FinalGear's Most Beautiful Cars Results! pt1

There goes my #4 - Maserati 250F

I love the GT40! :mrgreen:

I don't think the 250F is that good looking though.

My 4th place car, DB7 is down.

I still havn't seen 4 of my cars. Hmmm, wonder if they're ahead.

I don't think the 250F is that good looking though.

I can understand that because it doesn't look like most cars we've seen for the past 50 years. Its pretty simplistic in its design and I wouldn't expect many to vote for it (maybe got 3 votes on here?) but I think it is just an achingly beautiful machine.

I can understand that because it doesn't look like most cars we've seen for the past 50 years. Its pretty simplistic in its design and I wouldn't expect many to vote for it (maybe got 3 votes on here?) but I think it is just an achingly beautiful machine.

I can totally see were our coming from! :D

Bordeaux, France I believe. Maybe there is a cheese strike. :p

I was on a mini holiday. In Spain. Without internet. ?_?

There'll be a double update tonight to make up...*

*I really shouldn't say things like this

http://img180.imageshack.**/img180/6718/logoqb8.jpg

Update! Double one at that. As I said, sorry about the big gap; I had a minibreak mostly sans internet.

Today's Trivia : The country with the most number of cars in the list is Italy, unsurprisingly. Surprisingly enough, there's only 2 cars difference in between 2nd and 3rd place in 'country-car-numbers', with the UK in 2nd and the USA in 3rd.

20 points

http://img137.imageshack.**/img137/8532/20pointszz3.jpg

Citroen DS - It's fairly well known that if you pronounce the letters DS in French, it sounds like d?esse, which is French for 'Goddess'. It's fairly appropriate for a car that came second in the Telegraph's 'best looking cars' poll that led to this one.

The DS wasn't just a looker, though, it was an innovation in its own right. It looked like nothing else on the road at the time (12,000 orders were taken the first day it was on display at the Paris Motor Show, including 743 in the first 15 minutes), it contained numerous new technologies (such as hydropneumatic self-levelling suspension and headlights that swivel around corners) and, along with the 2CV, it's set Citroen's reputation as a 'quirky' car maker.

The DS was designed by sculptor and industrial designer Flaminio Bertoni, and spent almost 20 years on the market, with almost 1.5 million of them being built. It was a car that came third in a 'Car of the Century' poll, behind only the Model T and Mini, it was a car that looked great in saloon, convertible and estate forms, it was a car that put France back on the map after WW2, and it was a car credited with saving the life of France's most famous President. Not many cars can claim all that.

(Ferrari) Dino 246

Sorry, the name there's abit of a misnomer. The car was never technically badged a Ferrari. The 'Dino' appelation was in fact a sub-brand of Ferrari, designed for cars with less than 12 cylinders. Only 3 cars were made under the Dino name, although there are rumours of a new one to be unveiled soon.

The Dino models used Ferrari racing's naming system of displacement and cylinder count with two digits for the size of the engine in deciliters and the third digit to represent the number of cylinders, so the 246 was a 2.4 litre 6 cylinder engined car.

The Dino name was to honour Enzo Ferrari's (deceased) son, Alfredo "Dino" Ferrari. The 246 that bears his name was the first Dino to be produced in any kind of number, with over 3,700 built in both GT and Spyder variants. The 246's engine came in useful in other places too, not least of which was the Lancia Stratos rally car.

21 points

Just one here :

http://img98.imageshack.**/img98/3318/21pointskn3.jpg

Audi R8

In 2005, Audi decided that their successful R8 racecar should have a production equivelant. Something with the same name. Something fast, something...supercarry. Helpfully, Audi had the 'Le Mans quattro' concept from 2003, itself inspired by the RSQ floaty Audi thing from Will Smith's "I, Robot" film.

The R8 uses a 4.2 litre V8 engine, god for 414 bhp. It's based on the Gallardo platform (Audi owns Lamborghini), and a rumoured R8 variant with the Gallardo's V10 has been, well, rumoured. As for the car, well, its design stands out, even amongst supercar rivals. It is designed to compete with the Porsche 911, and (amazingly enough) it appears to succeed. evo magazine, for example, said "Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.". It also won Playboy's Car of the Year for 2008, and from a more reliable source, Top Gear Magazine's Car of the Year in 2007.

As for the R8's future? Well, a diesel V12 concept was on display at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show, and indeed many journos were invited to drive it (jalopnik, for example). As well as having shaken up the 911, the R8 may just turn out to be the first proper diesel supercar, too.

There goes my #1 pick.

So far, I have 66 points total over 7 cars.