Ownership Verified: Finally: 2001 Jaguar XKR coupe.

It's a little over 120k right now, and I'm taking another long road trip this weekend, so it'll keep climbing.

Just replaced the rather torn up leather and wood steering wheel with an all-leather one from an XJ8, and also got a pretty good armrest from that same parts car to replace the busted one in the XKR. The XJ8 armrest is a bit more padded than the XKR one and rubs up a bit against the seat, so hopefully it won't be noisy over time. Also it looks like my old busted steering wheel had an AEK (sable) color code according to the sticker inside, rather than the AGE (antelope) color that the AGD (oatmeal) interior is supposed to be paired with. Weird.

Finally got a vid of the new exhaust note (center muffler and rear resonator delete)
[video=youtube;QQ7-tbaTck4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ7-tbaTck4[/video]
Now need to hunt down an oil leak that makes it smell like something rubber is burning in the engine compartment; probably a valve cover gasket.

Labcoatguy;n3554444 said:
Finally got a vid of the new exhaust note (center muffler and rear resonator delete)
[video=youtube;QQ7-tbaTck4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ7-tbaTck4[/video]
Now need to hunt down an oil leak that makes it smell like something rubber is burning in the engine compartment; probably a valve cover gasket.

That sounds very nice :music:

Der Stig;n3554735 said:
Sounds great! I'll be sampling the XJR without rear silencers soon, we'll see if it's too droney for my tastes.

Yeah if you're just straight-piping the rears with just the center muffler it'll be really bad, even if it sounds great at WOT; that's what the car came with when I bought it. It'll need Magnaflows back there at a minimum.

Apparently I made it into a Cars and Coffee exhaust compilation video.
I just ordered a set of mandrel bends to make J-pipe resonators for my exhaust. Somehow Home Depot had them for much less than places like Summit Racing. With luck this will let me maintain this gnarly exhaust note while killing that 1500-2500 RPM drone

..... Home Depot sells automotive exhaust?

Yeah I was surprised too, but they have lots of car parts on their web site.

Oops I still haven't posted a proof pic; need to get that taken care of.

So the Petersen Automotive Museum is doing a virtual cars and coffee thing during this pandemic, and I cut together this little sequence of pictures and a startup video (in HD so open it in full screen). I'm annoyed that I'm not a good enough photographer to fully capture just how good this car looks in person.

Last edited:
Just finished redoing valve cover gaskets and put in a new supercharger belt. Once I get the AC compressor replaced it'll be as good as news. That is, with the exception of some cloudiness in the coolant that has me on edge. Are there any benign (e.g. non-head gasket) explanations for this? The oil cap doesn't have any residue, and it's not overheating as of right now.

It's always whack-a-mole with old cars, isn't it? Now the power steering is whining thanks to a leak, and hopefully I can bleed the fluid and top off the fluid without having to replace the pump. Oh and I also got the final exhaust delete taken care of; now it sounds like this.

Weirdly it now has the exact opposite exhaust setup from what I bought the car with: it came with the rear two resonators deleted, and after mixing and matching pieces from a stock system I bought from some dude, those are the only two resonators currently on the car, with the forward three deleted.

Bought a windshield mount and recorded this series of video clips of the exhaust. Sorry about all the background noise.

Reactions: lip
Coming from the owner of a frontrunner for coolest car of FG, I'll gladly take that compliment!

Reactions: lip