FinalGear Racing 2010/24 Hours Of LeMons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a sweaty good time...may I suggest a kiddie pool? Or maybe a junked El Camino with a tarp and a bunch of water in the back?

Yay journal!

(And yes...do one for Ringmeet!)

Last edited:
We'll be tweeting a lot so you'll get up to date information quick and easy and I'll do a write-up afterwards.

Sounds like a sweaty good time...may I suggest a kiddie pool? Or maybe a junked El Camino with a tarp and a bunch of water in the back?

It would have evaporated within a few minutes, the heat was that bad. Keeping ourselves hydrated wasn't easy, we started out with 5 30 packs of water, 1 case of gatorade, and 3 30 packs of coke. By sunday night we were down to less than one case of water, 2 cases of coke, and the gatorade was gone the first day. We also went through ice like crazy, I think we used 5 bags each day.

Having a generator to power a fridge, AC and ice maker would work wonders, methinks.

Those are upgrades that will be made to the FGMCC, but first it needs to be insulated... BADLY.

2 inch glass wool + sheet wood + brackets to hold it in place + saw. Can be done in 1 afternoon.

It would have evaporated within a few minutes, the heat was that bad. Keeping ourselves hydrated wasn't easy, we started out with 5 30 packs of water, 1 case of gatorade, and 3 30 packs of coke. By sunday night we were down to less than one case of water, 2 cases of coke, and the gatorade was gone the first day. We also went through ice like crazy, I think we used 5 bags each day.

Well, there's your problem... you were dehydrating yourselves with caffeinated beverages! :p

2 inch glass wool + sheet wood + brackets to hold it in place + saw. Can be done in 1 afternoon.

1/2"-1.5" foam sheets would work better, be easier to install and wouldn't result in fiberglass getting everywhere. Painting the trailer something other than black would help out too. Even a basic reflective insulation type material should make a noticeable difference.

Well, there's your problem... you were dehydrating yourselves with caffeinated beverages! :p

The liquid they received outweighed what they lost because of caffeine by a factor of at least 100.

1/2"-1.5" foam sheets would work better, be easier to install and wouldn't result in fiberglass getting everywhere. Painting the trailer something other than black would help out too. Even a basic reflective insulation type material should make a noticeable difference.

I guess that was a bit overkill. We use 4 inch stone wool to bring the temp down from 400C to 70C.

I guess that was a bit overkill. We use 4 inch stone wool to bring the temp down from 400C to 70C.

Stone wool would be just as annoying as fiberglass since it has that same irritating particle thing going on, I would think it's also fairly expensive. From some quick research on stone wool though, I'm seeing it has an insulation R-value of 3.1-4 per inch of thickness, whereas a foam sheet has an R-value of 4-5 per inch to start, if you get a foil-back foam sheet it jumps to 7.2. So cheaper and better insulation still. (I'm a fan of foam insulation, by the way.) :mrgreen:

Only you would call 3100 lbs, a ton and a half, light. :p

There are incredibly few 3100 lb cars you can buy new off the lot today. Even an F430 is heavier than that (only the Scuderia would be lighter).
So yeah, it's sad, but I would call a 3100 lbs light these days. 3000 lbs is the new 2500 lbs.

Stone wool would be just as annoying as fiberglass since it has that same irritating particle thing going on, I would think it's also fairly expensive. From some quick research on stone wool though, I'm seeing it has an insulation R-value of 3.1-4 per inch of thickness, whereas a foam sheet has an R-value of 4-5 per inch to start, if you get a foil-back foam sheet it jumps to 7.2. So cheaper and better insulation still. (I'm a fan of foam insulation, by the way.) :mrgreen:
Yes, but only stone wool can withstand those temperatures we deal with to begin with. ;)

We only finished off one pack of coke and had a few cans from the second case, when you space it out over 3 days and there's a good number of people drinking, it's not that bad.

We only finished off one pack of coke and had a few cans from the second case, when you space it out over 3 days and there's a good number of people drinking, it's not that bad.

And the majority of those were on Friday, which was neither as unbearably hot nor was excessive hydration a life and death kind of thing.

I don't know what kind of insulation Quiky plans to add, but it's just one of many things the FGMCC needs.

Interior lighting.
Cabinets.
Wood floor sealed and covered with something.
Fridge.
Heater/AC.

I imagine when it's done it will look something like this

100_1256.jpg

100_1258.jpg

While I was writing everything, I realized just how few pictures I took, it just never crossed my mind to keep my camera handy. Hopefully for the next race there will not only be more pictures, but also do some video updates as well.

While I was writing everything, I realized just how few pictures I took, it just never crossed my mind to keep my camera handy. Hopefully for the next race there will not only be more pictures, but also do some video updates as well.

I might drag my photographer friend along with his D80, although his glass selection is limited (F/1.8 35mm is the only thing he has atm) he'd be more than happy to take pictures I expect, or I could just borrow it from him :p

Great writeup and Thankyou!

please please please please! We need race pics and meet pics so there will be lots to cover. All video gratefully received!

Status
Not open for further replies.