Final Gear Redesigns the Jaguar XJ - RESULTS THREAD

darkshark0159

Car(s)
Mercedes-Benz C240 W203, British Rail Class 450
This was the challenge:

Hello everyone, and welcome to the first ever Final Gear Automotive Design Challenge! :)

We've spent countless hours on these forums discussing the designs of key industry figures such as Chris Bangle, and we've argued over the designs of many new cars which have been released. Some we hate, some we love, but more often than not recently, we hate them. :p

So here is an opportunity. What would you do if you were in the position of head designer at a major car company? Would you turn over the tables and try something radical? Would you try and refine and modernise old designs while keeping in line with tradition?

--------------

In this challenge, you are the head of design at Jaguar. You have been asked to design a new generation of the flagship XJ model. The XJ has had a very consistent look for many generations, and some see it as dated. Yet for many, Jaguar is all about tradition. You must walk the fine line between these views as you design the car.

And these were the entries:

Entry 1 - American TG Man
148hzd5.jpg

Entry 2 - Chaos
29ca16h.jpg

Entry 3 - darkshark0159
348g0wl.jpg

Entry 4 - katwalk
jag2-1.png

Entry 5 - Salguod
kdwok7.jpg

Entry 6 - Supreme_Being
2hyyvf5.jpg

Entry 7 - Ian Callum
2i6fehg.jpg

Entry 8 - Donington :rolleyes:
de9v2b.jpg

Entry 9 - Public
2dtddva.jpg

Entry 10 - klankymen
jagxj.png

Entry 11 - starfox07
218tq1.jpg

2z6cdpv.jpg

Entry 12 - Dsemaj
http://img243.imageshack.**/img243/6472/xjjagidea.jpg

Entry 13 - eddysdaman
33vykjm.jpg

AND THE WINNERS ARE:

3RD PLACE - Ian Callum (10 points)
2i6fehg.jpg

2ND PLACE - Salguod (13 points)
kdwok7.jpg

1ST PLACE - Chaos (14 points)
29ca16h.jpg

34f1w6s.png

Many thanks to those who entered and a round of applause to the victors! :)

Last edited:
Mine is running over, so I may have a late entry.

Whoever did number 8.... well, nice try. :p

I like it how the majority of entries (so far?!?) have gone for the more traditional Jaaaaaaag look, needless to say though, I did laugh at #7 because I wasn't expecting it to be there :lol:

Trying not to give away which is mine, but there are still things on mine which I am not happy with, sent it in with annoying little niggles, don't even do that in the photoshop competition.

Yeah, that is the tough part about drawing. I feel the same way.

I included #7 to pit our designs head to head with the real thing. You can vote for #7 if you'd like.

Last edited:
Go for it.

Well I'm going to try to get one up tonight. Might be late but after seeing those....

Oh shit, I somehow missed this. lemme see if I can whip one up on short notice.

Can I submit mine's on the 22nd? I finished the drawing but it's still in my computer back in Vancouver.

I deem thy thread a source of lulz :lol:

Man, I used to draw cars all the time. I should really enter the next contest.

Last edited:
Can I submit mine's on the 22nd? I finished the drawing but it's still in my computer back in Vancouver.

To ellaborate on what's up with late entries:
I will send the late entries to all voters at the close of the voting to give them a chance to revise their votes. I think I'll close the voting around the 27th.

Last edited:
All of them are horrible :lol: Including mine.

Though to be fair, I forgot about it after the first day....

No offence, but don't you mean "especially mine"? :p

This is a pretty cool competition, I think that next we should do a "new 911" contest, seeing as how everyone and their dog is bitching about how the 911 changes. I'd be very surprised if anyone could turn out a better design than Porsche themselves, short of going all retro on its ass.

That's what I personally had in mind. I think I'll let the winner choose the next competition though (unless it's Ian Callum).

For the next competition, I suppose I will allow it to be more open and let people post their WIPs and ideas. I think that will keep the competition alive and active, which was a problem in this contest.

The fourth entry is curvaceous, to say the least. :)

I think that will keep the competition alive and active, which was a problem in this contest.

I never even saw the original thread, that introduced the contest. I remember hearing in some other thread that you (or somebody suggested doing such a thing), and then all of a sudden I saw the "entries thread". Not until after reading this thread did I discover the first one.

So that might account for the lack of entries.

Since I didn't feel like spending a lot of time making a proper entry here, maybe I'll try to see what kind of 911 design I can do.

EDIT: I think it's safe to say that after 45 years of working on one car, it's basically impossible to improve on it. so to anybody complaining about porsche design: there's no need to change anything, it's already perfect.

Last edited: