First car for a 18 year old teenager

Erm...the Naturally Aspirated S70 isn't exactly a car for towing things. Even when you fill the car with four other people and you can feel that it becomes really slow.
A turbo would do better if you plan to tow things.

Check the manual first - many turbo cars cannot tow for various reasons.

You may be right there...especially for the automatic S70s...

you know top gear with their volvo box verdict from the last series isn't such non-sence, think, from what i know those volvos are bullet proof, big ( for carrying friends), cheap to buy and cheap to insure.

you know top gear with their volvo box verdict from the last series isn't such non-sence, think, from what i know those volvos are bullet proof, big ( for carrying friends getting ?cozy?), cheap to buy and cheap to insure.

FTFY :p

the problem is that my friend will also drive my car from time to time and my best friend cant drive manual so i am more looking at automatic than manual and also manual volvo are quite rare.

Teach him to drive a manual. Takes around 30 minutes.

Yes, it's not that hard. But as he said - it's pretty difficult to find a Volvo S70/850 with a manual gearbox.

one question, is there a big difference in price for piece for the volvo s70 and the merc 190e compared to any japanese econo box.

Are you talking about parts? Hoho...Volvo parts are pretty expensive, it's almost like you are getting a BMW. Things don't break often, but when they do - be ready to pay.
(to give you an example - a timing belt kit for a VW Golf is $166, a timing belt kit for a Volvo S70 is $330 or $550 if you want genuine Volvo parts)

And the Merc's parts are relatively inexpensive. More than the econoboxen parts, but the 190e is probably the cheapest of the 'luxury' Euro marques to operate in North America.

Erm...the Naturally Aspirated S70 isn't exactly a car for towing things. Even when you fill the car with four other people and you can feel that it becomes really slow.
A turbo would do better if you plan to tow things.

Why would you tow things quickly? Whats the speed limit for vehicles with trailers over there anyway? It's a doddle to tow stuff with a S70, it's got a massive 2.5 liter engine. The things you get to hear...

Why would you tow things quickly? Whats the speed limit for vehicles with trailers over there anyway? It's a doddle to tow stuff with a S70, it's got a massive 2.5 liter engine. The things you get to hear...

...and I'm sure it's not a problem with a manual gearbox :)
I'm not saying go fast, just accelerate at a reasonable rate. My 850, which has the same engine, with automatic gearbox accelarates 0-60 in 9.2 sec (according to the book and with an empty car). My observations are that it's more like 11 sec ;)
The torque range on the engine starts at about 2500-3000RPM. Before that there is nothing. With an automatic gearbox, which most North American Volvos have, you start at 1000RPM and have to wait a long time till the car gets to 2500RPM.

Last edited:
so the merc would be cheaper to repair than the volvo and the most important i must check when buying the car is a full service history which will be pretty hard to get here in quebec since not alot give a care about their even if we have quite a bad winter with alot of snow.

I'm reaffirming my position: go with the Merc. Even if it doesn't have much history, just make sure you test every button and function, bring a rag and look at the fluid levels, poke and prod things, walk around the car before and after the test drive and check for rust and frame damage. That's my set of guidlines.

On the 190e's, watch for rust under the wheel arches, in the trunk under the carpets, check the weatherstripping, check the aircon, electric windows and the defrost functions. Check to see that the dash is well illuminated when the lights are and that they all come on, finally, make sure the steering is tight and has no play. If you need some specific questions answered relating to costs or parts or anything, feel free to PM me.

I'm reaffirming my position: go with the Merc. Even if it doesn't have much history, just make sure you test every button and function, bring a rag and look at the fluid levels, poke and prod things, walk around the car before and after the test drive and check for rust and frame damage. That's my set of guidlines.

On the 190e's, watch for rust under the wheel arches, in the trunk under the carpets, check the weatherstripping, check the aircon, electric windows and the defrost functions. Check to see that the dash is well illuminated when the lights are and that they all come on, finally, make sure the steering is tight and has no play. If you need some specific questions answered relating to costs or parts or anything, feel free to PM me.

That reminds me, did you get that 450SLC?

thanks alot der stig and for the merc should i try to get a manual or i can just go look for a automatic and have no problem ?

Always try and find a manual if you can. They are more desirable and more enjoyable to drive.

Don't give up on the Volvo just yet.
I was in a very similar position as yours a few months ago. I travelled 250 miles to a dealership that had both a Volvo 850R and a Merc 190E. I was convinced I would buy one of the two. I didn't buy either because of their condition. The Merc was pretty bad, even though it only had 120k miles...

But, once you get in a Volvo S70, you wouldn't want to go in a 190E. They are completely different cars. Both designed for comfort and some performance, but let's face it - the 190E was designed in the 80's and the interior is bloody terrible. Compared to the Volvo that is.
The Volvo has one of the most comfortable seats in a car. Fact.
It has ABS, Traction Control (it's actually more like launch control), sunroof, 8-speaker stereo, powered heated seats, power windows, comfortable suspension, precise handling (yeah, yeah understeer...whatever).
You will spend a lot of time in a car - you want to feel good don't you? I thought I could see myself in the 190E, but once I sat in it...I just didn't. It felt all wrong.

That reminds me, did you get that 450SLC?

*sigh* Nope.

My parents thought it would be a good time to tell me that there was no place to store it. Pssshhhh...the Marriott would have been fine. But, next year, I'll have more money.

Back on topic:

A Merc with a manual should be better than an auto as you won't have to worry about it as much, but I only am familiar with the autos as they are the most plentiful. Just get the newest car you can to avoid too many problems. '92-'93 should be the best years.