FG N?rburgring weekend meet - July 19th/20th, 2008

FG N?rburgring weekend meet - July 19th/20th, 2008

• Total voters
1.) is the decision to camp final? If so, how much time do I have to make a reservation (or is it too late already?)

No decision yet.

2.) is there a list of cars that will go around? I'm not sure my old man's car would feel OK in a company of 300+ hp beasts ...

:lol: If we add them up it'll be 300+ hp, just look at the cars in the profiles of those who voted.

Dunno about the 3rd question.

Couple of questions:
1.) is the decision to camp final? If so, how much time do I have to make a reservation (or is it too late already?)

No reservation necessary ... just drive to the campsite M?llenbach ... on a VLN weekend there are not that much guests

confusing website

not so confusing directions to the entrance

12 EUR a night & person

2.) is there a list of cars that will go around? I'm not sure my old man's car would feel OK in a company of 300+ hp beasts ...

I guess there will be no finalgear 300+ hp beasts ... but on a nice sunday ... there will be pretty much anything between 2 and 6 wheels on the track ...

3.) how much wear of the car should I expect (if I don't crash, that is :) )? I suppose the tires don't particularly enjoy going around ... How about other parts? Any first hand experience would be appreciated.

I've never driven arround the track ... but I'ld guess there is as much wear to be expected as a fast ride on a normal road.

Greetings
Michael

No reservation necessary ... just drive to the campsite M?llenbach ... on a VLN weekend there are not that much guests

confusing website

not so confusing directions to the entrance

12 EUR a night & person

Oh I almost forgot ... maybe you don't have to stay on the official campsite ... I've seen a lot of people pitching their tents on the grassland arround the Nordschleife (I guess for free on a VLN weekend) ... ususally near Pflanzgarten or Br?nnchen ... but you should ask someone if it's allowed on that weekend ... of course no electric power an no toilets

I'll stay at the campsite M?llenbach (thursday-sunday) with a lot non-finalgear friends (arround 20 people I guess) ... unfortunatly I can't invite you to the birthday party saturday evening, cause it's not my party ...

We plan to stay somewhere near the spots marked 1, 2, 10, 14 or 15 on that map

If mgkdk can give me her cellphone number I can give her our exact location thursday evening

Greetings Michael

There are BUSES going around, you'll be just fine :)

3.) how much wear of the car should I expect (if I don't crash, that is :) )? I suppose the tires don't particularly enjoy going around ... How about other parts? Any first hand experience would be appreciated.

On few laps nothing will happen. The worst part about road cars are brakes I guess, just take it easy if you feel them fading. Also take away or properly secure everything loose in the car which can potentially fly and hit you in the head or get stuck under the brake pedal (this is the reason I take driver's carpet away too).
And although not many others seem to do it, I'll be taking my helmet as well :) So if there's even a bike helmet lying around somewhere, it's very cheap and easy protection just in case..

Oh I almost forgot ... maybe you don't have to stay on the official campsite ... I've seen a lot of people pitching their tents on the grassland arround the Nordschleife (I guess for free on a VLN weekend) ... ususally near Pflanzgarten or Br?nnchen ... but you should ask someone if it's allowed on that weekend ... of course no electric power an no toilets

I'm getting too old for sleeping in the middle of a field with no toilet :wheelchair: :lol: . Not to mention the fact that I would be coming with my girlfriend ... I don't think telling her we'll be sleeping "nowhere" would be good for my health. :lol: Besides, 12 EUR sounds reasonable. And OMG, what were they thinking with that website???

@ MXM: Thanks for the tips, helmet sounds like a pretty good idea ... And as for the brakes, so far I never managed to overheat them, but then again, I've never driven on the Ring.

@ mgkdk: There are no other cool options besides camping, right? Hotels, motels, apartments ... Too expensive, booked, sth else?

Last edited:
@ mgkdk: There are no other cool options besides camping, right? Hotels, motels, apartments ... Too expensive, booked, sth else?

There are, but since a bunch of us planned to stay at the same hotel, we didn't find one with enough free single rooms.

I havent got a driver's license, but having spent enough time talking to pro drivers at the ring a multitude of times, I think one of the major yet often ignored thing is never to park your car in handbrake after a good lap. Apparently it can screw the brakes up.

I found out that I was worried most about the brakes in my car after two laps. especially on less poweful cars they're not really layed out for permanent hard work, but a trip through the Alps shouldn't do any more harm I guess.

Still not sure whether I'll make it and how long I'll be able to stay - if I do mak eit, I can offer transport from Frankfurt to the ring and back.

I found out that I was worried most about the brakes in my car after two laps.

It's probably a good idea to drive rather slow on the last part of the lap (the long straight D?ttinger H?he) and do a "cooldown lap" through N?rburg before you park your car

Greetings Michael

The last time I went round, my brakes became so hot, I boiled my fluid, ruined all four pads and everybody was pointing at my wheels, because smoke was billowing out of them until they cooled. That's after one lap. 20km killed my brakes.

The Ring is very hard on your car, never question that.

The last time I went round, my brakes became so hot, I boiled my fluid, ruined all four pads and everybody was pointing at my wheels, because smoke was billowing out of them until they cooled. That's after one lap. 20km killed my brakes.

You mean eight? ;)

Last time I used the fluid which can stand the highest temperature out of those I was able to find, and I still felt the brakes fading after the second lap. I blamed it on pads back then. This time I got better pads :) The limiting factor for me are the tiny 1-piston calipers which can't dissipate much heat.

Note to self: Check brakes

You mean eight? ;)

Fucking nazis :p

I was driving very quickly though (all out), so driving around at a reasonable speed doesn't do a lot of damage.

I don't think im going to drive that fast around the ring... Ruining my brakes would be quite bad. Poor little car probably only has one caliper brakes other than the drumbrakes on the rear.

Last edited:
AND I REMEMBER your Carisma smelling for 2h AFTER you completed your lap:p