FinalGear's Most Beautiful Cars Results! pt1

Glad to see I'm not the only fan of cars from the 1930s and, more specifically, of the Alfa Romeos :)

You definitely aren't, although the Alfa didn't get any votes from me. Nice to see that people thought of cars like the Hispano Suiza as well.

I almost...almost voted for the 240Z and almost voted for the Alfa Giulia TZ2. I'm liking where this is going though, good results thus far! Just as long as the matt-maro isn't number 1 <_<

My 2nd place, 9-point car is down: Jaguar XJ220. I'm surprised that only I voted for it.

Thanks teeb for putting up that picture of the Talbot Lago, you're the man :bow: That's 8 cars gone so far, but I expect the 2 remaining to be close to the top.

I lost the Alfa Giulia TZ2 and the 2900B Touring Spyder,the MB Count Trossi SSK, and the Duesenberg Mormon Meteor. I was going to put down a vote for that Talbot-Lato, but I ran out of room on my list.
I doubt my number 1 will win overall, but if it's not close then I will lose faith in humanity.

http://img180.imageshack.**/img180/6718/logoqb8.jpg

Have another update today, you lucky people. As the number of cars per update gets smaller, I'm trying to find bigger pictures and more info. Hope this is OK with you.

Today's Trivia : Joining Renault in the no-votes hall of shame are Hyundai, Kia and Proton. Not a strong showing from our Korean and Malaysian friends. If nothing else I would've expected a sympathy vote for the Hyundai Coupe / Tiburon.

12 point cars. Well, just the one.

http://img91.imageshack.**/img91/707/12pointsha0.jpg

Pagani Zonda C12S - The Pagani Zonda is a very exclusive supercar made by Pagani of Italy. Production started in 1999, and the car makes extensive use of carbonfibre and aerodynamics. The car was designed by Horacio Pagani.

Pagani, an Argentinian, wrote to his fellow countryman (and F1 driver) Juan Manuel Fangio, asking about a job in the Silicon Valley of Speed - Modena, Italy. Fangio wrote a letter of recommendation, and Pagani ended up working for Lamborghini. He formed his own company - Modena Design - in the late 80s, who today count amongst their clients Lambo and Ferrari, Renault and others. However, Pagani wanted to thank Fangio by making a car in his honour. Fangio's response? "I am a Mercedes man, so that is the engine you must use." Originally, the car was going to be called the Fangio F1, but when he died the name changed. Only with the Zonda F - the newest Pagani - does Horacio feel the car is good enough to warrant his idol's name - the F standing for Fangio.

The Zonda today (arguably) holds the record for fastest production car time around the famous Nurburgring, in F Clubsport guise. The C12S version, the one pictured here, had 542 bhp and has a top speed of 220mph. Oh, and a $350,000 price tag. As of 2005, only 60 Zondas (in all guises) had been built.

13 point cars

http://img390.imageshack.**/img390/5899/13pointspd4.jpg

Ferrari F355 - In the early 1990s, Ferrari wasn't doing very well. In 1993, production had dropped 50 percent over two years, the F40 was no longer the fastest car on the planet, and the 348 was an also-ran in magazine comparison tests. As CAR magazine summed up in 1994, ?When someone else makes the most coveted sports car in the world, you feel an injustice ... ?. If nothing else, the Honda NSX had shown the Italians that it's possible to make a supercar that won't fall apart after a few miles.

The Ferrari F355 was the followup to the Ferrari 348, and was launched in 1994. The name derives from the engine capacity plus number of valves per cylinder, as they were proud to boast about this technological advancement, so that 355 = 3.5 litres engine capacity and 5 valves per cylinder. The styling was tuned in a wind tunnel, which meant better aerodynamics. It also had a completely flat floor.

Eventually, 5 versions were available : the coupe (Berlinetta), a targa-roof (GTS), a convertible (the Spider), a racing variant (F355 Challenge), and the 355 Serie Fiorano, a limited run of 100 signifying the end of F355 production. Overall, 11,273 F355s were built. The Ferrari F355, in all its forms, was so well-received that that former Ferrari F1 champion Phil Hill named it as one of the 10 best Ferraris ever, placing it alongside such immortals as the 250 GTO and 250 SWB.

McLaren F1 - "The McLaren F1 is one of the most significant cars ever made. This is mostly down to it's mechanicals, packaging and aerodynamics. In therms of design it's no less of an achivement as it still looks every bit as modern today as it did 15 years ago. It was the perfect design done by Peter Stevens to to fit the engineering work done by Gordon Murray."

Before the Bugatti Veyron, there was only one supercar that commanded every superlative and journalistic clich? in the book - the McLaren F1. The styling was done by Peter Stevens (who, since you can't really better designing the F1, ended up taking a job at MG Rover), and the chief engineer was Gordon Murray. The car was able to hit 231mph officially (with a rev limiter), although a five year old prototype F1 hit 240mph at Ehra-Lessien, VW's test circuit in Germany.

The team making the F1 decided to only use the best materials they can. For example, each F1 contains 25 grams of gold (in the form of foil), used as an insulator for the engine. The V12 powerplant was custom-built for them at BMW. Tyres were specially developed by Goodyear and Michelin, and are protected by a tough paint (as normal tyres would not cope with 200mph+ speeds). As carbon-based ceramic brakes were in their infancy, they were shunned and Brembo brake discs were used instead.

To give you an idea of how good the McLaren F1 was, Gordon Murray is often asked if, given the chance, he'd make a new one (or what would he change). His response? "Besides updating the brakes and the headlights, I wouldn't change a thing". There you go.

Aston Martin V8 Vantage (1st generation) - At its introduction in 1973, the V8 Vantage was hailed as "Britain's first supercar", due to its 170mph top speed. It shared an engine from the Lagonda (a V8, funnily enough), but had various tweaks, such as larger intake valves and high performance camshafts.

The Vantage name had been used before on high-performance versions of Astons, but this was the first time it was a separate, distinct model. 0-60mph took 5.3 seconds, which was better than the equivelant Ferrari of the day - the Daytona. The car was famous for its appearance in the Bond film 'The Living Daylights'. Extra features added by Q involved retractable outrigger side skis, a jet engine hidden behind the rear number plate and heat-seeking missiles.

Production lasted 13 years, from 1977 to 1989, and 534 were built - 342 saloons and 192 convertibles. The V8 Vantage name was recently used again for the new 'baby' Aston Martin.

Last edited:
Two more of mine are down.

Ferrari 355 and Mclaren F1. Both 13 pointers.

How about when everything is done, we will add up our points for each car we voted for and post them to see who did the best job. Then teeb can add them to the first post along with the top 10 cars.

Two more of mine are down.

Ferrari 355 and Mclaren F1. Both 13 pointers.

How about when everything is done, we will add up our points for each car we voted for and post them to see who did the best job. Then teeb can add them to the first post along with the top 10 cars.

That would make a cool extra dimension to this thread, I don't think the posting is necessary because (I would presume) teeb still has all our pm's. Plus it might be kind of hard to get everyone who contributed back to recontribute.

I can't believe I forgot the Mclaren F1! If I had remembered, it would have 22 points for sure.

Love the thread so far. How many votes did the top car get?

Just so I know if there's 1 post to go or 34.

So another 3 of mine out: F430, Zonda (I specified an F in naked CF) and V8 Vantage 1st gen, which was my number one.

Damn, stupid work, I missed out on this thread entirely!

Anyway, of the list of ten-most-beautiful-cars-I-did-not-submit only the Ferrari 355 is gone. F430 is at 11 or 12 or something, Testarossa not far behind, heh.

Once we get down to say 10, are you going to start saying for example: "At number 10 with 30 points is blah blah"? So we can kind of get a feel as to where we are on the list.

Once we get down to say 10, are you going to start saying for example: "At number 10 with 30 points is blah blah"? So we can kind of get a feel as to where we are on the list.

Good idea, that'll build up the tension ;)

Lost the P4/5 (was I seriously the only person who voted for that?) and the McLaren F1 has fallen as well, although at least a few people seem to have considered it. I still have a couple left I think, which is good...over to you, teeb.

Loving the F1 and the Zonda especially! :wub (many others though.)

I still have 6 or 7 cars left! :D