Fifth Gear is rubbish...

Fifth Gear

Fifth Gear

I did and I toldthem what I thought. That set is awful and that "presenter". It's got to be the worst series yet. Why would you employ someone who knows * all about cars on a motoring programme ? Bring back JP on a far more regular basis and let's see more of Tom Ford's foolery and less of the Lovejoy "presenter" cos clearly he isn't - neither a love nor a joy to watch. Why would you spend valuable minutes plugging a segway race ? That's just stupid. The sooner Richard Hammond is better....

jayhawk said:
Complain all you want...but a terrible episode of Fifth Gear is quite a bit better than a good episode of an American car show.

jayhawk, you sound like me: an American (sorry for the insult if you're not) who has to download TG and FG because the richest nation in the world can't make a decent car show to save its own ass.

I mean, have you TRIED to watch that crap on the "Speed Network"? OMG. I could listen to Vicky and Tim LoveMySelf for hours before I'd watch "Sports Car Revolution" one more time. Ugh.

And yet, it is very sad to see FG stumble so badly.

New name for Fifth Gear

New name for Fifth Gear

Well, watching Episode 5 I have come to this conclusion.

Fifth Gear needs a new name.

We have 4 presenters already - Tiff, Tom, Vicki, and Jon. In honour of the new presenter we shall name the program

Fifth Cock.

Jeez...

Fifth Gear

Fifth Gear

I quite agree with the posters who say that the new series is the worst ever - and I must have watched most of the previous series on Sky or wherever.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
flyingfridge said:
no, i've seen the latest series. Even David Morley, a truly peerless print journalist looks like a half-wit fucktard hack on that show.
I'm not backing down on this one :p

Someone else watch some of the vids contained in the link I posted before. That program is better than Fifth Gear. Look at the content of each episode - CARS - even some really good ones. Yeah so the presenters are shit, but theres more petrol head action than stupid Fifth Gear.

oh man the aussie guy is terrible but hilarious at the same time... golden stuff

on the bmw 130i - it looks like a busted sand shoe lol!

and astoundingly good or astoundingly crap. lol blunt and to the point.

5th gear this season sucks the big one

tim lovesitupthebumjoy just hams it up everytime he's on camera, and so far inbetween the craptastic banter with vicki (who really needs to tone down the ooo look im a girl on car show look at me! i squeal and flirt and pull funny faces and unfunny jokes like a champ!) they have him doing completely and utterly gash features.

im guessing the theme with timmy is for vicki to be the domineering vixen who's gonna teach timmy boy how to drive properly or something. he should be hung.

Tiff is his usual good self, tho that A-team van feature was utterly rubbish. Jason and Tom are also, for the most part on form, but they never really seem to be on the screen at he same time.

it gives the show a very disjointed feel. we know all the segments are filmed seperately, but when you watch it you actually feel like its just a bunch of clips cobbled together by a few blokes in each corner of the world. so they dont give Tiff, Tom and jason any chance to get some on air chemistry going.

and as for chemistry, the reactions happened and the half-life of what was left can be measured in nano-seconds when it comes to vicki and loveboy. its just not there, their act feels very false indeed, and it almost seems like they're presenting through gritted teeth and forced smiles.

half the draw of topgear is simlpy jeremy, hamster and may mixing it up in the studio, most double team presenters cant do it that well. fifth gears presenting feels forced.

the celebrity driving thing is utter bollocks, i mean who on earth wants to see freddy cockbag flintoff learning to drive a lambo? the guy goes to my uni and hes a complete twat. theyre not even real celebrities!, TG can haul the big guys in for sure, having people like gambon, fry and numerous comedy heros on the show is worth doing. but having git-faced sports goons is just CRAP.

series 9 was by far the best, the segments were usually interesting especially the ones tiff and jason produced. the office environment while fake, at least helped get the presenters all in the same frame at once, and got them discussing things. and John Culshaws little segments were actually very entertaining i thought, i think he has a good simple style of presenting and it works very well for him. Review wise they were actually better than TG in that respect, as series 8 TG seemed to focus on the 3 stooges hilarious attempts at working together.

they need to bomb that cafe, its rubbish, and im sure the people in the background are plants.

timmy "look at me im on a car show and i havent got a clue" joyboy should be put in a 2 seater F1 car with schumacher at the wheel and he should be subjected to G-forces until he's dead

EDIT: also i think tom ford is maybe pushed out a little from the show, he does afterall write for top gear magazine so maybe theyre not letting him do too much because of that

I am not even gonna bother watching fifth season, I've heard nothing but bad of it. Tiff needs to get his own show...with Alan de Cadenet perhaps 8)

WTF was with the cup shite? Ohhh i'v got a stripy cup ?!?!! whoooo

Is that how much of a budget there on?!

They are trying way too hard. The last episode was the worst, Lovejoy saying that "our jobs are safe" WTF, yeah right! Whos gonna be the first to get fired :)

Without Tim Lovejoy, I think the show can improve a bit (I'm totally biased against him, I'm sorry)

I think we're all pretty much in agreement about how the show has suffered from a few changes and the addition of a know nothing host. While watching the current episode and hearing Lovejoy scoff at the videos coming in for "Fifth Gear Idol", an idea came to mind. Since they are inviting anyone to send in a 1 minute video clip for the competition, what better way could there be to show our displeasure of the changes by imitating Lovejoy and others. This might drive the point home to them, and maybe things could change. Either way it might be quite gratifying. Anyone else agree?

Have at it! Entries accepted until the 1st of December.

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain...n=Fifth Gear Idol&show=s10e2&section=Consumer

So long fifth gear....

So long fifth gear....

Earlier seasons of Fifth gear have been very good IMO, different from Top Gear but good in their own style. I enjoy going back and watching them from time to time.

This season tho' is so bad that I have stopped watching part way through almost every show I've downloaded. After watching the last one I deleted all of series 10 from my hard drive and do not plan to download any more...just a waste of time. :(

If Tiff, Jason, Tom and John decide to kick the other baffoons off the show or start another show of their own I'll toon back in but in the mean time....
So long Fifth Gear, it used to be fun.

Heh my first post, shows my frustration at this abortion called fifth gear.

To: fifthgear@five.tv
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 11:37 AM
Subject: What have you done!!!

Congratulations, you've finally killed fifth gear.

Its gone from a program that every person in the office talk about the morning after the show, to a program we all talk about how BAD the show has become.

What exactly was the justification for employing Tim Lovejoy, he knows nothing about cars, and makes the show UNWATCHABLE.

We have 30 people in the office of which 20 are 20-something-males who used to watch Fifth Gear Religiously.

Now 5 still watch (And every week comment on the abysmal Tim Lovejoy) , the 6 of us record it so we can skip the Tim Lovejoy and actually get to the cars (Of which every weeks seems to be about 15mins). and the rest no longer bother.

And whats with the cafe? Why not just have car reports like you used to. The show has deteriorated so much in the last 2 seasons, (With the pointless office and the cafe)

The whole VBH and Lovejoy presenting is rediculious, its like there is a level of sexual frustration everytime they talk.

It seems like you've alienated you audience. If Tim had a small segment every week, like Tom, then it wouldn't be too bad, but we are forced to watch him at every link.

I know i'm not unique in what i'm saying, many many many many many forum posts confirm this, i'm also guessing the viewing figures will backup what i'm saying, you've managed to cock up the only good factual based car show on the telly.

Congratulations, you've now managed to get me addicted to Rogue Traders on BBC One.

David

Last edited:
OK. Fifth Gear sucks. We all get it.

Do we need to continue using valuable bandwidth expressing it? I think the real problem is that Top Gear sets the bar so high, no other motoring show, unless they copy Top Gear, will ever come close. While Fifth Gear is bad, the concept is still miles ahead of anything we have in the United States. Every time Sunday rolls around and I flip it to Motorweek, I cringe, cry, and carbunkle.

So we have a problem, and I think I have a solution... See the Top Gear Forum for it.

...Top Gear sets the bar so high, no other motoring show, unless they copy Top Gear, will ever come close.

Not true...in fact, you'll see (besides the Lovejoy segments) the parts where they copy Top Gear are some of the most hated.

The show use to be about cars...not the personalities...or the complete lack thereof.It used to be an informative, and entertaining more "mature" alternative to Top Gear...now it's just...ugh...boring, awkward, forced, and just a bit of "What the hell does that have to do with anything" thrown in for good measure.

~nj?

I miss Top gear soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! :p

LOL, I was thinking about this season and have to agreed. SO far in this season, I haven't watch an entire episode without fast forwarding!!

I haven't actually watched the new series (and don't really know if I want to) but I think Fifth Gear could have used this as their chance to gain viewers because of Top Gear not being on as motor fans would be looking for a fix.

I miss Top gear soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! :p

oh you're damn right.

I miss top gear too.

I think that the bad thing in the new fith gear, and it's begun in previous series, is that they talk too much.

If you remenber, in the all eight previous seasons, they didn't talk more than 1 min before a driving test or else. In the 9th series they started to talk much in the HQ, that wasn't so bad but a bit boring.
But now you have 10min of a useless guy talking about everything else but no cars, I mean real cars. Vicky is sweet, but we don't want to listen her during 10min, we want her to drive like she's used to.

And tiff look busy somewere else, because we just see him for 3 min and he disapear.

Please FG, make a new series name Tiff and Co:D : with just test of tiff and jason and vicky driving during 40minutes, and with only supercars. Let Van or trailer or 4X4 to TG, they're they only ones knowing how to do such amazing fun with rubbish cars like that.

XyKo said:
LOL, I was thinking about this season and have to agreed. SO far in this season, I haven't watch an entire episode without fast forwarding!!
Me neither, and that's the first time in 10th seasons of FG.

Last edited:
I've totally given up on Fifth Gear, and I actually like last season quite a bit. I've just started over from scratch and started watching Top Gear from the beginning. Sure the cars they do are no longer new, but the shows are actually worth watching. Fifth Gear has become totally pointless.