No 56k: FinalGear around the world care package - Progress & Photo thread

You guys are seriously starting to disturb my calm here. Can't any of you get off your asses to at least post a single pic amidst all your forum browsing, if not sending the damn thing on?

Why do you feel the need to monitor everyone's forum browsing habits???

i don't have it yet. calm the fuck down.

I'm not talking about you, but about the Americans (with only few shiny exceptions) who came before you.

General observations from this project and thread...

OK, I was never on the list to do this so I have no stake in it but...let's not lose sight of who this package is ultimately for. This package is for Viper by way of the forum members. So, stop making it a "send it back Europe" thing because it's not about Europe it's about doing something nice for Viper.

I can understand the frustration about the slow movement of the package and the posting of pics, etc but that kind of thing comes with the territory when you are dealing with a variety of people living in a variety of states/countries. Be happy that the shit hasn't been lost or destroyed. I agree that some could put more effort into the project but at the same time lets not alienate people to point that it becomes just a lot of bitching and fun for no one.

Last edited:
It's not about getting it back to europe, it's just about getting these people to move their asses. And I wouldn't be so up in arms about it, if I didn't actually talk to them in pm and gotten an assurance they wouldn't do as the previous lot and drop off the face of the planet for up to a month, and then did just that.

Right, but don't think this is not going to happen. There is nothing wrong with pushing the project along but let's keep the straight up negativity under control.

The package was mailed to skidd some time ago, it's in transit and will be for an unknown amount of time due to the border crossing involved. I'm sure he'll post when he gets it.

I actually brought the photos to work today so I could post them, chill out.

Package received:

xTdmvLv.jpg

Yo dawg, boxes, etc.

SKyokuN.jpg

More unboxing:

m6Q8P8z.jpg

The cars and the postcard from Toronto

41N3GUv.jpg

Brews and checking out all the neat stuff in the box.

B0Ct4jO.jpg

So the timing of me getting the package was extremely poor. I got it quite some time after the initial shipping arrangements were made, and by that time my window for doing anything meaningful with the cars was effectively closed - in the time I had the package, I had to work all but three days and had precious little time when I wasn't at the office. Sadly, taking the cars out for pictures was not a realistic option anymore so I had to come up with something else.

The Viper has its nice factory case, but the Alfa was shipped in a rather undignified manner, swathed in old wrapping paper. In an effort to give it more protection (and more stylish accommodations) I elected to build it a "garage" when I had a few free evenings.

Dark Walnut and Aromatic Cedar thins I had in stock
BH9NDRQ.jpg

First glue-up after cutting the jointed sides
53tWhaf.jpg

Box halves after glue-up
etvSDRc.jpg

Halves joined, magnets installed, and some CA glue to stabilize a hairline crack in the cedar
mRt6oKM.jpg

Gluing up the "tray" after assembly
mPVYCbN.jpg

Installing the end cap
uJicNQi.jpg

Assembly complete, sanded and ready for finish
weiliVq.jpg

I did manage to get a picture with the project car, so that's something I guess.
3SsC9on.jpg

Finishing complete, Velcro installed and Alfa in position for transport
7r6U9dJ.jpg

Alfa-garage ready for transport. There's some bubble wrap in there as well for extra protection.
2RJL193.jpg

Packed up
mBvlOcU.jpg

Boxed up
RmwQEQn.jpg

The colourful box was then returned to the shipping box, packed in with my gift to skidd (which doubled as the packing material) and sent on its way to San Francisco.

:clap: Someone building an addition for a change! How constructive!

Well, you just brought it back, with dividends!

That garage looks amazing and now I'm thinking the old plasticky thing the Viper's travelling in just won't do. :p

uhhh...don't expect me to do anything about that :p

uhhh...don't expect me to do anything about that :p

I was about to say, that puts a whole new level of pressure on the next people :D. So far it was "well, take a few good photos and I am above average", but he went berserk (*caugh*) there with the effort :D

Wow!
Way to up the level!

Big respect. Taking a few car related shots seems like no effort at all compared with what you did

Nice work!