FG Fitness Challenge

I still haven't managed to run a 5k, but I have now done 4k 3 times.

I ran this morning hoping to beat the heat, since the forecast is for 33° later today, but with the humidity, it was already 27.

To top it off, part of my run have some shade from the trees, but other part offer zero protection.

After 2 km I was feeling tired, but I pushed myself to do at least 3k. And in the end, I pushed through 4k.

Now I need to start running twice a week instead of just once, and hope that it helps with progress.

Screenshot_20210810-095736.jpg

Last edited:
Finally did it! Slow, just over 45 minutes, but I was less tired than I usually am after 3 or 4 km.

I kept my watch on the heartrate screen, and tried to keep it around 150 at first, then 160, 170 and finally 180 for the last km.

Screenshot_20210817-115235.jpg

Screenshot_20210817-115353.jpg

Edit : Forgot the most important part, now I need to do 6k before @Redliner

Last edited:
Happened to check this thread at a correct time and thought yeah, I could go for a short evening stint. I thought I hadn't tested my new HR strap while running (I had), but got going with that at least. And again, mouth and nosebleed for a good while after the run. That has been a trend for a while this summer.

AM-JKLU5w-AIdEkdPSIeCwOf9BxqhSuVG-VOSz-2GJhwCbfsEFN8p1pnQq5kuxjKwsXiOeBru98UaG3nGtCn-4V7YpH8lwYvY1f7nWp7iRrWbgU4vd2PUNd-g4JebLJdGufhzUa2kBUZn8VqCzB06_Nsf1mBBA=w1066-h1242-no

Last edited:
Finally did it! Slow, just over 45 minutes, but I was less tired than I usually am after 3 or 4 km.
Nice! :thumbsup:

I kept my watch on the heartrate screen, and tried to keep it around 150 at first, then 160, 170 and finally 180 for the last km.
Yup, that's the way to go - you can't go the distance starting at 170 bpm, once you do it regularly you can slowly pick up the pace. It's not a quick process if you don't run five times a week so don't expect to get an 8:00 pace in a couple of weeks, but you'll get there eventually. :)

Edit : Forgot the most important part, now I need to do 6k before @Redliner
Wait, what?
Is this a race now? :LOL:
Shit, I just got home from a 11-day vacation. I walked 15 km every day, but that doesn't count for cardio.
It's not a quick process if you don't run five times a week so don't expect to get an 8:00 pace in a couple of weeks, but you'll get there eventually. :)
I do run 6 times a week. Just 2km and not very fast, but I do. :cool:

Jokes and mind games aside, keep at it @RdKetchup . Good job.

And again, mouth and nosebleed for a good while after the run.

Dude I don't want to tell you what to do but you should get that checked out. The 190 HR also worries me more, you need to slow down.

1630318514550.png

@RdKetchup :poop:

Now I will die a little. Be right back.

Dude I don't want to tell you what to do but you should get that checked out. The 190 HR also worries me more, you need to slow down.

I'm getting old, can't get it up anymore.. :mrgreen: I've always been a high revving example, peak HR used to be around 205 and I could keep the average up around 180 for an hour with some sports.

I'll definitely ask about the nose bleed thing the next time I get a blood test. It's not that uncommon for me, but not this regularly.

Tried the same route with various speeds. For science!

Walking pace, being bored AF. Can't even say bored out of my mind, as I couldn't get over the thought of how boring this is. :D
AM-JKLUz3j56xal56EyA3KChF90v51UmmfsUaKvaUkM2oZf05S53jcWUV49LrOzc1WxpcxDMZijuWOZvU6TM9_U1H4sHIVSrIl5WlRckS6B-nbbjEzPkjIM6sgiCXht17Fb8CR0Cv-wf1IYJX0P_akGWzNwOuQ=w1040-h1154-no

Sprinting pace. And as I haven't done any kind of peak speed/power training in at least a year, the peak speed was depressingly low. Not that I'd ever been a fast runner, I lack the rhythmic skills to keep the pace for more than few seconds before I lose focus. But at least the average HR reflects my efforts.
AM-JKLXWX1v6kVD6G_WWO_zaztUAbmLB6E3xI56k1q_a3KVqel2uG16NFM4aKQVv_LPudb15PSRELT-6rJtWB9DaFU2wmWUfMqxBX7AFhaL4ZRBWYHp8Jzwsj2K47UXxxNnCqdjEJXWPoDwdoIkm5FyaaY5OwQ=w1040-h1154-no

Still haven't run a 6k (actually my target should now be 7 :p ), but just did my second 5k, and I improved my time by 6.5 minutes.

Screenshot_20210906-172823.jpg

And I just realized that today is the 1 year anniversary of me starting running as a semi regular activity.

1 year ago:

Screenshot_20210906-172659__01.jpg

Still can't get my 5k time back under 27 minutes after my arterial malfunction in April. Have not dared 7 or even 10k. Pre-surgery best was 10k in 58: something.

Back in June I got a new bike and started riding in earnest again after basically a 4 year break, and started riding regularly again, when weather was dry. In July, when it was raining too much to be able to reliably find a 1 hour break in the rain, I decided to try running to at least get some cardio exercise in, and actually liked it right off the bat. I started off doing some 2.5km-ish runs, and been slowly increasing distance since. From early August I really tried to keep up a rhythm of doing 3 rides and a minimum of 3 runs a week. And I've managed to keep that up until now.

Currently, cycling is up to 100ish km a week, depending on time and weather, and yesterday I managed my first 5k, in a very unimpressing 33 minutes, but who cares. I made it.

photo1631260334.jpeg

So after Wednesday's success documented above, I decided to try to run my first 7K since surgery. At the 6km mark I felt like I won't make it. But with Mr. Kilmister's Rickenbacker providing a steady pace, at 7km I felt good enough to continue running.
photo_2021-09-10_19-31-45.jpg

And somehow ended up with one of my, if not my all-time, best 10km times. I will feel the pain tomorrow but for now it's amazing.

If someone's interested, the rather boring route is 5 laps around Töölönlahti:
ud9wr_20200225_30.png

Sanna Marin runs here as well.

Last edited:
Show-off :p

Here's how you meet a prime minister, while jogging..

Speaking of running, genuine question, what's the limiting factor when you are talking about extending the running distance?

I assume because I'm a lightweight and have always been in "some" shape, I can just set off and go for as long as I get bored. Not sure if I've ever ran more than 8km to test this, but then again, I run like 5-6 times a year, if that.