Final Harry Potter movie about to enter theaters -- The end of an era?

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
I'm starting this thread, because I'm outing myself as a huge Harry Potter fan and I see the launch of the latest and final Harry Potter movie in a somewhat melancholy mood.

If you like it or not, you cannot deny, that Harry Potter has become a unique phenomenon, which not only made the author J.K. Rowling one of the richest persons in Europe but also had a huge impact on popular culture and inspired the imagination of an entire generation of children, teenagers and adults.

So for those, who were with this whole phenomenon from the beginning, when the first book was published on June 30th, 1997, it is truly the end of an era. Because this parallel universe of the wizarding world of Harry Potter has been accompanying us for 14 years and currently it doesn't look like there is ever going to be a sequel to the book series. When something, that has been a part of your lives for so long, ends, it leaves a hole, a certain emptiness, a feeling of "so now what?".

This thread is therefore meant to be a place for forum members to remember in the company of other fans. It is a place to exchange memories, experiences, feelings and maybe the impact on our lives -- a retrospective, if you want, for one of the greatest moments of fantasy ever.

So discuss away.

Oh... and a note to those out there, who dislike or even hate the Harry Potter hype: You do not need to express your dislike here. Do it somewhere else.

Last edited:
I can't say I'm a big fan, even if I wanted to, but I do like the series. I... err, acquired all the unabridged audiobooks several months ago, so I listened to them. And they were great. And since then I've gotten all the movies, so far, as well. It is kinda sad to see the end of it all, after getting to witness so much of the characters lives.

I'm not sure when I'll get to see the final film. It'll probably be a zoo for the first full month. Lots of Potter fans around here.

I love the books, I'm sort of ambivalent about the films :) Though I did go and see the latest one and quite liked it. In any case, Emma Watson is gorgeous, so I'll probably survive watching :p

I liked the books, but I've only seen two of the movies; the first one which was kinda crap and the fourth which wasn't so bad. My biggest bugbear with the films (apart from butchering up the plot to fit it into 130 minute long episodes) is how different it all looks compared to my imagination. I know it's a standard criticism of all book to film efforts, but particularly so with HP as a great deal of the book series relies on imagery and whatever your mind can conjure up, albeit with the help of JK Rowling's description to help you along. With the films, you're seeing what the director/producers wants you to see and his interpretation of particular scenes and characters.

Last edited:
Yeah, I felt the same way. I insisted on going through the books before watching the films. The films always end up feeling rushed. A lot of the storylines are these mysteries the kids are trying to solve. So they spend a lot of time studying and searching and thinking, etc. But in the films it's always like, "hmm, I know what we need to do!" after about 4 seconds of consideration. It's all too fast. But they don't really have a choice if they want the movie to be less than 6 hours long.

One thing that really bugged me though was how little of the eduction you get to see in the films. The books seem to revolve around the kids learning, but the films gloss over that 'boring stuff'.

"The end of an era" feeling hit me after finishing the last book. I was in 5th grade when I started reading HP, so it literally did take up the bulk of my childhood. The movies have never really sat well with me (3,4, and 7 aren't bad) for the above reasons, so the last movie coming out won't be as momentous as the last book. Still, I look forward to seeing it after I was pleasantly surprised with the 7th movie.

I never got around to reading the last 3 books but all the movies except the first were pretty damn good tbh, really looking forward to this.

I'm not the hugest fan, but I do have immense respect for Rowling. She created an exciting world for readers. UNLIKE the stupid twilight series which was totally unimaginative and shallow.

I didn't get in to the whole Harry Potter mania when it started. I still remember my sister and cousins getting all excited. But I didn't get interested. Maybe its due to me not being a bookworm or something. It wasn't until much later that I read the book on a bored day and kept on reading...

As for the films I don't like them that much. They always cut the small things off. I understand the time constrains on the film and that it cannot hold the entire book but that kinda annoys me. Its those small bits that make it so enjoyable. As a result I have only seen the up to the Order of the Phoenix.

Maybe I should re watch them to brush up my Harry Potter memories, get ready for the last film and then just end the whole Harry Potter thing..

Since I was 10 when the books came out, they are right in my wheelhouse. I've read every book, seen every movie, and listened to both the Stephen Fry and Jim Dale versions of the audiobook.

Slytherin for life.

shield_sly.jpg

Prequels? Sequels?

I heard a hilarious story that she got tired of her college school mates always saying "10 points Gryffindor" every time she answered a question correctly, and that might have pushed her to drop out of college for a time, although I'm not sure if that's actually true.

I have my midnight tickets (in 2D obviously, I'd like to actually enjoy the film), my car keys are on the Hogwarts keychain, I have my wand at the ready, I was at the Wizzarding World of Harry Potter last week, and I've been watching all the movies since I got back. I promise, I'm not a nerd. I keep telling myself that at least.

You haven't carved a lightning bolt into your forehead with a steak knife yet, have you?

I read all the books as they launched, I was really into it, but for some reason I was never able to get into the movies. I've seen the first 3, but none after that. Perhaps I should sit down and give them a watch.

I read all the books as they launched, I was really into it, but for some reason I was never able to get into the movies. I've seen the first 3, but none after that. Perhaps I should sit down and give them a watch.

you should try the 4th film.
The production values are higher than the previous three~