• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

FIA propose radical twin rear wing for F1 in 2007

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
2006 MY07 Astra SRi Turbo
http://img426.imageshack.**/img426/3984/533634qr.jpg
http://img426.imageshack.**/img426/961/533666ag.jpg
http://img426.imageshack.**/img426/1017/533655ze.jpg
http://img454.imageshack.**/img454/1048/533643lj.jpg

Full story

Weird as hell - but if it works and lets cars follow each other closely then I'm all for it.

I'm not too sure if I like this change...

I'm with fbc. If it improves the racing, I'm all for it. They need to make wholesale changes about reducing the aerodynamic influence on the category. Aerodynamic aids sure make for a fast car as a standalone entitiy, but it sure destroys competitive racing.

i like the idea
f1 is a hightech formula and should try something new from time to time

Surely you're bound to lose some rear downforce, it's lost it's area by a third!!

flyingfridge said:
I'm with fbc. If it improves the racing, I'm all for it. They need to make wholesale changes about reducing the aerodynamic influence on the category. Aerodynamic aids sure make for a fast car as a standalone entitiy, but it sure destroys competitive racing.

andyhui01 said:
hmm... does it work better?... I know the Ferrari FXX does it
And the Zonda. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that yet (or everybody's just too smart to otherwise).

I'm for it as well. F1 needs to mix it up occasionally.

Big thing in the big article: If this wing happens, F1 will go back to slick tyres...

flyingfridge said:
Big thing in the big article: If this wing happens, F1 will go back to slick tyres...

:thumbsup: How the hell did I miss that when I read the article?? Must've been distracted by the images :unsure:

Anything that makes it more interesting

and the teams agree:
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=102010
The most radical suggestion was the new double rear wing concept which would go hand in hand with a return to slick tyres. There was agreement among all parties on this count and could come in as soon as 2007, subject to approval by team technical directors.

BlaRo said:
andyhui01 said:
hmm... does it work better?... I know the Ferrari FXX does it
And the Zonda. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that yet (or everybody's just too smart to otherwise).

I'm for it as well. F1 needs to mix it up occasionally.

and it equals a lot less downforce...notie how the zonda F has one-piece?

^just look at your sig. Now wing doesn't cover tires, but it will in new design. So there will not be necessarily much lower downforce

MXM said:
^just look at your sig. Now wing doesn't cover tires, but it will in new design. So there will not be necessarily much lower downforce

exactly! and i think there will be more downforce, because the moment of the force is the same for both but in this system the distance between the wing and the tyre is less which means more force, I think :D

MXM said:

accutaly, i still think there is going to be decreased downforce...theres evidence for it since the srticle says that with the new downforce package, there will be slick tires again...and the reason they took out slicks in the first place was because downforce of the cars got too good and as a result, the cars became too fast.

F1 was always about being the best, the fastest, all thses rules are too limiting. There has to be some rules so as it doesn't get stupid but there's none of the huge advances that teams used to make, all they can do is ad little aerodynamic bits and bobs. It's boring.

If it means making F1 an exciting motor sport once again, then I'm all for it!

Greatgraddage said:
F1 was always about being the best, the fastest, all thses rules are too limiting. There has to be some rules so as it doesn't get stupid but there's none of the huge advances that teams used to make, all they can do is ad little aerodynamic bits and bobs. It's boring.

Yes I agree to a point, F1 should be the most unlimited and fastest category. But if you do that, it becomes boring as it is now. The reason it's boring isn't because of the limitations, it's because the aerodynamic influence on the category is too high. Good racing means mechanical grip. Aerodynamics make a fast car but kill good racing. With this wing creating the downward wash and slick tyres making better mechinical grip, the racing will get a hell of a lot better. Bring it on I say!!!

It'd be nice to see some rules regulating tyre compound more. It seems that's what's making the cars so fast. If tyre compound is regulated, say to something similar to the 1997 slick compounds when they last raced slicks, then the amount of tyre grip would be reduced and the onus for creating the grip is on the team engineers more.