FG Fitness Challenge

Okay, time to do this. I have to get on the R6 track bike and into my track leathers.

I do not dare try to put on my 1 piece racing suit. It was a tight fit when I bought it 15 years ago :confused:

I do not dare try to put on my 1 piece racing suit. It was a tight fit when I bought it 15 years ago :confused:
Leather shrinks with age.
Both yours and the leather's. :ROFLMAO:

I gotta get back into shape, too. A year with no gym and my recent broken tailbone have been killing me, ugh.

Are you saying this last year has been a pain in your ass?

Are you saying this last year has been a pain in your ass?
My dumb state's leadership certainly is lately. I wouldn't have ***literally busted my ass*** if we hadn't gone out in the ice to try and find drinking water in the water/powerpocalypse.

Anyway, I feel like a bloaty Puffalump from sitting around so much. It's no fun.

Yeah, I feel you.

Decreased activity - no weekly badminton, much less walking around during the day (my flat is simply much smaller than the office), only sporadic getting out at all during winter time - bundled with a really unhealthy diet has given me some kilograms since last summer, and I'd like to get rid of them again.

My target is to get to 90 kg or below come summer, from currrently 97 (was 98 a week ago). No special tactic, just get on my feet and on the bike again and reduce chocolate intake.

I've been meaning to post in this thread for two weeks, but truth to be told, I was kinda afraid to commit. Now it's time to break the circle.

Even before the pandemic, I gained a few pounds, mostly due to eating a lot, and decreased physical activity. The pandemic, of course, didn't help at all.

I just took my measures, I'm 184 cm tall and I weigh at 87 kg, which classifies me as slightly overweight. It's not concerning, considering if I lost just 3 kg, my BMI would be considered 'normal' again, but I want to feel good in my own skin, dammit! Whenever I see my belly, I feel slightly worse about myself. Also, a few of my shirts don't really fit me any more. As it's all a result of physical inactivity and overeating, something that can be changed, why not do something about it?

Now, in normal circumstances, I'd just start going to the gym, but I don't feel like risking it. Working out at home is not really my thing, but I guess I could give it a shot. Still, you can only achieve so much with those, so I thought about running. I've been taking 5 km walks for the past three weeks, and I thought about slowly switching to running. I found the C25K (couch to 5 km) programme at the first page of this thread, which should be helpful, considering I'm a bit out of shape. I installed some C25K app, and now all I have to do is start running!

The bigger problem, though, should be reducing the food consumption. I have a bit of a sweet tooth and a bit of a problem with snacks. Well, I guess I'll have to learn some way to resist temptations and cravings.

Finally, my goal for this? Well, ideally, I'd like to lose my belly fat and change my eating habits to something healthier, but those are moot goals, so to make them more specific, lose 5 kg by September and reduce the consumption of sweets? I'm not sure how achievable that is, but let's give it my best!

So you're as tall as me but already lighter than I aim to be*...:sneaky:

I am joking, of course, but this is serious: Don't focus too much on your weight. Fat percentage is a better number to chase, and even that is not the only goal.
Just improve yourself, get fitter, eat better. Any improvement is good.

*A professional once told me that, with my muscle % and genetics, a healthy weight would be around 90kg. I am probably 20kg away from that right now.

I've been meaning to post in this thread for two weeks, but truth to be told, I was kinda afraid to commit. Now it's time to break the circle.

Even before the pandemic, I gained a few pounds, mostly due to eating a lot, and decreased physical activity. The pandemic, of course, didn't help at all.

I just took my measures, I'm 184 cm tall and I weigh at 87 kg, which classifies me as slightly overweight. It's not concerning, considering if I lost just 3 kg, my BMI would be considered 'normal' again, but I want to feel good in my own skin, dammit! Whenever I see my belly, I feel slightly worse about myself. Also, a few of my shirts don't really fit me any more. As it's all a result of physical inactivity and overeating, something that can be changed, why not do something about it?

Now, in normal circumstances, I'd just start going to the gym, but I don't feel like risking it. Working out at home is not really my thing, but I guess I could give it a shot. Still, you can only achieve so much with those, so I thought about running. I've been taking 5 km walks for the past three weeks, and I thought about slowly switching to running. I found the C25K (couch to 5 km) programme at the first page of this thread, which should be helpful, considering I'm a bit out of shape. I installed some C25K app, and now all I have to do is start running!

The bigger problem, though, should be reducing the food consumption. I have a bit of a sweet tooth and a bit of a problem with snacks. Well, I guess I'll have to learn some way to resist temptations and cravings.

Finally, my goal for this? Well, ideally, I'd like to lose my belly fat and change my eating habits to something healthier, but those are moot goals, so to make them more specific, lose 5 kg by September and reduce the consumption of sweets? I'm not sure how achievable that is, but let's give it my best!

Glad that you're motivated! Don't worry about the numbers. Just focus on reduction as best as you can, you'll start to feel better almost immediately. Once you get into the routine and your body and mind get used to the reductions and lack of temptations, then you can start adding on whatever you want like exercise.

People go apeshit when they do this (myself included), and just go whole hog with diet and exercise and fasting and this and that and they crash and burn after a couple of days. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck!

I lost 10 kilos during the pandemic. Less sweets and running, running, running.

nothing new here. Not fatter, not thinner either.

For a bit of gamification, I've signed up for the yearly cycling challenge done by a German health insurance company. The goal is to motivate people to go to work by bicycle, but because these days many people work from home, not only commuting counts, but every ride.

So, after achieving 49 days last year, I've set my target to do some cycling (no target distance) on 50 days from May till September, meaning just about every third day on average, not accounting for weeks lost due to vacation.
The shitty weather in May had set me back quite a bit, but by cycling every day since Friday, I've managed to end the first of the five months with 9 days done.
By end of June, I want to be in the plus, preferrably at about 25 days, despite losing 8 days to a vacation. Let's see how that works out. :)

The gym is back sans masks required here. Austin in general has been very Not Texas about taking this seriously and I've got both shots anyway, so after thinking about it a bit, I'm back at the gym, too. Probably going to focus on easy cardio stuff to start off with to just de-puff.

The sauna's open with reservations, too. YES.

Last year I set my goal for 2021 to 10k km cycling, currently I'm at 5053 (plus a couple of rides to the supermarket which I don't track since it's just 500 m one-way) which is right on track for those 10k. I'm planning on cycling to my sister in Tübingen in September (about 750 km one-way, back by train) plus the Strava Festive 500 (cycling 500 km in total between christmas eve and new year's eve) so that shouldn't be a problem to get those remaining 4947 km in more than 6 months. :)

Ran 4km for the first time ever.
Didn't die. Actually kinda enjoyed it.

The longest non-stop run I was able to do was 3km.

I can do 4 km if I alternate between running and walking, but that doesn't really count.

The longest non-stop run I was able to do was 3km.

I can do 4 km if I alternate between running and walking, but that doesn't really count.
I don't run very fast, but that still counts, I guess?