FG Fitness Challenge

I may have a second vehicle: a bike.

Now where do I ride it? I've got no one to ride with over here, and this is about the most bike-unfriendly place I can think of. Thing is, I'd love to start riding bikes again just to get off my bum and out into nature.

Anybody in TX want to fart around on bike trails with someone who's really out of shape sometime?

I been always told to inhale with your nose and exhale through your mouth... cos the nose filters a lot of stuff (dirt, hairs, whatever's floating)
Who cares, you are in a clean gym with processed and filtered air. The mouth is the quickest way to get oxygen into you lungs.

I'm in!

My goal is to be able to run around my park without stopping by Christmas. It's not that long, only 2km, but I have never been able to run before so I think it's a goal that will actually be acheivable. My other goal is to be able to swim 1km in an indoor pool nonstop by Christmas. I used to swim five days a week, 2km a session, but I quit that about nine years ago, and since then when I've gone swimming I've only done about 500m at a time and not nonstop.

I will take measurements tomorrow and post them. I'm not too worried about my weight (I'm 165cm tall and about 63kgs), but it will be nice to have less body fat.

Who cares, you are in a clean gym with processed and filtered air. The mouth is the quickest way to get oxygen into you lungs.

I am? I mostly work out outside or at home, and unless you're pushing really hard, your nose should suffice.

I don't know if you saw my previous post, but you should not work out that long, after 45 minutes you risk losing muscle mass.

Even if I switch the muscles I train? I mean, I don't do 70 minutes for the same muscles, I just do different machines for different body parts, legs, upper back, lower back, belly etc.?

Trying to go to the gym as much as I can and work on the upper body.
Also, does anyone know any techniques to train my calves and lower leg muscles? Because the gym I go to has no machines for it and the only thing I can think of would be the stepping machine(which is a major bitch to use).

Even if I switch the muscles I train? I mean, I don't do 70 minutes for the same muscles, I just do different machines for different body parts, legs, upper back, lower back, belly etc.?

Unless you're a competitive bodybuilder or spend something like 2,5 hours plus at the gym the workout time has pretty much zero real world relevance. Theoretical drop in testosterone levels, but nothing that'd really matter for the average guy. Also depends on what you eat before working out, what you do at the gym etc.

Lekky said:
Also, does anyone know any techniques to train my calves and lower leg muscles? Because the gym I go to has no machines for it and the only thing I can think of would be the stepping machine(which is a major bitch to use).

Calf raises in a smith rack if there is one at your gym. No other muscles worth training than calves below you knees.

Mouth breathing is not just acceptable, it's suggested.

Sweet. Yeah I was hoping that was the case, and it's ok to sound like a rhinoceros while lifting. Thanks.

Couldn't go yesterday because swamped with work, going to make up for it today for sure. Wednesday I have to leave work early and head up to the observatory so I'll have to find a way to either go earlier in the day or make up for it later.

I'm in too,

I've started working out in september but this is a very good incentive to keep me going, I've started to slack lately because of all the work I've got at the moment, not good enough of an excuse though.

My goal: lose 10kg by the end of the year.

I think its too much. And what about arms? Are you doing a full body workout 3 times a week? There is no point in doing more than two exercises per body part, for biceps for example; 3 sets of alternating dumbbell curls and 3 sets of EZ bar preacher curl. In between those two exercises you can do a triceps and a shoulder exercise for example.

Check the program below, do weights 3 days a week and cardio on the off days, none of the workouts below take more than 45-50 minutes unless you spend half the time chatting or waiting for machines to be free. The key to a good workout is intensity, not length of the workout.

wo.jpg

Well, I do 3x15 repeats as I am not aiming for mega muscle size but for normal muscle gain and ~1 minute break between the sets, add wait time (it happens), I doubt I do more than 50 minutes of real "work" while using machines :)

I would get a trainer help you plan a routine and show you how to properly do exercises (machine or free weights) so you won't hurt yourself.

Personally I preferred machines for particular exercises and used free weights for others. As long as you "squeeze" the muscle you are aiming to improve you should be OK.

Baseline measurement taken today!

Fat percent: 23.9%
Basal metabolic rate: 2066 kcal
Weight: 208.4 lbs (94.6 kg)
Lean mass: 158.6 lbs (72.0 kg)

My goal is to take myself down to 20% fat by talking extra walks when the weather permits. :)

Injured my left hand when a fellow fell on it as I took him down while practicing. It's gonna hurt for a week at least.

Oh. Yes, sex does work but you must be very vigorous while doing it. Slow sex is just fine but you need to get your heart rate up and keep it up :wicked:

I shall be doing my 5.2mi wog (walk+jog) again today. Weeee! <_<

Well I'll post in here at least. I've pretty much not done any exercise since I was about 14, and am incredibly unfit. :( I do think it would be in my benefit to get fit, but am also very lazy. I guess an achievement for me would be to become fitter. I'm not overweight (but not underweight either) so I don't need to loose or gain any weight and any clothes that don't fit me are because I'm too tall. :lol: I'm not a sporty person and never have been, and definitely ain't paying to use the gym at uni (?60 for the year) so there isn't any quantifiable goal for me, other than being able to run any distance. I think one other issue is that I get very hot easily, but aren't as affected by the cold as others, but during winter there is no enthusiasm. :p

I ran 5 minutes or so the other day, and that didn't seem too bad. So maybe I'm fitter than I think but I just don't try. I'll try and get out tomorrow on the first 'session' of that C25K thing :)

?60 for the year!!! bargain

Here at lboro because its full of olympic level athletes they get to use the big gym (which has absolutely everything) for free, but paying punters have to cough up a small fortune. They do have a less hard core gym called LUFS, but last time I went in there I found it way too cramped and lacking in equipment. Its basically got a sauna, steam, hot tub and lots of cross trainers. Thats quite cheap, but it is also useless.

So stuck in LA fitness in town. Bloody hate it, ?30 a month and no matter when you go you are guaranteed never to get on the machines you want. If you must go there in peak hours then getting any machine/weight/bar bell/floor space is an achievement in itself. Way over subscribed and the building just isnt big enough... one set of weights (so if someones using the 12 kg dumbells, tough luck), no stretch cordz, no calf raise machine etc etc and its usually just full of ra boys trying to get massive biceps in the mirrors.

Hoping to duck out the contract and go to the council run gym at the leisure center... they actually have more and better equipment!!

Anyway, wont be doing any running. I hate running... my knees hate running, I can swim 5k without trying but 1-2k of running has my swimmers knees in pain. I should do it as a form of cross training, but I just cant bring myself to do it. Gonna do rock climbing instead.

My goals for this fitness thread are going to be:

slap on some extra beef (currently 75kg, down from 78kg, need to add 10kg) been trying for absolutely ages but my weight just will not budge upwards, it will come down, but I dont want that.
improve the fitness so I can swim that extra beef up n down the pool
break into the low 24's for a standing start 50m freestyle sprint (short course)
break into the 54's for a standing 100m freestyle sprint (short)
sort my bloody backstroke out... I used to be good at it, but as I havent trained specifically focusing on it my hands seem to have lost their memory and my pull is not as efficient as it was.

Already done one competition so far in the new season. Was a bit of a shock, hadn't properly sprinted for months and it showed in the first race (100 IM). Absolutely dire time!! Thankfully it picked up as the meet went on and managed a pretty decent 100 free at 56 seconds, only short of my best by a second.

Here at lboro
Isn't someone else here also at luffbrur? speedtouch himself, maybe?

Anyway, wont be doing any running. I hate running... my knees hate running
Well, there are always those cross-trainers you were moaning about! I far prefer them to running exactly because they're no/low impact.

I just cant bring myself to do it. Gonna do rock climbing instead.
Errr... umm.... Well that's completely different, I'll say that. I will just say though that putting on weight and climbing are somewhere contradictory goals. Climbing won't make you lose weight, obviously, but there is a reason why most climbers are lean mofos - even though you (are supposed to) "climb with your legs", there are times when you're hanging on by fingertips, and the more weight you have the harder that is. Anyway, hug the wall, the wall is your friend!