Final Gears UN-official Top Gear car poll.

Final Gears UN-official Top Gear car poll.

• Alfa Romeo 147 TI 2.0 Twin Spark

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Fiat 500

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Mini Cooper S

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Nissan Micra/March SR

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Renault Avantime (Standard)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Suzuki Swift Sport '05

• Suzuki Swift Sport '07

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Toyota Vitz/Yaris/Echo RS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aston Martin

Proudly supports terrible french cars
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
Closes on the 24th, when I'll open the...

'Possibly-OFFICIAL Final Gears', Top Gear Test Track in a non-Top Gear car laptimes thread.'

I may take suggestions for thread titles. :D

I don't know the difference if any of the Swifts... vote for any. Maybe colour differences?
Which we don't know of yet.

Last edited:
My vote is for the Renault Avantime.

When I open the proper laptimes thread, when we did laptimes on random tracks on the PSP version, we all used the same settings.
But with GT5, people are gonna be playing it a million different ways, so do we just post the time and then which settings you use? Or all use the same settings?

The problem we discovered on the PSP version though, was turning traction control off saved 10 seconds a lap minimum. Which made the laptimes between us all way out.

When I open the proper laptimes thread, when we did laptimes on random tracks on the PSP version, we all used the same settings.
But with GT5, people are gonna be playing it a million different ways, so do we just post the time and then which settings you use? Or all use the same settings?

The problem we discovered on the PSP version though, was turning traction control off saved 10 seconds a lap minimum. Which made the laptimes between us all way out.

Unlike the PSP version, this version has an analog throttle input. Traction control is way less useful. Still, if one wants to specify it when making a challenge, so be it, as long as we're consistent. Since it hurts lap times, those who use it should just turn it off :p

Does anyone know if you can do standing starts on the Top Gear Test Track? This is crucial if you want to try and beat The Stig's/ times (and celebrity laps if they ever release the reasonably priced cars).

Trying to find out.

Unlike the PSP version, this version has an analog throttle input. Traction control is way less useful. Still, if one wants to specify it when making a challenge, so be it, as long as we're consistent. Since it hurts lap times, those who use it should just turn it off :p

I'd like to do it where everyone uses the same settings, but people can also post non-settings too... but only the unofficial way counts.

However, it means we need to figure out the 'unofficial settings'. :lol:

GTPlanet are gonna use...
The car will be ran with out any assists, on N2 tires, manual transmission and in cockpit view. Users can use a gamepad or a wheel, however there will be two separate leaderboards will be kept to keep it fair.

I like this.

EDIT: Tyres are now comfort, sport or racing. Racing has slicks and wets.

Last edited:
Works for me, substitute N2 for R2 when appropriate (race cars or cars extremely modified).

Except I don't think it would be necessary for separate leaderboards with wheel/controller. We don't have as many people and personally I get pretty similar laptimes either way.

^
For now this is just for our 'Forum star in a Japanese econobox car'... eventually i'd like to a seperate thread, where we have a different track and car every week. Like what we did in GTPSP, but for now just sticking to TG.

I don't think wheel vs pad will make a huge difference, so they'll go on the same board. But with a (Pad) (Wheel) after the time.

GTPlanet's criteria are pretty good. If they use the same car it'll make comparing across forums easier as well.

I was thinking that even if GT5 gives us a rolling start, we could always do an out lap, stop right before the start line, then take the "Last Lap" time when we cross the line.

Ok two options...

1) Stopping at the start line, but depending on where you stop it could give you a couple of tenths advantage.
2) Practice and then restart when you want to do your lap and just go with the rolling start.

Someone on GTPlanet has unlocked it in practice and arcade mode, still waiting for a reply.

Having prodded around on GTPlanet for a bit, i saw someone who said that you have to get Gold on on of the special events to unlock the TGTT.

EDIT: Turns out getting gold in a Special Top Gear Event does bugger all. I'm still gonna investigate.

EDIT EDIT: You have to get a Gold in the VW Bus race to get the Test Track.

Last edited:
Just bumping so people know that you can do a standing start on the TGTT, the game gives you control before the 2nd to last corner. Ample time to pull up for a standing start.