FinalGear's Most Beautiful Cars Results! pt1

Not one of mine has been mentioned yet, I did pretty good :)

Yes; you told me to in the PM and there weren't any other new GT500 votes.

6 and 7 point cars will come later tonight (give me time, it takes me 3 hours or so to do one post of updates!)

so did the old GT500 go in with the GT350?

Thank you

Two of mine out: the Stratos (I voted for the Stradale version) and the gorgeous Hispano. That leaves 7, most of which I expect to turn up shortly.

@mautzel: the 205 was legendary, but I wouldn't call it "beautiful". Of course, it would have helped some to see it in a different light if teeb had chosen a picture of the GTI :p

I guess the 205 was the better looking version of it, yes. But since the Volvo 262 popped up with more points, I don't feel any guilt in voting for the 205. Sure, the Volvo Coupe's something special, but amongst the best looking cars ever? Hmm.

http://img180.imageshack.**/img180/6718/logoqb8.jpg

6 points

http://img88.imageshack.**/img88/6513/6pointsjd5.jpg

Alfa Romeo 166 (after facelift) - "I know you got soul." The Alfa 166 was designed by the Centro Stile Alfa Romeo under the control of Walter de'Silva (now head of all VW group design). The after facelift model came with a range of tweaks - most noticeably new styling, but also an updated chassis, interior and engine choice.
Alfa Romeo GTA 1300 Junior - "I love this car, and hope to get one some day". The GTA was a coupe designed by Bertone and developed by Autodelta (Alfa's racing division) with an eye to motorsport. The 1300 Junior had a smaller 95bhp straight-four engine.
BMW M Coupe - The M Coupe - also known as the "Bread Van" or the "Shoe" - is based on the BMW M Roadster. As the M Coupe had to remain profitable to survive, many parts are identical to M Roadster bits - everything from the A-pillar forwards and most of the interior. Due to the car's "unique" styling it was never a huge sales success.
Chevrolet Camaro (4th generation) - Pictured is the facelifted version. Like every Camaro since the 1st, this generation is a 2 door coupe with 2+2 seating, RWD and V6 or V8 engine choices. The stripes are optional. This generation lasted from 1993 to 2002.
Duesenberg J437 Weyman Boattail Speedster - "Duesenbergs are among the most beautiful and luxurious cars of the 20s and 30s, and this is just one of the many examples of this."
Ferrari 550 Maranello - The 550 gets its numerals from its engine displacement - 5.5 litres. Unusually for Ferraris of the time, it was front-engined, with a V12, and the boot could take a set of golf clubs. You know, because if you own a Ferrari your first thought is to rush off to play golf.
Ferrari 599 GTB - The 599 is the 550/575's replacement. Designed by Pininfarina (under Frank Stephenson's watchful eye), the first crashed 599 (ironically enough) was written off by a Car and Driver journalist, mere metres from a monument to Enzo Ferrari.
Mercedes Benz SLC - the SLC was an odd mixture - it had W114 underpinnings, with a bigger engine, but styling from the S-class of it's time. The full-size windows couldn't fully retract, which is a bit odd for a luxury coupe when you think about it.
Morgan 4/4 - The 4/4 was Morgan's first four-wheeled car. First appearing in 1936, it is still in production today (minus a pause during WW2). Recent changes include a 1.8 litre Ford engine and, well, that's it. It's got wooden underpinnings, which according to the company, is a very strong material.
Porsche 911 (997) - The 997 911's styling is evolutionary, not revolutionary. It draws inspiration from the 993, and at the same time has the same basic shape as the 996, minus the slightly-controversial 'fried egg' front lights. The 997 is the most successful (commercially) 911 to date.
Porsche 928 - "The 928 is perhaps the most radical Porsche ever made, it was designed to replace the 911 and was every bit good enough to do so. It's design is one of the most timeless ones ever made." The fastest production car on the road in 1986, the 928 was the European Car of the Year in 1978 - the only sports car ever to have won.
Westfield XI - The Westfield XI is a replica of the Lotus 11, essentially. Except you can buy it today, either in kit-car or in fully-assembled form. Evo magazine were so taken by it's 65bhp that they took a kit in as a long-term test and got their hands dirty building it.

7 points

http://img208.imageshack.**/img208/9473/7pointsfq4.jpg

Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato - The DB4 GT was a normal DB4 improved by the Zagato factory in Italy. Improving, in this case, means new styling, and 74 more horsepower. Only 20 were built and they now change hands for ?750,000 and more.
Bentley Continental GT - A favourite amongst footballers, the Conti GT has a top speed of 195mph. It also holds the world speed ice record, having been driven at 199.9mph in Finland.
Chevrolet C10 - This vote was, in fact, "Chevrolet 197x truck c10 blazer etc", so I've taken a C10 as the photo. Because I can. It's a pickup, so it has an optional V8.
Citroen C6 - "Admit you'd want one". I do. It's the most expensive vehicle offered by a French manufacturer (if you ignore Bugatti), and a return to quirky form for Citroen. It's rear windscreen has no wiper, as the concave design means it should clean itself.
Lamborghini Countach - "The original hypercar, holds a holy place on every schoolboys wall, only it being completely ridiculous keeps it from being higher up on the list.". It looks less like a car and more like a starship. The word Countach is an exclamation of astonishment in the local Piedmontese language - generally used by men on seeing an extremely beautiful woman.
Mazda RX-7 3rd gen - The third generation of RX-7 kept the highly amusing Wankel engine, but swapped the straight-line styling of its predecessors for something much more curvaceous. It was also Playboy's Car of the Year in 2003. Perhaps the curves helped.
Plymouth Superbird - The Superbird was designed to win at NASCAR racing, plain and simple. To that end it had an aerodynamic front nosecone, an almost absurdly large rear spoiler, and a horn that made the Road Runner 'beep beep' noise when pressed. The horn alone added 65bhp.
Porsche 911 964 - "The Porsche 911 is a timeless classic, and for me the best looking of them all is the 964 generation. It was the last of the line with the old body shell. Turbo S as pictured above is for me the ultimate 911 shape."

A little confused by the point system, 6 points for the Mercedes Benz SLC mean it wasn't just me who had it on his list? I never met anyone else who actually liked it.

You ranked it 5th, which is equivelant to 6 points. Nobody else voted for it. :)

teeb - Just being curious, how many entries did you get?

31, which is a very reasonable number.

Really? I would have kept the voting open a bit longer, there are a lot of people on this forum and I'm sure the results would have been a lot different had more people participated.

Really? I would have kept the voting open a bit longer, there are a lot of people on this forum and I'm sure the results would have been a lot different had more people participated.

Possibly. The 'Cars of the 60s' got just about 30, I believe, and the coming-in of votes had dried up from my bumping in the thread.

The results - especially higher up - will hopefully show that it's representative though.

Mazda RX-7 3rd gen - The third generation of RX-7 kept the highly amusing Wankel engine, but swapped the straight-line styling of its predecessors for something much more curvaceous. It was also Playboy's Car of the Year in 2003. Perhaps the curves helped.

And there's my #6. I hope my #5 haven't been neglected in favour of her less elegant bigger sister.

There's my 1, 3, and 4-point cars gone. Yes, I'm the nutcase who voted for that Chrysler Concorde, and I will go to the cross without renouncing it! Why so little love for the Volvo P1800? I can understand the MR2 not being as adored as other cars, but surely a bunch of gearheads would pay attention to the only good-looking Volvo ever.

Possibly. The 'Cars of the 60s' got just about 30, I believe, and the coming-in of votes had dried up from my bumping in the thread.

The results - especially higher up - will hopefully show that it's representative though.

IMO, people will be more prone to vote for their top 10 favorite looking cars than certain special cars from one time period. Just about any regular member of this forum probably has a top 10 list of best looking cars. Just a thought.

Wooo! Only one of my votes have been cast so far... (you are all going to kill me) it was for the C10... although the one pictured is the wrong grill.

ChevyPU-1971C1JeffDrennan.jpg

That's better, Such a good looking truck....

Last edited:
I got another one of mine up there. BMW M Coupe FTW

I can vouch for the fact that a 550 will carry a set of golf clubs. And a 26 inch suitcase. And a tumi duffel bag. And 2 guys in blazers.
And no, I didn't vote for it. I didn't even submit a ballot.