FinalGear invades the UK - 2016 Roadtrip

First dibs on a British Leyland POS.
No chance finding anything road legal for under ?500. Unless you want a Rover Metro. :p

Scotland has some of the best driving roads in the UK for sure, half of my daily commute to work is largely deserted twisty B roads. It is also a million miles from anywhere, if I wanted to drive to the English border it'd take me over 5 hours if I was using the dual carriageways and motorways. I'm told driving around the north coast (The coastal 500 route) will take several days if you don't want to knacker yourself out completely because you simply can't drive the roads fast, partially because all the roads are twisty as fuck and secondly because if your car is particularly thirsty you'll run yourself out of fuel between petrol stations.

I am also told it is immense fun and the scenery is staggering though. It's something I definitely need to do at some point, I also want to do it before it get's super popular is is littered with caravanists and Dutch registered people carriers...

Determined not to leave the coast, are you? ;) You should go a bit inland at The Quiraing. It's quite a spectacular view from up there for a change.

Also, if you want some infos on B&Bs or places to eat, I can dig up something from my archives.

I just traced some roads along the coastline, just to get a long route. And to calculate an itinerary.

Any suggestions for activities -except driving the motorcycle- are more than welcome, as wel as accommodations and food places.

A whole 5 hours?! :shock2:

:p

I can think of nothing duller than pounding along a motorway for 4+ hours. Given my car has a max cruising speed of 53mph* I'd say it's more like an 8 hour trip for myself anyway!

*I did have her up to 65mph earlier today as I was chasing a 1960s Jag S-type down the dual carriageway out of Aberdeen but I'd not want to sustain that sort of speed for too long, that's 4,200rpm+ in top gear!

I'm told driving around the north coast (The coastal 500 route) will take several days if you don't want to knacker yourself out completely because you simply can't drive the roads fast, partially because all the roads are twisty as fuck and secondly because if your car is particularly thirsty you'll run yourself out of fuel between petrol stations.

That's probably the idea, do that for a few days, spend a day driving down to England and continue from there. :)

The thought of being a witness to a conversation between Adrian and a no-nonsense Scottish traffic officer is almost worth the price of admission by itself.

You would be surprised. The really thick, unintelligible Scots accent that most people have heard is pretty much exclusive to Glasgow and ironically the further north you go the clearer the speech and the easier it is to understand.

Plus of course there is a certain speech pattern that is exclusive to traffic police the world over; you know, the one designed to leave you in absolutely no doubt about who is in charge and how far in the wrong you are?

Count me in. I'm going to need something small, weird, and French.

Preferably as a souvenir that I can then bring back to Texasland.

It will need to be at least 25 years old won't it? Otherwise don't they seize and crush things?

If you can find one I recommend a Citroen Visa GTi.

visa-gti105ch.jpg

No, seriously, they tick all your boxes and they are an absolute hoot to drive.

I would even sponsor a Visa GTi purchase! :w00t:

Shame about the colour but I suggest buying it. The Visa is probably too rare.

The AX is cool, saw a couple of those while looking over the weekend. I looked at BXs too but surprisingly they're quite expensive these days. I was really looking for RWD or 4WD. A stripped out Lolvo 240 seemed like a good idea at one point, still does in some ways. :think:

Checked insurance costs on the Galant, about ?100 would get me 3 months just to cover the trip or ?280ish for a whole year, so it's not an impossible goal. :D

We need an epic bird poo vinyl then.....

And maybe a cut out Maribou stork on a spring for the roof.

It would actually be kind of awesome to get an old/classic bike to do the road trip with, but I'd have no way of taking luggage with me then. :/