Ownership Verified: FG's first MQB? '15 Audi A3 1.2 TFSI

M_Bolc

Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 1.2TFSI
I picked up my new car last Tuesday.

This is the new Audi A3 just hitting the markets on this side of the pond.

For Costa Rica we got an unusual combination as the volume model, 3 or 5 door hatchback, 1.2TFSI engine and a 5 speed gearbox. From what I read this engine is available in Germany and the UK with a 6 speed box. I'm not sure of its availability outside those countries. It surprises me that Audi would build a special configuration for such a small market.

In order to simplify the purchase process we have 3 hatchback trim levels to chose from. This one which is the basic kit, the next version up includes larger wheels and a sunroof, and finally the 1.8Ts (unfortunately out of stock when I bought mine).

We also get the sedan in various versions, starting with the 1.8T and going up to S3s.

Thankfully they all come very well equipped with fog lights, MMI Radio, automatic lights, rain sensing wipers, cruise control, 7 airbags, TPMS, multifunction steering wheel, and other doo-dads.

The weather finally doesn't suck so I grabbed some rushed pictures with my phone today. I'll take better shots after work.

First off, a family picture.
2003, 2006, and 2015 in chronological order.

Front

Front 3/4

Rear

I love the detailing around and inside the air vents. You can push the little "nipple" in the middle and it will just sort of radiate the A/C around the outer circle, pull the little knob and you get the usual air blast to cool you quickly.

Driver's POV. I really like the tone of white Audi uses on its dials. It looks so clean.

Proof pic

Reactions: lip
More cars need round vents.

Looks great, although you could have gone for a bit more exciting colour. :p

Best choice of the three, then (don't listen to the brown car appreciation society!). Now paint the wheels blue. :p

Congrats! :thumbsup:

It's not FG's first MQB though. There's a Golf or two here.

So they don't offer the 1.4 TSI over there? Shame as the 1.2 is a bit weedy comparatively... Still an extremely nice car (just don't try and drive it sportily...)

And you should have gone for the dark grey - silver is so bland its not even a colour anymore :p

Yeah the jump from 1.2 to 1.8 sounds rather big.

The 1.4 is offered (and is the only engine choice) for the A1. The A3s go from 1.2T to 1.8T.

The problem with the dark grey is that the interior was light gray. I don't have kids, but that color is difficult to keep clean.

I find the 1.2 to be a jewel of an engine, smooth, extremely economical, and perfect for city driving. Slap it into third and forget it. It revs freely without fuss up to the redline (I thrashed the demo car, not mine) which actually feels too low, and it is supremely quiet.

Even though we got the shaft and can only buy a 5 speed the ratios are very well spaced, and at 100km/h it sits at about 2100rpm.

Don't turn all Audi on us and drive up everyone's backside :)

Congrats on the new wheels. How's the interior quality, where an Audi should shine? MOAR pics!

The interior is top notch. The fact that the dashboard is very minimalist with only three knobs for the aircon and a couple of necessary buttons is striking.

All car controls are managed from the MMI and its retractable screen. There are four buttons, two toggle switches, a big scroll wheel that is also a button and the volume knob. That's it. The system is very intuitive and is key to unclutter the controls.

It it started raining again today, I'll take time tomorrow to snap more pics.

I have been driving the twin sister of your car for the past 2 weeks (just a rental), except I got the 5 door with the s-tronic transmission (I believe it's a DSG), and I'm not sure if the engine is the 1.2 or 1.4 (probably the 1.2).

Pretty nice car to drive :)

I don't think the MQB cars come with any other kind of automatic except DSG.

And it's very easy to tell the difference. A DSG feels like a normal manual car when you let go of the brake. It lifts the clutch and applies throttle if necessary not to stall. A slushbox doesn't work like that.

:nod: no non-DSG autos in MQB cars yet. MLB Audis can come with the multitronic CVT or the 8-speed tiptronic though.

Last edited:
I like the air vents. Nice to hear people actually still buy petrol Audis. :)

For balance I'm afraid I think it suffers from the 'wheels too small' issue that a lot of cars have these days. They look tiny compared to the body.

I like the air vents. Nice to hear people actually still buy petrol Audis. :)

For balance I'm afraid I think it suffers from the 'wheels too small' issue that a lot of cars have these days. They look tiny compared to the body.
Audi only recently started selling diesel powered cars in North America, with the 2014 A7 and A8. Every other model only comes in petrol. Not sure if it's any different in Costa Rica.

And it's very easy to tell the difference. A DSG feels like a normal manual car when you let go of the brake. It lifts the clutch and applies throttle if necessary not to stall. A slushbox doesn't work like that.

You see, this is something that I hate in "regular" automatics.
I don't want the car to move forward until I press the throttle.

I know, no one cares. :p