FinalGear Weekly Photo Assignment #1 - "In Motion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
Theme: "In Motion" - Try to express the idea of "motion" in a still photograph. Be creative!

Timeframe: Your entry must be emailed to finalgearphoto@gmail.com on or before midnight Mountain Time 04/29. (Contests from now on will start Sunday and end the 2nd following Sunday.)

Prize: Bragging rights, and a position in the soon-to-be-created Winners' Gallery!

Restrictions: Please follow the following restrictions in order to submit an eligible entry.

- Your image must be a maximum of 1000 pixels (height or width), and a minimum of 500 pixels (height or width).
- Your submission email should have the title of the image and "Contest #1" in the subject. Please title your images, as the poll must have some way to distinguish between them - I don't want half the vote options to be "Untitled."
- Also, when you email your submission, make sure you include your FinalGear screen name so I know who's submitting what!
- Only one submission per user. Please do not create multiple accounts to submit more images, as it is 1) unethical, and 2) statistically reduces your chance of winning anyway.
- Your image must NOT contain any borders or signatures or anything to identify the photo as your own. The images will be stripped of EXIF data as to make the vote 100% anonymous. Please do not mention which photo is yours, and please do not post that image anywhere until the contest is over.
- Your image must have been taken after the contest has started, I will not accept old photos that happen to match the subject. This contest is designed to promote creativity, not find out who has the biggest backlog of good photos.
- Your image may be altered in whatever imaging software you choose, without actually altering the content of the photograph. (i.e. you can alter the curves as much as you want, but you can't paste in David Hasselhoff.) Editing out distracting non-content objects such as power lines is also acceptable.
- Please keep the submissions taseful and without gore/nudity. I like nude photography as much as the next guy, but this is a public forum. Don't submit anything you wouldn't put up in a public area.

If you have any comments or suggestions about the rules of the FinalGear contests, please voice them in the appropriate forum, or in this thread if you want.

When submitting your image, feel free to suggest a topic for the next contest!

Good luck, and have fun!

(Apologies to AccessPhoto for ripping off their rule scheme somewhat.) :D

Mods: Could I get a sticky for this, please? :)

Carsightings said:
for next time what about city pictures?

Not a bad topic, but remember that not everyone here may live in or have easy access to cities. I'm going to try to include as many people in my topics as I can.

but you can't paste in David Hasselhoff.)
as if anyone would voluntarily do that. :yucky:

anyway, email? can't we send you a pm?

I guess you could PM me, yeah. I prefer email because I can keep it a bit more organized and be able to backlog entries, but I guess you could PM me in a pinch.

hahahah

silly catsplat.

:p

imma do my best with the motion thing...see if i can come up with anything, or dig through anything...

whoster said:
NOOO i CAN'T USE OLD ONES@#1

AHHH
thank god, otherwise we'd be all pwned by now already. :lol:

catsplat,

i can mail it, no problem. :)

Re: FinalGear Weekly Photo Assignment #1 - "In Motion&q

Re: FinalGear Weekly Photo Assignment #1 - "In Motion&q

BerserkerCatSplat said:
- Your image must have been taken after the contest has started, I will not accept old photos that happen to match the subject. This contest is designed to promote creativity, not find out who has the biggest backlog of good photos.

Guess this rule is lame. Not anybody has the time to go and take pictures everytime the contest is on. I think we shouldn't care about the date of picture.

Re: FinalGear Weekly Photo Assignment #1 - "In Motion&a

Salar said:
BerserkerCatSplat said:

Guess this rule is lame. Not anybody has the time to go and take pictures everytime the contest is on. I think we shouldn't care about the date of picture.

So you think this contest should basically be a competition about who has more old good photos than anyone else? There's a lot of us on here that have a rather large collection of images, and the contest would be weighted heavily in our favour if we could use them.

If you don't have time to take photos every week, then don't participate every week, I guess. I could stretch the timeframe to two weeks if everyone figures they need more than one week to take a picture of something in motion.

OK, here's what I'll do.

Timeframe will be extended to two weeks, at the end of that period I will set up a voting thread for that contest, the voting period will be one week. I will simultaneously create a new contest thread, so you're all not sitting around for the voting week.

Sound OK?

BerserkerCatSplat said:
If you don't have time to take photos every week, then don't participate every week, I guess.

Thank you very much. :eek: You stole my idea, and now this... :?

i think one month is a better time frame.

I dont know about you guys but for the past month, it's been raining here. Only sunlight maybe once out of the whole month.

Of course i agree with "best pic out of back logs" point. But one month is fairly recent to me.

A month? Phew, that's quite long.. It only takes you an hour or so to create something for a contest like this if you set your mind to it. I think the one week period is long enough.

Salar said:
BerserkerCatSplat said:
If you don't have time to take photos every week, then don't participate every week, I guess.

Thank you very much. :eek: You stole my idea, and now this... :?

Crikey. It's not like you're the first person to come up with the idea of a photo contest. You started a thread suggesting it, Carsigtings asked if someone wanted to make one, so I volunteered to take care of it. I'm not trying to insult you, but I take the time to lay out some rules so the contest isn't completely chaotic, and you call them "lame." Cut me a break, I'm just trying to make it so everyone can participate on an even playing field. If you can't get a good shot on a topic within the timeframe, it's not the end of the world, just wait for the next one.

AxlxA: A month seems a bit long to me, as summer is approaching and photo opportunities are getting more frequent. I would agree with a 1-month timeframe if there were tons of people participating, but I think we'll only see a dozen or so entries. If the majority of people want 1 month, then that's what we'll do. Until we've nailed down what everyone wants, I'll use 2 weeks as a placeholder timeframe.

Carsightings: Great photo! However, if you take another one you like better, let me know and I'll change your entry. There's lots of time left! :D

BerserkerCatSplat said:
Crikey. It's not like you're the first person to come up with the idea of a photo contest. You started a thread suggesting it, Carsigtings asked if someone wanted to make one, so I volunteered to take care of it. I'm not trying to insult you, but I take the time to lay out some rules so the contest isn't completely chaotic, and you call them "lame." Cut me a break, I'm just trying to make it so everyone can participate on an even playing field. If you can't get a good shot on a topic within the timeframe, it's not the end of the world, just wait for the next one.
I still can't see why you were the volunteer to write/make the rules. Just because carsighting said and you got approved by him?
No offense, but you're a bit selfish on this one. I STILL don't care that much, and if everybody agrees with these rule and contest, and there are not any more suggestions, it's good enough then.

The rules are fine for me, and I guess they would've been rather similar if Salar would've made them - it's a good framework for working on the topic, and I think as well that including old photos doesn't really make sense - you also could simply download great shots from the internet, then, but that's not what this competition is all about.

I'm thinking that two weeks would be the best period to enter your photo, one week is a little bit short especially if you're busy and don't get out a lot, and I don't want to wait a month for the final lineup personally :p

Status
Not open for further replies.