Final Gear Racing 2012/2013

I'm going to try to make it out to, at the very least, watch.

[/SIZE]

That would make an excellent Michigan meet up event.

If the team makes the event at Gingerman, I'll be there come hell or high water.

I highly doubt Gingerman will ever happen. If I ever do manage to drag the rest of the team to the midwest, then it will probably be for Chicago because it's more of a central location for people to come to.

Replace Gingerman with Chicago.

Replace Gingerman with Chicago.

If/when we actually do come to Chicago, then I'll make every effort to turn it into the biggest Final Gear meetup ever in the US. I know LeMons doesn't hold the appeal of an F1 race, but god damn it I'm willing to give it a shot, foolish as it may be. We've tried in the past to stir up enough interest to get people to come out, and to date I think we've had maybe two people show up. So trying for a Chicago race would be do or die for me, if I can't convince people to come out for that then I see no point in trying anymore.

The 2013 rules have been posted, and thankfully none of them will really effect us.

The biggest changes are that the rear stays on the cage can't terminate past the back edge of the rear tires, the GTP and Vic are fine because ours end well before that point. They also state that your wheelbase must be no shorter than 82 inches, again we're way past that mark so no concern there. They're also changing how they dole out the nickels, class A winner gets $400, B gets $500, C gets $600, and IOE gets $601. They're also making a few changes to their flagging system, but who reading this really cares about that? If anyone is interested you can see the entire list of changes here http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/pricesandrules13.aspx.

Are you sure we aren't affected? I think I need to go get a tape measure and check the Vic's wheelbase. :lol:

The nwe flagging rules aren't really new - they've used them for most of 2012. I raced under them back in June, and they're effectively the same in practice. It seems to have cut down on the dynamite-the-brakes-every-time-you-see-a-yellow-flag thing, which led to gazillions of "unearned" pass under yellow penalties and replaced them with... people decelerating slightly more gently when yellow comes out, and a couple of "racing to the yellow" penalties.

All terribly boring and probably a lot more relevant to people who routinely pass cars that aren't broken (i.e. who have a lot more talent than I do).

Having never raced myself (Fun Fact: I've never actually sat in the drivers seat of any of our race cars, they're all setup for people much smaller and shorter than I am), I like the flagging rule change. It makes much more sense to me for one section of the track to be under a yellow/white/black/whatever instead of simply a line of sight.

Small update from this weekend;
-Removed about 5lbs of tar-crap from the rear of the vehicle
-Welded additional supports for the rear backstays on the rollcage to stay legal
-Measured and ordered a new seat
-Measured and prepped for a replacement muffler and exhaust mounting
-Removed excess wiring from the rear doors on the vehicle

Saw this on my Facebook today. Final Gear got a mention. :)

And I saw a Puffalump covered car in the mix too!

Last edited:
The new seat has arrived, check one more item off the to-do list.

soloracerdotcom_2177_29314222.jpg

Seat is installed. No photos yet.

Final Gear Racing 2012

Final Gear Racing 2012

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356301581.530178.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356301620.840738.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356301641.381170.jpg
Progress update.

Final Gear Racing 2012

Final Gear Racing 2012

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356386391.015517.jpg
Took it for a drive today. Has enough power to light up the tires in second gear...

Put 942 miles on the gtp since we bought it nearly 2 years ago...