Fifth Gear is better

I think the only good thing about Fifth Gear is Tiff.

this is true, but whats sad is that hes not even a good all around presenter, he relies on his great driving ability to make up for his very dull reviewing style, devoid of any real fun, humor that we actually find funny, and that irritating voice that always sound on the verge of crying.

The last season of Top Gear was mainly lacking because of Richard's accident.

This season of Fifth Gear isn't bad, but I find Vicky annoying, the cafe parts just suck, and none of the presenters really just don't generally gel as well together as the Top Gear three does. Well, maybe Tom and Johnny, but that's about it. Why does Tiff never show up at the cafe? He reviews feel so detached these days.. and we get it, he's a utterly fantastic driver, but come on, we don't need a reminder every 3.24 seconds.

Tom is by far my favorite, followed by Jason, then Johnny.

Why is Vicky allways telling us how she loves tiffs driving, it's the fastest driver etc etc in every episode. It's like it's a programme for children.

its certainly begun to improve. they really dumbed it down there for a while with the restyling and that idiot presenter guy.

Top Gear > Fifth Gear

Just found out fifth gear is back, and i have to say its good. And after beeing deprived of any car related stuff in the last top gear season with the tractors, road building, space rockets and so on, i think fifth gear is acually closing in on top gear in terms of quality and car entertainment value (seeing topgear is moving away from car entertainmet and on to just entertainment, wich lets face it, their not that good at). If top gear and fifth gear were political parties and there was and election now i think i would acually vote for fifth gear just to stick it to top gear. :blink:

Why would you watch a tv show for real car reviews anyway? You can't be that technical on a tv show, when I want a real car review I buy a magazine. tv is for entertainment, and at that TG is MILES better than FG. How can you not notice that FG just copies old TG segments and changes them a bit. You thought the road building was silly? How about the pot hole filling in FG? That was pathetic. Everything that new Smith guy does is a sad pathetic copy of a TG segment.

Remember his first ever bit about how "amazing" it was to run a Mercedes on chip oil? TG had already done a segment the same in their first season of the new series! On top of which anyone who knows their engineering history would know that Rudolph Diesel invented the Diesel engine to run on vegetable oil in the first place so there's nothing "amazing" about it at all anyway. The oil biz was just there with an existing distribution network and a cheap product so everyone forgot about the vegetable oil thing.

I think FG gets worse every time they change it. First they tried to copy TG's studio setup by having an "office" That lasted all of one season. They copied the time attack chart from TG, which was quickly shelved for the following season. They are always reacting to TG never going their own way with something new.

They desperately need a new producer with some good ideas!

Fifth Gear is on the way back up and I am starting to remember why I watched it along with Top Gear.

I'm not deranged so I still think Top Gear is better but I'm one of those who is against the show's new, decidedly more commercial format. I always thought Fifth Gear was better as a serious car show and now that TG is becoming more and more of a general entertainment show, I appreciate even more the more serious nature of Fifth Gear.

Though I'm a fan of FG, I realize it's artistically no where close to TG. I believe TG is just on another level. However, FG definitely improving after the disastrous season 10. Johnny is great and I enjoy all the reviews the team does, but there's still a few things that bother me:

1. What's with the stupid celebrity stunts? Stupid and boring.
2. We need shootouts with REAL cars. Not vans and Renaults.
2. VICKI NEEDS TO STOP WEARING THOSE JACKETS.

this is true, but whats sad is that hes not even a good all around presenter, he relies on his great driving ability to make up for his very dull reviewing style, devoid of any real fun, humor that we actually find funny, and that irritating voice that always sound on the verge of crying.

I think his voice is very soothing and relaxing.

I would say FG is on it's way back after a disasterous tenth season, but what I find most annoying are the stupid celebrity interviews, the ones like jay kay's interview where they go through their massive car collection are okay, but the stupid ones like the bungee jump and the John Travolta interview were just plain rubbish.

Why shouldn't Top Gear have car reviews? It's what they do best! Fifth Gear is better than Top Gear?? No way..... There were some decent reviews this season but a lot of the segments were terrible.

"Fifth gear better than Top Gear" :lmao:

Fifth gear did get a bit better , but its still something just to fill the gaps when there is no Top Gear ( The ultimate show ever)

Last edited:
Just saw 12x01. Amazing - I'm sold. As far as I'm concerned the gap is closed.

Indeed....a LOT of what I saw on 12X01 was more entertaining and informative than a LOT of what I saw in TG's last season. Folks....the formula isn't hard. Have well-spoken, entertaining people go out and drive fast cars and have fun doing it. There wasn't NEARLY enough of that last year on TG...and after I got past the celebrity garbage on 12X01, the new Fifth Gear fit that bill quite nicely, thank you.

What I want to see is a lot of "WOW, watch this (fill in the blank with car's name) do THIS!" I'm not really interested in forced humor while paving a road or (UGH!) plowing a field. One more bloody tractor film and TG will have officially Jumped the Shark.

A fine first show, Fifth Gear. Now, let's see about a dozen more! ;)

Last edited:
I'm as big a fan of FG as anyone, but if you guys think Tiff and the gang are on the same plateau as TG even after the excellent season 12 opener, you're crazy.

I like them both - and thank my lucky stars that they are available off air (i.e. on the big TV screen) here.

EDIT/ Tiff actually is a "driving god". ... He can talk about the car he is in and then spin the car to a stop with a fixed camera in his car to pointing to a static car outside in central frame - "and now for the competition".

800.000k viewers for this week's FG episode = almost 1/10 of every single season 9 TG episode, so i guess you can call it "closing up the gap".

audience doesn't mean anything.

It's like saying that madonna is better than emerson lake and palmer. Doesn't make sense.

I enjoyed the first and the second episode of the new series! I'm not a big fan of FG but I liked very much the veyron stuff and the r8vs911.