Ownership Verified: Finally got myself a German soft top

So Victor and I spend a good 3 hours wrenching around the TT today and all I can think after that is

The problem: I noticed that my drivers side footwell was getting wet the other day. Right under the pedals. Didn't know what to think, so I assumed something spilled and that it would dry up. By today, the carpet was totally soaked through and it was obvious that it wasn't a leak. Did some research and found out that the wet carpet is a symptom of a clogged rain drip tray drain tube.

The geniuses that Audi engineers are actually designed it in such a way that rain water flows into a special tray IN THE CABIN, from where it empties out through a tiny 5mm drain hole in the roof storage shelf. The hole connects to a rubber tube flowing through the fender and out in the wheel well. You would think that this is a problem exclusive to the TT Roadster. But nope, somehow the coupes are affected by the same issue.

So the solution? First we got it jacked up and onto 3 ton jack stands. Then we had to remove the rear wheels. Next came the wheel well shroud. When all that was off, came the fun part.

First the little tube pictured (not my pictures - I forgot to document the process) here had to be unclogged

Then once that was more or less cleared, I had to find the rain drip tray in the cabin. This took us about an hour and a half to do - if not more. Lots of arguing, putting the roof up, taking it down, flashlights, more arguing, etc. All the threads on ttforums had somewhat vague descriptions but no pictures. At one point I unfolded a wire coat hanger thinking I saw a piece of paper clogging it, but it turned out I was way off. When we did finally figure it out, I tried to run a compressor hose up to it, but the drain was in such a tight location that it was nearly impossible to bend my arm that way. Then with the hose finally in place and covered with paper towels, I hit it with a 100psi air stream. Crap and gunk went flying everywhere, but after a few more hits with the air stream, dead leaves and dirt started coming out of the wheel well drain! Hooray! Got that cleared. Moved to the otherside and had more dead leaves and even a twig fly out of that one.

Cars back together and on the ground now, but a lot of interior cleaning to do this weekend - mainly in my roof storage area.

Who seriously thought this was a good idea? And more-so, why is this also a problem in the coupe version of my car?

Or do other convertibles have similar problems?

Last edited:
Yes, that seems more fitting. We're now rolling up to our 3000 mile anniversary.

Also, the problems cometh!
Full description of my issue here - http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=288813

My dad's first VW (1998 model) had its thermostat fail.

My friend's Golf (1999 model) had a catastrophic thermostat failure - the whole thing popped out of the socket and literally all the coolant spilled out.

My dad's new (2007) VW needed its thermostat changed because it was throwing a CEL.

Another friend's 1992 VR6 would sit at the 70C mark for MILES.

So it would seem that what you are experiencing is normal. Welcome to VAG ownership!

So Victor and I spend a good 3 hours wrenching around the TT today and all I can think after that is

The problem: I noticed that my drivers side footwell was getting wet the other day. Right under the pedals. Didn't know what to think, so I assumed something spilled and that it would dry up. By today, the carpet was totally soaked through and it was obvious that it wasn't a leak. Did some research and found out that the wet carpet is a symptom of a clogged rain drip tray drain tube.

The geniuses that Audi engineers are actually designed it in such a way that rain water flows into a special tray IN THE CABIN, from where it empties out through a tiny 5mm drain hole in the roof storage shelf. The hole connects to a rubber tube flowing through the fender and out in the wheel well. You would think that this is a problem exclusive to the TT Roadster. But nope, somehow the coupes are affected by the same issue.

So the solution? First we got it jacked up and onto 3 ton jack stands. Then we had to remove the rear wheels. Next came the wheel well shroud. When all that was off, came the fun part.

First the little tube pictured (not my pictures - I forgot to document the process) here had to be unclogged

Then once that was more or less cleared, I had to find the rain drip tray in the cabin. This took us about an hour and a half to do - if not more. Lots of arguing, putting the roof up, taking it down, flashlights, more arguing, etc. All the threads on ttforums had somewhat vague descriptions but no pictures. At one point I unfolded a wire coat hanger thinking I saw a piece of paper clogging it, but it turned out I was way off. When we did finally figure it out, I tried to run a compressor hose up to it, but the drain was in such a tight location that it was nearly impossible to bend my arm that way. Then with the hose finally in place and covered with paper towels, I hit it with a 100psi air stream. Crap and gunk went flying everywhere, but after a few more hits with the air stream, dead leaves and dirt started coming out of the wheel well drain! Hooray! Got that cleared. Moved to the otherside and had more dead leaves and even a twig fly out of that one.

Cars back together and on the ground now, but a lot of interior cleaning to do this weekend - mainly in my roof storage area.

Who seriously thought this was a good idea? And more-so, why is this also a problem in the coupe version of my car?

Or do other convertibles have similar problems?

Good job! And seeing how fall is approaching, I anticipate that you will have to repeat the procedure in a couple of months :p

My dad's first VW (1998 model) had its thermostat fail.

My friend's Golf (1999 model) had a catastrophic thermostat failure - the whole thing popped out of the socket and literally all the coolant spilled out.

My dad's new (2007) VW needed its thermostat changed because it was throwing a CEL.

Another friend's 1992 VR6 would sit at the 70C mark for MILES.

So it would seem that what you are experiencing is normal. Welcome to VAG ownership!

Judging by the symptoms, I think it might be the coolant temp sensor. Thats a really common problem in the 8N TT. Also it takes about 20 minutes to replace, so I'll do that first if it gets really bad - as of right now, the problem seems to have more-or-less gone away [knock on wood].

Good job! And seeing how fall is approaching, I anticipate that you will have to repeat the procedure in a couple of months :p

Ford Mustang GT! I don't plan on doing anything major since I don't plan on owning the car that much longer. That and once I move to Michigan I won't have my parents' nice driveway and all my dad's nice tools to work with. I really would not like to repeat today's exercise in an apartment complex parking lot.

Last edited:
NA and NB Miata's have a bit similar system, but much easier to clean. There is a seal which pushes the hood against the body, but water that manages to leak through this seal goes into a tube called rain rail, where the top is also attached to. Anyway, the water flows from rain rail to vertical tubes right around where the B-pillars should be, and these tubes lead the water through chassis to the ground. These vertical tubes need cleaning maybe once or twice a year depending on where you park the garage (under a tree means lots of leaves and other stuff to clog them up). Luckily it only need strong metal wire (from coat hanger for example) and nothing needs to be dismantled.

I'd guess something similar is fitted to most cabrios.

Wow. And I thought that was just the Germans overcomplicating things. Guess not.

But the question still stands on why the TT Coupe suffers from this problem.

My previous Palio flooded once because I parked on an incline and it was raining.
All the dirt we removed from the tray could fill a small flowerpot. :lol:

Also

clogged rain drip tray drain tube

I am dying to know what is the German word for that. :mrgreen:

Wow. And I thought that was just the Germans overcomplicating things. Guess not.

But the question still stands on why the TT Coupe suffers from this problem.

Actually the drain tube itself is not overomplication. It's actually surprising Audi has decided to follow this route instead of something else, like a water pump. I mean, it's not a bad idea to admit that the seal between the body and the roof is going to start leaking at some point, so instead of making extremely complicated seal you just guide the water away. But the trick is to make this easy to clean without any tools, and that's where the Germans usually fail.

+rep to everyone.
:rofl:

Ffffuuuuuu.

Added a carpor to my apartment rent last night in anticipation of the Mustang (not to park under the sky in the winter). First night parking in it, and I come back to a note on my car saying "Sorry! + [phone number]" and this

Hz9gA.jpg

The timing couldn't be worse.
And needless to say I immediatly canceled my carport. I'd rather clean snow off my Mustang than park next to this person.

Last edited:
Bring treats to the guide dog, i'm sure it has a tough life.

The fuck? From front door over the wheel to front bumper? How do you does one do that in a "parking"-situation?

I know my car looks same from both ends, but thats the rear end. And I'm also at a loss as how this could've happened. When I parked last night the person wasn't there yet, and she (fair assumption?) was gone by the time I got out this morning so I have no idea what kind of car it was.

I think she didn't realize how the front end of her car would swing out while pulling out.

Last edited:
I know my car looks same from both ends, but thats the rear end.
:blink: :lol: my bad.

I think she didn't realize how the front end of her car would swing out while pulling out.
Yeah, but when you hit something you usally stop and don?t "pull through", rite? That does not look like she?s stopped ...