FG Fitness Challenge

I have 11 symptoms of various ailements - am I fit?

Heart fibrulation
Skin condition
High Blood Pressure
Severe back pain
Persistent cough
Issues with the old 'chap'
Memory issues possibly due to the various medications I am on
Stress due to my job, my family and in particular my grandson just born
Weight issues as I go into compensation eating
Wife going nuts as she goes into womans things. ...

I nominate myself FG old crock of the week.

Last edited:
I nominate myself FG old crock of the week.
:hug:

Sticking to the 'old crock' theme, I've come to the conclusion that cycling 40 miles today on top of yesterday's 7 mile run probably wasn't the best thing to have done. My legs appear to have self destructed!

Well, the lump of whatever it was that was smothering me belt buckle seems to have disappeared after a few weeks of daily belly excersises an' eating a lot less shite. Which is good, even me mam an' our co-worker Linda commented that I look a lot slimmer an' everything is back where it should be. Till I got on the scales an' I've lost BUGGER ALL WEIGHT. I've also cut down the ciggies from about a pack a day to about half a dozen a day too.

So I need to up me game a bit, mainly 'cause I want them hip-bone lines back I used to have an' me thighs not to be touching.

Well a total weight is not that important. Remember a kilo of fat takes up a lot more space than a kilo of muscle. So two people weighing 60 kilos and being the same height can look tremendously different.

Got measurements taken by trainer.

Gained a little bit of muscle and lost fat in every area..... except the gut. Which brought my overall fat %age up.

FFFFFFUUUUU. I need to switch up my routine. Do bicep curls while on a unicycle and inverted rows while somersaulting through a ring of fire.

Man I'm still sore from my monthly "last Monday of the month murder my legs day" ?...

3 sets of everything below while pyramiding up with the weight and down with the reps as follows 12,10,8.

Squats
Weighted lunges
Weighted bench step ups
Romanian dead lifts
Calf raises
Leg press
Swiss ball hamstring curls
Swiss ball quad extension
Plyo box jumps
then....
Run

Got measurements taken by trainer.

Gained a little bit of muscle and lost fat in every area..... except the gut. Which brought my overall fat %age up.
Told you so? You have to be careful when trying to put on muscle, your body is a sneaky bastard.

I'm finally getting on this. Went for a 20km ride today to shake the cobwebs off. Tried to keep cadence around the 80-90 mark. I'll repeat the ride tomorrow and the next day. But it's so flat and boring there's nothing to look at except the road disappearing off into the horizon. There's a reason they filmed Mad Max around here....

Told you so? You have to be careful when trying to put on muscle, your body is a sneaky bastard.

What do you mean I have to be careful? I'm not asking that in a defensive way lol, I'm honestly asking what does that mean? Can you explain a little bit more?

Oh, I meant... err... :lol: Basically look at what you're body is doing. I find mine demands much more food than it really needs to satisfy the growth needs, and just piles it on in the form of fat (as reserves, I suppose). You could try to count your calorie intake and usage, and managed it like that, but I've found it to be a pain.

Oh, I meant... err... :lol: Basically look at what you're body is doing. I find mine demands much more food than it really needs to satisfy the growth needs, and just piles it on in the form of fat (as reserves, I suppose). You could try to count your calorie intake and usage, and managed it like that, but I've found it to be a pain.

While I guess that's true I think it would be better if I just watched what I ate. I'd like to think if I seriously jotted down everything I would psych myself out or I would never do it. I noticed that with a few things that I do, except for work. When I outline all the things to a tee, it never usually works well. If I give myself wiggle room but be disciplined about things then I notice I do much better. So basically I just gotta make sure I don't frequently eat french fries and chocolate or a combo of the 2 :blink:

In other news.... I'm lifting a lot more weight than when I started really doing this 1.5-2 months ago. I'm really excited. All of the 15-27.5 lb dumbbells have the same shape and the 30 lbs - 50 lb dumbbells have a different shape. I was eager to work my way upto those and in almost all of my exercises involving dumbbells I've either reached 30 lbs or surpassed it! I know that's not the 60 or 90 lbs I see other guys doing in the gym, but whatever that's fuckin progress for me. I'm very happy about the future if I can keep this up.

I did the flye exercise today and I started originally at around 70 lbs. I managed friggin 110 lbs today!

First update since October:

Took up running, three to four times a week with ever increases length and more slopes. So far I can manage about an hour of running, and I bought special "the weather can go and f*ck itself" clothes, so no excuses on that front. Apart from that I lost another 5 kg, putting me quite close to my target of about 70 kg (yes I'm actually that small, 168 cm). Only 4 more to go... I also went to a fitness center with a friend, but thought it was a bit weird (no offense to anyone) for me to exercise any muscles I don't really use. So not sure if I should pursue that. And they only had contracts with at least 12 months and I'm not sure if I wanna commit myself for that long. Anyway, my current clothes are getting awfully too big and for the first time ever I actually start to like the way I look (just a bit).

I've been using the Optimum Nutrition Whey for some time and more recently their Casein product. I was just curious if you guys had any unbiased info on their safety? From what I've gathered, the whey is fine but their seems to be some questions about casein (in general, not specifically the one from ON).

After about a week off for sickness, I finally managed to drag my lazy butt into the gym again. I was surprised I'd only lost a bit of strength (about one "notch" on each exercise I did).

^Likewise. Well, running rather than the gym. Haven't run for 10 days as I've been feeling very sorry for myself, but thanks to Wigs giving me a well needed kick up the backside (only a metaphorical one, unfortunately :( ) I went out this evening. 8 miles, 1hr 25mins. Furthest and longest I've EVER run. :banana:

I need to get a set of lower body exercises that I can do. Anyone got suggestions? All I can think of are squats, leg presses, and a machine that works the hamstrings.

And I definitely need to kick it up a notch with core exercises.

I need to get a set of lower body exercises that I can do. Anyone got suggestions? All I can think of are squats, leg presses, and a machine that works the hamstrings.
Actually, I need this too, but preferably without going to a gym because (a) I can't afford it and (b) I'm too shy. (Yes, honestly.) I find with my running that I don't get out of breath at all, but my legs just give up on me. Do I need to build muscle, or is it a stamina thing, or what?

And I definitely need to kick it up a notch with core exercises.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-dumbbell-calf-raise
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/seated-calf-raise
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/calf-press-on-the-leg-press-machine

For the standing you can do it using a Smith machine or barbell; I prefer the Smith machine since I can focus on my calves rather than balancing everything.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/stiff-legged-barbell-deadlift
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/stiff-legged-dumbbell-deadlift

Hamstring machines are good too.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/dumbbell-lunges (can be done with barbell as well)
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-hack-squat

Hack squats isolate the quads more than a normal squat.

Actually, I need this too, but preferably without going to a gym because (a) I can't afford it and (b) I'm too shy. (Yes, honestly.) I find with my running that I don't get out of breath at all, but my legs just give up on me. Do I need to build muscle, or is it a stamina thing, or what?

Sounds like it is just a leg stamina thing, which will improve with time, but a lot of the exercises I posted above you can do at home, or vary them slightly to use household items to perform them.

Last edited:
Reactions: LP
You rock dude! +rep