FinalGear Music League Suggestions

The only good thing about the whole cultural appropriation concept is that we can put out a blanket ban on Ska on grounds of it being white boys appropriating Jamaican person of color culture.
Fun fact: Ska came before reggae.

Reactions: LP
Some ideas that popped into my head in the last couple of weeks:
- "Blowing Brass" - Songs that contain Trumpets, Saxophones or similar, but regardless of genre. May be extended to non-metallic instruments like flutes or bagpipes?
- "Fiddling" - same idea, but string instruments played with a bow, such as Violins, again regardless of genre.
- "Original Score - Film" - Songs composed for movies
- "Original Score - Video Game" - Songs composed for video games.
- "used in Film" - Songs used in/made famous by (but not composed specifically for) movies.
- "used in Video Games" - Songs used in/made famous by (but not composed specifically for) video games.
- "specific letter" - songs and/or artists starting with a specific letter.
- "sweet 16" - A song you loved and maybe still love from when you were 16 (or roundabout that, if you can't pinpoint, lol)
- "my car" - a song you connect to a car you had or have. Maybe it was the first one that you played in it, maybe it was something you discovered or listened to around the time your bought it, or something you listened to on a memorable road trip with it.
- "Staying awake at the wheel" - Something you put on while driving to make sure you can last another couple of minutes (until you reach a rest area to take a break like the responsible adult that you are).
- "Hip Hop" - not everyone likes it, but some may have a guilty pleasure song in that genre, and I'm sure everyone knows at least a song or two they could submit.
- "songs in your native language" - English natives / English-raised may submit songs in their favourite foreign language of course

Some ideas that popped into my head in the last couple of weeks:
- "Blowing Brass" - Songs that contain Trumpets, Saxophones or similar, but regardless of genre. May be extended to non-metallic instruments like flutes or bagpipes?
- "Fiddling" - same idea, but string instruments played with a bow, such as Violins, again regardless of genre.
- "Original Score - Film" - Songs composed for movies
- "Original Score - Video Game" - Songs composed for video games.
- "used in Film" - Songs used in/made famous by (but not composed specifically for) movies.
- "used in Video Games" - Songs used in/made famous by (but not composed specifically for) video games.
- "specific letter" - songs and/or artists starting with a specific letter.
- "sweet 16" - A song you loved and maybe still love from when you were 16 (or roundabout that, if you can't pinpoint, lol)
- "my car" - a song you connect to a car you had or have. Maybe it was the first one that you played in it, maybe it was something you discovered or listened to around the time your bought it, or something you listened to on a memorable road trip with it.
- "Staying awake at the wheel" - Something you put on while driving to make sure you can last another couple of minutes (until you reach a rest area to take a break like the responsible adult that you are).
- "Hip Hop" - not everyone likes it, but some may have a guilty pleasure song in that genre, and I'm sure everyone knows at least a song or two they could submit.
- "songs in your native language" - English natives / English-raised may submit songs in their favourite foreign language of course

These are all so geil, mein Kollege.

A few ideas. None of these are easy to judge for the others in the league but could provide interestingly varied entries.
A song from a a moment to remember from your life - this has the risk/possibility of being too personal to share. But surely everyone has more than one song like this.
Power song - a song that get´s you going.... or makes you want to pick a fight at the kiosk late at night. Something of the sort.
A song that transformed your music taste

A few ideas. None of these are easy to judge for the others in the league but could provide interestingly varied entries.
A song from a a moment to remember from your life - this has the risk/possibility of being too personal to share. But surely everyone has more than one song like this.
This must be one of many "features" related to aphantasia, but I can't associate songs with situations. Or rather I can, but it will be more a projection rather than association. I'm sure I'd figure out a story to any song I'd want to submit there anyway.

How about “misheard lyrics”. And share the story of what you misheard!

Will put some of these ideas into action in the coming weeks and have a mini round (4 weeks).

Nom Gear Crossover Week - Songs that mention food or drink (Difficulty - cannot be the name of the artist, so no "all Meatloaf" playlist)

(Difficulty - cannot be the name of the artist, so no "all Meatloaf" playlist)
Bollocks, that's my Banana Splits entry down the toilet. :p

Nom Gear Crossover Week - Songs that mention food or drink (Difficulty - cannot be the name of the artist, so no "all Meatloaf" playlist)
I can’t submit Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bowling for Soup, or the The Flying Burrito Brothers, or even The Bacon Brothers. :(

Bananarama is right out.

So is Cream.

Finishing touches are being put to the next season...It's a short one - 5 weeks - and spots will be limited to 16 people.
Like last time the deadlines can move around if everyone submits or votes early, however the round timing won't change.

This time you WILL be able to see comments on each submission, where the owner decides to make a comment. So don't ruin it for everyone and give yourself away, but if you want to explain a choice, you can do so, and your identity will not be visible until afterwards.

Rounds are as follows:

WEEK 1: Bands or artists from your local area.
WEEK 2: Songs in either your native language, or a secondary/minor language that isn't English.
WEEK 3: Legendary bands from your country.
WEEK 4: Eurovision entries.
WEEK 5: Songs in a language that is NOT your native, secondary, or minor language.

If this sounds like the season for you, I'll drop the link below, get in quick! Submissions for round 1 will be due on March 19th.

Great! :)

For clarification: Is week 4 for also limited to entries from the participant's country?