FinalGear Racing 2010/24 Hours Of LeMons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspection: passed. Penalty laps: 0

I'm assuming this means you passed the BS inspection as well as tech because if you flunk tech you don't run, if you have BS "issues" you can run but get penalty laps, right?
Good job!

Sweet! 0 Penalty laps! Now go kick some ass on the track.

Sweeeeet.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
I don't trust that message Ustream on Twitter, the lack of the word 'at' makes it look dodgy. Did you just post that? I have text alerts on btw. :)

Edit: I was over-reacting, the video's fine. :D Looks nice there.

Last edited:
This is what I sent to Quiky back in May. Sorry, I'm not trying to start anything, but I did try to get in touch.

May 11th, 2010 9:55 AM OldSkoolGP
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date Feb 12th, 2007
Location Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Age 30
Posts 89
Rep Power 24
24 Houres du Lemons in Chicago
I know you're not taking applications for drivers for the Chicago race right now, but when you do, please keep me in mind. I have 10 years of experience with the GM W-body platform. I had a 1992 Grand Prix that I dragged raced and road course raced quite successfully for 8 years, and I have the HPTuners software for the GM computers and experience tuning the platform. I would love to drive the car and I think I'd do pretty well, but I'd also be happy to crew as I know as much about driving them as I do about building them. I also live in southern WI so I'm only about 2.5 hours from Chicago. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Last edited:
We aren't at/doing Chicago. And no, I don't have that message in my pm folder.

Ok gang, here's the LeMons update for tonight. Not only am I under the normal stress that comes with LeMons, but the situation with my car has just made it 10 times worse. I'm not in the best state of mind right now, so updates this weekend are basically cliff notes versions. I just don't have the energy to go into great detail right now, but once I'm back home and feeling normal again I will be writing a second entry in the lemons journal. Part 2 will not take a month to write because this time I've kept notes which will help greatly. So I'm sorry to tease you guys like this, but you're going to get the start and finish of what went down with all the juicy details in the middle coming later in the journal.

I promise you the wait will be worth it.

First, for those interested in what's going on with my car, I drove it to an AAMCO this morning and it had no problems. I dropped it off and a few hours later they call me saying the transmission is fucked and needs a rebuild. I weighed over all the options and I'm stuck having them rebuild the tranny which is going to cost me $2,000 give or take and will not be done till the middle of next week, I'm stuck here 800 miles from home till then. I don't have the stregnth to keep talking about it so I'm just leaving it at that.

Now for LeMons. The short version is that we went into tech early and wound up failing. The techs didn't like the way our exhaust was held on and they wanted more roll cage padding, they also didn't like how our kill switch was marked. So we begged some chain off another team and welded it under the car to support the U bend in the exhaust and then made the other repairs. We went through tech again and passed without issue this time.

Right after that we got in like for BS inspection. Jay Lamm (LeMons creator and head honcho) walked past and said "I can sort you guys out, it's just a GP", to which I stupidly said "GTP". I'm running on 4 hours of sleep in the lasy 2 days, give me a break. And this made him want to take a MUCH closer look at the car. Skipping to the end, he gave us no laps. Since he signed off on our tech sheet with 0 laps, this allowed us to get a yellow packet full of papers which is what you need to get a transponder and your drivers bracelet.

EyeMWing ran ahead to get said packet while the rest of us stayed in the BS line. Our intention was to get BSed a second time by Murilee since he's been wanting to see this car for ages, and if he tried to give us laps we were going to pull the packet out to show we already were given no laps. Long story short, he knew the car and he knew us when he saw it. He was VERY excited to see and hear it in person. He gave the car a good look up and down and has us rev the engine twice so it could be caught on film. A lot of funny stuff happened here but I have to save it for later. But I'd say there's a very good chance this footage will show up on jalopnik this weekend or next, so be on the lookout.

In the end he also wound up giving us 0 laps.

See you guys tomorrow.

Last edited:
Woo!

Yaaaaaaaayyyyyy! Good luck!

That really sucks about your trans PB. Glad to hear all else went fairly smoothly.

Kick ass, guys! Great job with the 0 BS laps. My router is out, and wont get the new one till Monday. Thank God for the cell phone! I'll have to wait till Monday to watch the videos, but just keep updating Twitter. Good luck to everyone there.
And sorry to hear about the tranny PB. Hope it works out bub.

Ok here's the story for tonight, I'm stuck on a laptop that doesn't like me and I just lost the update I had been typing thanks to this touchpad, so here's another cliff notes version.

VooDoo went out first at 10 and was running great, basically nothing could touch the GTP, and Police Brutality's Mark 8 (which gets faster and faster each race) could stay ahead of us, but they were not having an easy time with it. It was basically those two cars chasing each other while they both passed everyone under the sun. Then we heard that we were sitting in THIRD place. When his stint was up we waited for the GTP to show, but it didn't, several minutes later we saw it was being towed back to our pit space.

Turns out the front drivers side wheel had broken off all the wheel studs and went flying off. It took 2 1/2 hours to get the car back on the track and during that time we replaced the front brake pads. But sadly we dropped down to 83 by then. Eventually we climbed to 81, then 75, then 66. Late in the day we pulled the pads to check them and well... see for yourself.

On the left is a pad that we used all weekend at Summit Point in June, on the right is a brand new pad of the same type.

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pu/punisherbass/2010/09/25/gtpbrakes1.JPG

Now here is the exact same pad about 4 hours later.

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pu/punisherbass/2010/09/25/gtpbrakes2.JPG

We're told there's a 90% chance of rain for sunday, so things are going to be interesting.

EDIT: For those of you wondering about a stream, it was up and running all day today, but it wasn't ours. I don't know if that link I posted a few pages back works or not, but they had a sign up tonight that read "Go to ustream.com and search for trackgeeks". That's all I can tell you I'm afraid, I hope it works for you.

Last edited:
I saw the twitter post regarding the studs..wow. What did you do Voodoo?? Kidding :).

Nothing, it's not his fault. If he hit something and that was the cause he'd be tied to the back of the tow rig about to take a fast drive down a gravel road right now. The studs just couldn't take the stress I guess. And thanks again for the sway bars, they alone have really improved the handling.

Ok here's the story for tonight, I'm stuck on a laptop that doesn't like me and I just lost the update I had been typing thanks to this touchpad, so here's another cliff notes version.

EDIT: For those of you wondering about a stream, it was up and running all day today, but it wasn't ours. I don't know if that link I posted a few pages back works or not, but they had a sign up tonight that read "Go to ustream.com and search for trackgeeks". That's all I can tell you I'm afraid, I hope it works for you.

No worries about cliff notes, you're trying to run a race, not write a novel. Glad you were able to get the car fixed and back out there.

Trackgeeks did work- real time in car video. The link from a few pages back had either trackside video (one was 6 minutes long) or nothing, at least when I tried it this afternoon my time.

Last edited:
Fuck! :(

Hopefully you guys can make it back up into the top 10 today. Good luck! And remember -- slow(-ish) and steady!

You got to third at one point?! Congratulations!!! Man, that blows about the wheel. :(

Hopefully rain will shake things up again and you can jump ahead of a bunch of folks again. My old Pontiac was loads of fun in the rain, so hopefully its big sister is, too. :)

Great, prepare car well and then the wheel struds fuck you....can't see that shit coming :/

The car really was running great, we were overtaking just about everything. E30s, E36s, miatas, you name it. Such a shame the wheel came off on the last lap of my stint.

Status
Not open for further replies.