First car for a 18 year old teenager

Go for the Volvo S70/850 - you'll love it! :)

Seriously, if you are going to get a Volvo, make sure that the car has complete service history. Timing belt is the most crucial thing on these cars.
The other thing that usually fails, is the rear main seal (between the engine and the tranny). It is a costly fix, about $1000. You can live with it...but your car will leave small puddles of oil. Most Volvos suffer from this around the 100k mile mark.
Mine has it, but I'm not too worried about it. It doesn't leak that bad to justify a $1000 of repair.

thanks highvoltage and yes i wont say no to a nice jaaaaag.and i have also the kind of clothing that is needed for driving a merc or a jaaag

I've recently seen X300's at around the $5k mark. They're all XJ6's, but they're the desirable '95 on models. You just have to do some extensive sleuthing.

EDIT: Nomenclature faux pas. D'oh. I blame craiglist's idiotic users for incorrectly labeling their cars and subsequently confusing me :p

Last edited:
Er..... what?

X300/X305 = 95-97 XJ6, 95-96 XJ12

X308 = 98-03 XJ8.

Did Canukistan get VW Taro?

not we didnt got the vw taro, and so far, my choice are volvo s70, e30 bmw, 190e merc or w202 or a jaaaaaaaag.and with school starting next monday i might wait a bit befor e buying it and get more money so i could buy something even nicer.but even if i gather up more money i think those will be my choice.i might change the e30 bmw for a nice bmw wagon but that would be about it.

Last edited:
Get the Volvo.. he'll be more ashamed of driving it than willing to show off in it, which means it will stay in pristine condition.. :lol: ;)

YEah thats what i am feeling about my choice right now,i narrowed them down to 2 and its the mercedes 190e and the volvo s70 and well with the merc i will be more prone to show off with it than with the volvo

Sure about that? The Volvo can be quite a boring car, but you can turn it into a stylish swedish beast.
Get a red/black/silver Turbo one. Get one of the many different sets of cool Volvo rims, paint the grille black (most Volvo owners do that) and I guarantee you will get some attention.
This is a good example of a sweet S70:
med_gallery_9884_25_457059.jpg

med_gallery_9884_25_116299.jpg

If you're looking into anything European, be sure you have money for maintenance. The second you choose not to keep up to date with it, the car will suddenly develop massive problems out of sheer spite! You've been warned!

But seriously, I'd look at something Japanese, like a Impreza hatch, but that might be too cockish for you, so bleh!

If you're looking into anything European, be sure you have money for maintenance. The second you choose not to keep up to date with it, the car will suddenly develop massive problems out of sheer spite! You've been warned!

Truth has been spoken :)

I still say you can get a great old truck for 5k. Old trucks have one thing going for them, if you hit someone in their little euro-mobile, you won't feel it. :D

what is the point of having a truck if the cargo space will only be used about 1% of the time and it will be to haul my bikes.So no truck for me.

what is the point of having a truck if the cargo space will only be used about 1% of the time and it will be to haul my bikes.So no truck for me.

Then get a car/sedan with a tow bar and buy a trailer? Solved.

and thats what i am currently looking for.