Finalgear: How do You Shave?

I have always been using multi-blade Gillette razors and a fairly middle-of-the-range electric shaver. Recently however, I purchased a starter-kit with a double-edged traditional razor. Now, shaving has always been a dreary affair for me, but when I started shaving with proper equipment, I have started to experience a certain joy with my shaving ritual. The feel of shaving with a traditional razor is something every man should experience, it is so much nicer. The cost alone makes the change well worth it. Gillette blades are ridicolously expensive, and I have had to change them frequently to avoid 'pulling' and the rash that comes with it. Even after 8 days of shaving, the blade of the traditional razor feels sharp enough to deal with my pretty thick hairs.

startsett-1_3.jpg

Included in the set I bought was a M?hle R89 razor, Proraso shaving cream and after shave and a Proraso shaving brush. I also added a couple of packs of Feather razors which are brutally sharp (experienced the bad way, but practice makes perfect!)

I'm still getting to grips with this style of shaving but I am loving it. I'm looking forward to experimenting with different soaps and shaving creams, as well as learing how to make that perfect lather.

I'm waiting for my new shaving mug to arrive, feels a bit tacky to be using a coffee mug.
rn16.jpg

Braun Series 5. Gets the job done, quickly.

473979.jpg

Simple mach5 or whatever it is. Weirdly, I don't have to change razors very often. Maybe twice a year. I hate shaving with a dry face, so its always done right after a shower, and I'll shave every other day or so when I'm not being lazy. If I'm lazy, I'm going for the Dr House look.

Weirdly, I don't have to change razors very often.
Do you mean blades, or actual razors? Twice a year, even only shaving once every other day, is amazing if you mean blades. I have to chuck mine away after three shaves or so. That means either I go unshaven or use my electric, most days. I just can't afford a new axe every other day.

268 blades shave you closer. Yeah. Right. :shakefist:

I use a Gillette Fusion, usually twice a week ? sometimes once a week. I shave after the morning shower, and for some reason my face shines like a well-used leather gearshift the whole day when I've shaved. I've used a few matte'ing cremes to combat that.

Luckily I don't have any skin trouble shaving ... on weekdays I'm a bit lazy and use a electric shaver ... on weekends I use shaving cream and this wilkinson thingy

Wilkinson-Protector-3-.jpg

My electrical shaver until last week:

HQ-8150_II.jpg

Phillips HP 8150

Since I forgot that thing a few times at my girlfriends place ... I treated myself to this:

panasonic-4.jpg

Panasonic ES8249

Shaving? People still do that? :blink:

Seriously, I skipped the awkward acne phase most kids had and went straight to five o'clock shadow at 3pm. Shaving got to be a pain, so I grew a beard in eleventh grade and didn't look back.

Electric.

I can't stand beards, too ichy. I use a Gillette Nuclear Fusion Super Turbo Plus. The electric razors I have used take too long.

Do you mean blades, or actual razors? Twice a year, even only shaving once every other day, is amazing if you mean blades. I have to chuck mine away after three shaves or so. That means either I go unshaven or use my electric, most days. I just can't afford a new axe every other day.

268 blades shave you closer. Yeah. Right. :shakefist:

I did mean blades. The packs are hella expensive.

I don't usually shave clean when i'm not working so I'll keep trim with a Wahl Peanut clipper. If I am working, which i am right now, I use a Gilette Fusion that vibrates (don't remember the full name)

I usually go for a nice trim every 2 weeks, and shave the excess beard that grows from the chin down, so as to keep a nice, tidy full-face beard. Shaving the whole thing off is a waste of time for me, since I hate doing it and I hate my clean-shaven face even more.

Just to break the combo of men talking about their shaving, I figured I'd chip in. :p I shave in the shower: my legs once every few days or as needed (I get lazy in the winter sometimes), armpits every other day, and downstairs every two or three days. I'd love to shave more often, but I friggin' hate razor bumps. I use a Venus razor and this stuff for shaving cream:

AAAADFzWKy4AAAAAAW61Iw.jpg

Smells good man.

Ever tried Nair?

I can't stand the smell of Nair, tbh. With any depilatory agent you're going to get a disgusting smell. I'll stick to shaving, thanks.

The women's lines of system razors are an even bigger ripoff than male's system razors.

My girlfriend has one of these Venus things, as well. As far as I can figure, the shaving system is about the same as in a Mach 3 (as I don't use system razors I have to work off friend's descriptions here). But the blades are almost twice the price cause they got pink cushions instead of the white ones the male system got.

My girlfriend is planning on switching from her Venus to the identical male system once she runs out of blades for this very reason.

Anyone have any experience with, and can recommend, a good 'intimate' shaver?