingers crossed*

Still a part of the plan (and looks like we won't have a vegan to cater for as Matt and Michelle are out due to unforseen monetary issues).

Reactions: 47
DanRoM;n3546449 said:
Looks good, @47!

I don't think going to Makedonia will make it too long. But I would suggest to take either the way down there or back up further north, via Burrel and Debar, just to take different roads.
Also, question: Accomodation will be camping each night, right?

Unless we can find some other solution, yes, the plan is to camp. Feel free to take a room somewhere though. I haven't been looking for exact accomodation yet, but
when i was browsing around, most places would have a problem with parking for 10 or so cars/bikes. Camps seem like a safe enough option, too. I wouldn't want to leave cars on the street without a proper parking spot in case of rooms and hotels.

Thing for Macedonia is, it's a fair bit away, so 2 days go off just on traveling, and I know that's sort of the point of roatripping but I feel like that time could've been spent differently.
Keep the number of days the same, but less km's a day on driving from A to B if you know what I mean.

Finally! Just kidding, I don't envy having to do all this planning. :p
Going to leave home on Friday morning, rush through Germany as fast as I can and then take some more fun roads through Austria and possibly Italy, time permitting. There should be a Tiger on your doorstep at some point on Sunday. Can we expect cake upon arrival? :D

DaHitch;n3546468 said:
Finally! Just kidding, I don't envy having to do all this planning. :p
Going to leave home on Friday morning, rush through Germany as fast as I can and then take some more fun roads through Austria and possibly Italy, time permitting. There should be a Tiger on your doorstep at some point on Sunday. Can we expect cake upon arrival? :D

Probably. I guess it would be very dissapointing if there was no cake, at least a bit :p

Since we have to get ready, too, we'll either do BBQ or just go out to eat or have take out

Yeah sorry guys but it looks like we're out. We probably could scrape the money together just about but we've had a few unexpected expenses of late that have forced us to dip into our savings and we don't want to commit what it would cost to do this trip in full. What may happen, thanks mainly to nicjasno and IceBone volunteering to act in loco parentis, is to bung Junior on a plane to Zagreb or Ljulbljana so he can take part in full and we will do a mini trip of our own the few days before Ringmeet then hook up with you guys at VS.

My roadtrip plans this year are to try to do what Beni did: buy a Zastava from the region and tour with it. The starting point is so far south that there's little sense in bringing a car over, and just flying there and passengering is a bit boring too. So, if the used car stars align and nicjasno can find me an OK Koral (...) for a few hundred, I'll drive that around the entire tour until it falls into pieces or makes it home with me.

I would love to join, but my current (un) employment status makes it hard to make any commitments now. And also not in the mood of driving 1400 km's to the starting point.
I would love to passenger though, so if anyone has a spare seat? I'll gladly pay for fuel.

Adamar;n3546542 said:
I would love to join, but my current (un) employment status makes it hard to make any commitments now. And also not in the mood of driving 1400 km's to the starting point.
I would love to passenger though, so if anyone has a spare seat? I'll gladly pay for fuel.

i might be coming with a car via kiel to the roadtrip (with a big if i can get vacationdays), so you could passanger with me.

Galantti;n3546564 said:
i might be coming with a car via kiel to the roadtrip (with a big if i can get vacationdays), so you could passanger with me.

I would love that. I could drop my car @ Joe's place. And pick back up before ringmeet.

Looks interesting, I'm going to have a look at the costs and scare myself but I'd like to do this if possible. I have a car in mind for it too but I'm keeping that quiet for now. :p

Well, to make it official: Colour me interested. It depends on financials (for me, there's some investment for tent and bike-applicable communication gear involved, too) and on whether or not I manage to get the necessary time off.

I still like the sound of this, even 3 years after the first discussions. I'll see who else is going on holidays, and when, at work this year...

As stated on the Telegrams, 50% in for me if it'll be possible to avoid tenting.