File backup options

awdrifter

I want to back up some of my files (about 700gb) to DVD DL, what's the best program for the job? I currently have Nero 10, it could burn specified folders to multiple DVDs, but I don't want to lose all the info just because 1 of the DVD is missing or become corrupted. Is there a program that would automatically split the data into multiple DVDs and when I need to recover it even if one DVD is missing for became corrupted it'll still be able to recover the data on the non-corrupted DVD? Thanks.

Thats like 83 DVD DLs.
You sure you don't wanna simply use an external HDD for that?

A 1TB 3.5" external HDD will be $75, so at $1 per DVD-DL (guesstimating here, didn't check) it wouldn't be more expensive... but easier to handle, a lot faster, less spacious to store, less degrading over time, modifiable, ...

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm considering just getting a 1TB HDD for it, I missed the Samsung F3 sale at $59, but I guess that's a better option. The only drawback about using a hDD is the data can be destroyed by a virus.

Yeah, I'm considering just getting a 1TB HDD for it, I missed the Samsung F3 sale at $59, but I guess that's a better option. The only drawback about using a hDD is the data can be destroyed by a virus.

Don't keep the HD plugged in all the time.

Sometimes a system is infected and I may not immediately know. With a DVD (or BD) there's no way for the data to get erased or damaged by virus.

Mount it as read-only.

How is he going to write the back up to it then?

I would second the HDD option, DVDs are gonna be problematic and if you want auto splits you are gonna have problems with missing media.
I would suggest thta you run a full virus check on system before plugging the drive in :p

Last edited:
How is he going to write the back up to it then?

By mounting it read-write during the actual backing up of course, silly. Use it like a large DVD, write once and only read afterwards. If his computer already was infected during the initial backup then it doesn't matter what medium he uses to do the backup with.

By mounting it read-write during the actual backing up of course, silly. Use it like a large DVD, write once and only read afterwards. If his computer already was infected during the initial backup then it doesn't matter what medium he uses to do the backup with.

:)

Of course I will do a thorough scan before backing it up, I'll have to look up how to do the read only when I want to retrieve the data. Thanks for the replies.

Also take a look at BD burners. A bit on the pricey side but with each disk holding 50GB of data might make some sense

For compatibility reasons I wouldn't buy a BD drive just for this backup, unless you have access to multiple drives already. What if that one drive breaks? Your backup would again require investment.
With both DVDs and an external HDD you could throw them at virtually any computer and use them.

I've found a Hitachi 1TB for $50 after rebate, but it's a 7K1000.B, the version that I had problem previously. There's another Hitachi 1TB drive that's a new product, but since there aren't any reviews yet, I'm weary about buying it. I might just wait for the Samsung F3 to go on sale again before doing the backup.

I have a 1TB drive (also Hitachi funnily enough) in an enclosure on the top of my machine. It's connected via eSATA so speed is very good and it's only ever turned on when I need to do a backup. It does need upgrading to 2TB though so I can back up my NAS drive too, I don't quite trust the mirroring I have set up and don't want to loose everything again.

I'd suggest the HDD option too.

You want to do backups like the big boys? Go tape. You can get tape drives that can fit 3TB compressed on a single tape. They're compact, and really the only option if you want to do frequent backups and store them offsite for months at a time.

I'd go to tape in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive. It's unlikely that I'd get a free LTO drive from work too. That and they're just generally a pain in the arse compared to disks.

Well fine, if you want to be a buzzkill :cry: