Final Gear Racing 2012/2013

More like a quarter mile. CMP is only ~.9 miles in that configuration and I only made it from T1 to T4.

Do we want to put any effort into capturing video in the racecar for CMP, or wait until later races to attempt it?

Are we just continuing the 2012 thread into the new year?

for the moment, sure. Not like anything exciting happened last year.

Are we just continuing the 2012 thread into the new year?

Yeah, this is thread is small enough and I didn't want to write a new one up when fuckall really happened last year. I also put a lot of time into that LeMons history and don't want to see it just be forgotten.

Got the acceptance email. We are in for CMP!

So what's the weather like in South Carolina in March? Should I start ordering arctic camping gear or buy some new shorts? Or both?

So what's the weather like in South Carolina in March? Should I start ordering arctic camping gear or buy some new shorts? Or both?

I'm bringing my camping gear...with the big fluffy sleeping bag. I freaking hate the cold:)

At least this time it wont be so blazing hot...

For anyone who cares, I won't be attending this race despite not having gone to one in almost 2 years. So there won't be a Long Road To LeMons for this one. We're basically treating this as a tune up/shakedown race for the car since it's been on the shelf for so long with so many problems, it will also give the drivers a chance to deal with any ring rust they might have. That's why there hasn't been a lot of promotion on my part and there isn't a new theme or anything like that, the goal here is to just turn laps and see how the car does, ideally the big stuff will happen sometime later this year. Once we know that the car is once again rock solid, then we can really focus on having fun.

No photos, but added a marine engine fan (blower+tube) as a defroster/driver air-delivery-system..

So almost 2 years after the fire, we're still discovering some of the aftermath.

photo2.JPG

My theory is that the heat damaged/destroyed seals inside the rack which has caused it to start leaking. Thankfully reman racks for this car are cheap, compared to the $600 I paid for mine back in 2009, but now the car will require another wheel alignment so we don't destroy the tires due to something being out of whack.

Time for another bit of useless info from ole PB. The GTP (and my Buick) have what GM called "Magnasteer", aka variable assist steering, the thing around the input shaft is an electromagnet that helps take some of the load out of turning the wheel. It was an option that could be had on various trim levels and it does make a difference, the steering in my sister's base Cavalier takes a good deal more effort to use despite the car weighing far far less.

LeMons HQ just handed down a new rule.

1.8: NO CRUISIN' OR STUNTIN' OR 'SPLODIN:
Except for street vehicles coming to or leaving the facility, no motorized vehicles may be used on track property from one hour after the checker until sunrise. No firearms or fireworks may be used on track property. No "razor"-type scooters allowed ever.

Damn insurance companies always keeping us down not wanting us to have any fun.

I called it at Summit Point '12. "This will all be banned next year. Best enjoy it while we can."

For larger lulz, here's the entire email announcing the change. It's a gem... And every single thing it says actually happened.
Departing from our previous after-hours paddock safety policy of sticking our fingers in our ears and going "LA-LA-LA-LA," we've added official anti-stuntin' legislation to the LeMons rulebook. This was done after reading insurance-industry studies that show Razor scooters have killed more middle-aged car guys than the first-gen Dodge Viper; after seeing one too many LeMons drivers in Speedos doing dirt-bike burnouts in the men's room; and after realizing at Summit Point '12 that police supervision actually makes things way worse. Oh, and after realizing that if you hurt someone in the paddock, you can go to prison. Like, real, shower-stall prison.

The new regulation (Rule 1.8) is about as simple as it gets:

1.8: NO CRUISIN' OR STUNTIN' OR 'SPLODIN:
Except for street vehicles coming to or leaving the facility, no motorized vehicles may be used on track property from one hour after the checker until sunrise. No firearms or fireworks may be used on track property. No "razor"-type scooters allowed ever.

So, the next time you see a liquored-up, Speedo-clad motorcyclist after hours in the paddock, make a citizen's arrest. Or at least shout a warning from a safe distance.

Personally, I'd prefer "sunrise to sunset", but I'm sure everyone will find new and creative ways to get hurt with mere bicycles.

Last edited:
So that means you can't operate the race car in the pits during the off hours for checks or refueling?

That's the strict read. But then, it seems like most of that stuff gets done real quick Saturday afternoon or waits until Sunday morning anyway. The only cases I can really see this interfering with regular non-party operations (other than having to hoof it seven kilometers to take a leak at 3am) are the handful of work-through-the-night repairs that actually wrap up at night.

The real question is what this means for FRIDAY night.