First Car Insurance

RickB

Hi guys,

Love reading the posts on here and conversations about all the big powerful cars I dream of owning one day.

I passed my test last month (UK) and done pass plus (Also passed, which for non UKers is motorway/night driving which should lower your insurance premiums).

I am now looking for a car and have narrowed it down to a Fiat Punto and a Citroen C2. Reason being, I'm 6'3 and these have enough room for me whilst still being a cheap car from new and low insurance groups.

The problem is, I have been on a few of these online websites which give you quotes from a few insurance companies at a time. I decided to try for the basic model of the Citroen C2, with the lowest 1.1i model with alarm and immoboliser. I'm 19 and passed my test a month ago, so was expecting it to be high.... but ?2,700 a year for a 1.1 basic model? I live in a fairly high up area with some nice houses and all nice cars parked outside. I can't understand why it's so high, was wondering if any fellow UK young people have had same problems?

I'm worried slightly as as far as I am aware, the 1.1 is one of the lower engine sizes you can get, and the C2 model of this is suppose to be the bottom insurance group of 1.

my suggestion is to get a fiesta 1.1 like i did, get quoted on norwich union and elephant.co.uk they are best so far for starters

try to get you mum/dad insured as main driver and you as 2nd driver

with pass plus on fiesta 1.1 you should pay 950-1200, oh and get third party fire and teft only

after 1 year get whatever you want

I don't understand why the prices are so high in the UK, I did a check at my insurance company. Used your age and car (C2 1.1) 970 euro!

But for some reason insurance is cheap here, did another check; 2005 BMW M3, 19y, living in Milan, 1.981 euro, that is 1,336 GPB...

Not a very helpful post, but anyways... You might wanna consider emigrating...

VUK said:
DON'T

This is the best way not to get paid (or way less) if something happens. They'll find out that you lied.

Renesis said:
VUK said:
DON'T

This is the best way not to get paid (or way less) if something happens. They'll find out that you lied.

No they won't, if you crash it you just say you borrowed it from your mom of dad.

It's WAY and WAY and WAY cheaper to insure on your parents name, so who cares? Everybody does it!

:shock: US$413.82 a month...and here I thought paying $200 a month for my previous car was insane.

Previous car: I was 18, graduated high school, clean record (been driving for 2 years), 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix with the V-6 available for that model year.

Current car: I'm 21, full time college, 1 written warning, backed into someone in a parking lot under another insurance provider, 1987 Nissan Sentra 3-door with a 1.6L engine...it was $180 at first (they feel that although you didn't own the car when the policy term started, you should still pay for those months you weren't covered for). Currently, it's roughly $90 a month (I'm afraid to upgrade to a better working car or wagon for fear of having to pay double premium on that car...)

Jostyrostelli said:
Renesis said:
VUK said:
DON'T

No they won't, if you crash it you just say you borrowed it from your mom of dad.

It's WAY and WAY and WAY cheaper to insure on your parents name, so who cares? Everybody does it!

Dude, I work in Insurance, I know how it works, and it's quite easy to find out if we have doubts ;)

Renesis said:
Jostyrostelli said:
Renesis said:
VUK said:
DON'T

Dude, I work in Insurance, I know how it works, and it's quite easy to find out if we have doubts ;)

A friend of mine crashed his car on his dads name 2 times, never had any trouble, in total about 2.000 euros damage, something like that.

Oh and how do you wanna check if I am using my mom or dads car mostly, and it's actually mine?

VUK said:
my suggestion is to get a fiesta 1.1 like i did, get quoted on norwich union and elephant.co.uk they are best so far for starters

with pass plus on fiesta 1.1 you should pay 950-1200, oh and get third party fire and teft only

Maybe its me being stupid, but whats the difference between a Fiesta 1.1 and a C2 1.1. They both have same engine size, both same insurance group, so why is one so higher than other? I am sure desireability to potential thieves comes into it, but surely it cant hike the price up a further 1 grand?

I don't get your last sentence.

But I don't like my current situation (my father pays for my insurance so, it's his problem but still..)

Car 1: My father is main driver, mother 2nd
Car 2: Mother is main driver, father 2nd, me 3rd

but it's way too obvious that I'm driver #2.

RickB said:
VUK said:

Maybe its me being stupid, but whats the difference between a Fiesta 1.1 and a C2 1.1. They both have same engine size, both same insurance group, so why is one so higher than other? I am sure desireability to potential thieves comes into it, but surely it cant hike the price up a further 1 grand?

Normal "people" get to know car classes there?

wow..

Jostyrostelli said:

it is people like you, i presume you have your car in your parents name, that makes insurance so damn expensive for the honest ppl. Yes "everybody" does it, but that doesn't make it right. If you can't afford the insurance don't get the car!! :censored:

avanti said:
Jostyrostelli said:

it is people like you, i presume you have your car in your parents name, that makes insurance so damn expensive for the honest ppl. Yes "everybody" does it, but that doesn't make it right. If you can't afford the insurance don't get the car!! :censored:

Exactly. Without fraud, it would cost way less, and some classes of people wouldn't have to pay that much.

Just because "everyone" does it, or "your friend did it without problem" doesn't mean you should and that it'll work.

Jos, I'm dissapointed :thumbsdown:

avanti said:
Jostyrostelli said:

People like me? You don't know me, my car is on my moms name because I have to be 22 to have an oldtimer insurrance, which is 120 euro per year, so when I become 22 I pay it for myself. If I wanted to insure it on my name it would cost me around 600-800 euros per year, depends.

So please keep your flaming to yourself and don't jump to conclusions...

And Ren is dissapointed in me? :roll:

VUK said:

Was that 950 as Third party? Just done a quote for 1.1 '94 Fiesta and that comes out as ?2,300 on fully comp..... not good.

Renesis said:
avanti said:
Jostyrostelli said:

Exactly. Without fraud, it would cost way less, and some classes of people wouldn't have to pay that much.

Just because "everyone" does it, or "your friend did it without problem" doesn't mean you should and that it'll work.

Jos, I'm dissapointed :thumbsdown:

I don't know how it is with other groups or other nations, but so far State Farm and Geico won't let us try that trick (and we're not about to considering that it'd be a bit obvious if a 'secondary driver' got into an accident 400 miles away from home). Mainly what it the deal is, if you have something like three cars and three drivers, each driver will be considered 'primary' to one car (like my dad couldn't make himself primary on both his van and my car, they automatically set me as the primary on the car).

Renesis said:
VUK said:
DON'T

this is UK :D the car is not worth much, around 300$, here in UK cars are CHEAP and most are never repaired after accident

with the money you save you can buy exactly the same car or better

The systems with insurance only covering certain persons is total crap. It makes the system more complicated. Over here you need to insure your car for certain age groups (i.e under 21, under 25, under 28), these cost more which is normal, but there is no need to specify the driver of the car.
The UK's insurance system is useless in my eyes anyway, I know someone who had a small acident in a new Phantom it wasnt his fault, but he had to fly his older brother because of the stupid insurance system.

Jostyrostelli said:
People like me? You don't know me, my car is on my moms name because I have to be 22 to have an oldtimer insurrance, which is 120 euro per year, so when I become 22 I pay it for myself. If I wanted to insure it on my name it would cost me around 600-800 euros per year, depends.

So please keep your flaming to yourself and don't jump to conclusions...
I don't know you, but since you don't pay your own insurance I can say "people like you". Last year I paid 800 euros per for my motorcycle, it is not cheap but at least I can drive around with a clear conscience. And btw, how can a car that is owned and insured by your mom be "your car"?