FinalGear's Most Beautiful Cars Results! pt1

Come on, none of mine have still showed up. This epic thread is distracting me too much from my work!!

Just the 8 pointers tonight, because each update takes a large chunk of time. Next update after this will probably be Monday (I'm away this weekend).

http://img180.imageshack.**/img180/6718/logoqb8.jpg

8 points

http://img371.imageshack.**/img371/5672/8pointszy6.jpg

Aston Martin V12 Vanquish - The V12 Vanquish, designed by Ian Callum, was Aston's flagship car from 2001 until 2007. Along with the DB7, it ushered in a new design language for Aston Martin of curves. Famous for it's role in the Bond film Die Another Day, the V12 was criticised for using Ford Mondeo switchgear inside.
BMW 8-Series - "BMW's first and last super saloon was amazingly beautiful". Well, with only two doors it's technically a coupe, but I take the point. $2.2 billion was spent developing this, designed to fight the CL-class from Mercedes. It came with both V8 and V12 engines.
Ferrari F40 - The Ferrari F40 was the last car to be commissioned by Enzo Ferrari before he died. He was 90 when he commissioned it - the result, not something you'd expect a 90 year old to drive. The design - by Pininfarina - had aerodynamics as a priority, and as a result the F40 was the first road-legal production car to break the 200mph mark.
Ferrari 360 Modena - The 360, designed by Pininfarina, broke away from Ferrari's previous angular cars and returned to a more curvy look - designed to hark back to 60s Ferraris. It had a new V8 engine, and the Modena in the name refers to Enzo Ferrari's birthplace.
Ferrari Enzo - The Ferrari Enzo is the most powerful unsuper/turbocharged car in the world. It uses Formula One technology, along with a few bits and bobs banned in F1. 399 were originally made, and a 400th was built and presented to the Pope ("Christianity's Driver", according to the plaque), which was then auctioned off for the tsunami appeal. The car, not the Pope.
Lotus Elise - When the Elise first debuted in 1995, Lotus made a mistake by mounting it on a turntable. Looking up at it, it looked like a dune buggy with high ground clearance. Once on the ground though the Elise turned out to be a pocket rocket and the current model, introduced in 2002, has been a huge success for Lotus.
Maserati 3200 GT - The 3200 GT, with it's curvy boomerang rear lights, is a favourite of mine. Designed by Italdesign, the 3200 GT had a V8, and sadly only lasted 4 years before US regulations killed off the gorgeous rear end due to "visibility reasons".
Pontiac Trans Am (2nd gen) - The 2nd generation Pontiac Trans Am was a 2 door coupe based on the Pontiac Firebird, like its predecessor. Production lasted 11 years, and it featured in the film "Smokey and the Bandit".
Porsche 356 Speedster - The Porsche 356 was Porsche's first production car. The Speedster was introduced in 1954, after the American importer - Max Hoffman - told the company a lower cost open top version would sell well. Including Speedsters, over 76,000 356s were eventually made.
Volkswagen Golf GTI mk 1 - Giorgetto Giugiaro designed the original Golf, and the GTI version followed 2 years later. Almost single-handedly, it invented the 'hot hatch' segment in Europe, and it came with a whole 108 bhp.

Looks like I'm alone in my jaw-dropping reaction to the Vanquish. There goes my 8-pointer, along with my 1, 3, and 4. Still more than half left!

Finally, one of mine are revealed, the F40.

Looks like I am not the only Classic Lincoln fan here.

There goes another one of mine. The 2nd gen Trans Am, although I had my vote in for the facelifted 1977/'78 one. The (slant-nose quad headlight one)
http://img525.imageshack.**/img525/9981/77tabiglu5.jpg

The 2nd gen camaro beat the enzo, F40, 360 Modona AND V12 vantage!

81zwhite.jpg

:lol: BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Enzo is rolling in his grave!

Last edited:
All 10 of mine haven't been shown yet. :D

The 2nd gen camaro beat the enzo, F40, 360 Modona AND V12 vantage!

81zwhite.jpg

:lol: BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Enzo is rolling in his grave!

What? Sometime I wonder about you Matt.

Mautzel said:
Seems like I'm the only one who likes the design of the 356 Speedster.

No, I'm a big fan too. I forgot though when I made my list. Maybe not in this paint scheme though. (That was a replica, thankfully)

Do we have some more results coming today? :)

Yes. I had done a full double update, and I was just typing up the last car, when my pc crashed. Naturally I hadn't saved and lost everything, which is really off-pissing.

So have a shorter single update instead. The 10 pointers will come tomorrow, and then it will get more exciting.

http://img180.imageshack.**/img180/6718/logoqb8.jpg

9 point cars

http://img255.imageshack.**/img255/859/9pointske5.jpg

Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Touring Spyder - "One of the finest sports cars of the 30s, this model recently won the prestigious Louis Vuitton Classical Concours Award."
BMW 635si E24 - The E24 generation 6-series' design was heavily influenced by the 5-series of its day, and remained in production for 14 years.
Chevrolet Camaro g3 - The 3rd generation Camaro began production in 1982, and in the same year won Motor Trend's Car of the Year award. This generation also introduced the IROC-Z variant, named after the International Race of Champions, and brought with it a variety of performance improvements.
Mercedes Benz Count Trossi SSK - This car was custom-built for Count Carlo Felice Trossi, an Italian racing driver. It lacked doors, but had 18 inch wheels and 300 bhp to make up for this fact. Ralph Lauren had it restored in the 90s, which took over 5000 man hours, and it went on to take Best in Show at the 2007 Villa d'Este Concours, held near Rome, Italy. If you need me to tell you Rome is in Italy, though, you should have a close encounter with an atlas.
Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta SWB - The SWB in the name refers to the short wheelbase, which meant better handling. 176 of these were built, with 240 to 280 bhp. In 2005, one sold for a smidge over $1,300,000.
Ferrari 288 GTO - The Ferrari 288 GTO was the first in the line of ultra-high performance Ferraris, which led onto the F40, F50 and Enzo. Built to satisfy homologation requirements for Group B racing, the GTO never raced in Group B as only Ferrari and Porsche entered. 5 'Evoluzione' models, with more aerodynamic and aggressive styling and increased power, were also built. Only 2 remain today.
Ferrari 456 - The Ferrari 456 was a front-engined GT 2+2 Ferrari. Production began in 1992. More interesting, though, is the variants of it. The Sultan of Brunei ordered 2 custom saloon variants, which were built by Pininfarina. The same company made 7 estate versions for Prince Jefri of Brunei. A few convertibles were built by Pininfarina, too, 2 of which went to the Sultan of Brunei. A man of taste, it would appear.
Hispano-Suiza H6C Tulipwood Torpedo - "Another model commissioned by Andre Dubonnet. A fully wooden body was built by Nieuport Aviation for the H6C chassis.". The idea was to have a car suitable for touring and racing. The body frame was made of 3/4inch thick wood, with 1/8th inch wooden laqeur over it. The total weight of the frame was 160 pounds.
Jaguar XJ220 - Before the McLaren F1 it was the XJ220 which held the top-speed record for production cars. It was an idea first formed in Jaguar's "The Saturday Club". The Saturday Club was an informal gathering of Jag employees, either after-hours or on Saturdays, who met to work on 'pet' projects. The XJ220 was one of these - designed to be a V12-powered lightweight 2 seat supercar. Some of that made it to production. The V12 was lost in place of a twin-turbo V6. Famous customers included Elton John and our old friend the Sultan of Brunei.
Jaguar XK g1 - The first XK started production in 1996, and had the same underpinnings as the Aston Martin DB7. Limited to 155mph, the car originally had a V8 engine - the first Jaguar to have a V8 - and a choice of 290bhp (naturally aspirated) or a supercharged 370bhp.
Continental Mark II (Lincoln Continental 1957) - The 1955/57 Continental was in fact an entirely new division - the Continental division - set up in 1955. Ford had decided it needed more glamour, so produced this. It cost the same as a new Rolls-Royce of the time, at $10,000, and even then Ford lost around $1,000 per car. Around 3,000 were made - it was never a big sales success due to the price - and Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra both owned one.
Mercedes Benz 600 - The MB 600 was built with one goal in mind - to be the absolute pinnacle of automotive engineering. A complex hydraulic system powered everything from the windows to the seats to the automatically-closing doors. A spate of celebrities have owned them, including the Pope, John Lennon, Chairman Mao, Elvis again, Rowan Atkinson, and Jeremy Clarkson. Which is the only time those 6 people appear in the same sentence.
Porsche 962 - "Dr Ferry Porsche once said that "Functional design is beautiful, because it's so calming as you can see that it is right" The 962 did indeed have just that, functional design. The Porsche 956/962 is the most successful endurance race car ever made, and looking at it it's not difficult to see, it looks right. What I love about it's looks is the way the bodywork is sculptured around the passenger compartment, over the wings, down to the intakes and all the way back to the rear wing."