First car you ever drove

1979 Oldsmobile diesel (forgot the model). It was my oldest brother's car and I was a whopping 13 years old. He cut me loose on a very tricky road called nine mile road near Cherry Point, North Carolina. I had zero throttle control and we were either doing 65 or 20 the entire nine miles... it was pretty scary!

My first manual car was an 87 VW turbo diesel... also my brother's car and when I was done with my lesson I pulled in the garage but slipped off the clutch too fast and damn near killed my sister in law when the car lurched forward pinning her between my bumper and a huge chest freezer!

Mahindra Jeep , a copy of the early Jeep, belonged to the driving school. A big rustbucket, terrible clutch, no powersteering, it was a diesel.

800px-Ford_Telstar_TX5_(first_generation)_(front),_Kuala_Lumpur.jpg

Except it was a sedan. For some reason, Ford Australia saw fit to avoid giving us the Sierra and instead take a Mazda 626 and smooth off the nose and the tail. Bloody heavy steering on the thing, though.

A white 95 Ford Taurus, actually wasn't as bad as you'd think and much better than the new 2003 Taurus I've driven. It had a better ride, more power, and handled better than the newer Taurus, I really don't see how Ford manage to fall so far back with a car.

1986 Buick Century wagon, although only at parking lot speeds as I was 14 at the time.

My dad's Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe. 1986 I think. Inline 4 with a turbo, I think about 240 HP or thereabouts. Manual. Technically I drove that before I got my permit. I didn't have the hang of the clutch so when I first set off (after I stalled) I spun the wheels lol.

My dad's Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe. 1986 I think. Inline 4 with a turbo, I think about 240 HP or thereabouts. Manual. Technically I drove that before I got my permit. I didn't have the hang of the clutch so when I first set off (after I stalled) I spun the wheels lol.

Argh. I worked so hard to forget about every "Thunderbird" made from 1970-1997.

That car handled BRILLIANTLY. I don't know what you're talking about. My school runs were AWESOME.

My issue isn't with the handling. It is with the fact that styling was the car's original strength and purpose, and from 1970 onward (until the retro bird) the car became incredibly generic and even ugly.

Of course it was generic. But it still had something.

86tbirdside.jpg

My dad's was white so it looked great with that little red stripe. It's not ugly and I quite like it. It looked better than the Mustangs of that era anyway:

rockside.JPG

Driving school car was a Merc A class, if that doesn't count then it was my sisters lousy VW Golf III I trained driving in.

Of course it was generic. But it still had something.

86tbirdside.jpg

My dad's was white so it looked great with that little red stripe. It's not ugly and I quite like it. It looked better than the Mustangs of that era anyway:

rockside.JPG

Still a far cry from a proper Thunderbird:
466739194xImgwv_fs.jpg

Saturn_L-Series-3.jpg

Yes sir, 2001 Saturn L300. Despite being heinously ugly, actually a solid car to drive.

My mom's 1988 Toyota Corolla LX. Boring to look at, but actually quite good to drive.

Saturn_L-Series-3.jpg

Yes sir, 2001 Saturn L300. Despite being heinously ugly, actually a solid car to drive.

In my opinion that generation of L-Series looks good, but I much prefer the 2003-2004 L300.

But then again, I'm biased towards Saturns :D