First car....

If you have no idea how a truly shit car handles, you haven't got the full driving experience. You don't need to know how it handles but it is nice to know that it doesn't matter how poor the car handles, you know how to extract the most out of it. To drive my dads R32 at an average 100 on this road near my house isn't difficult frankly because even if you enter to fast the car will behave its self nicely or understeer and its all very manageable. If you don't drive my car properly or enter corners to fast you will have a hardish time managing it. A shit car amplifies your mistakes in a way a good car doesn't which makes you a better driver since you stop making those mistakes.

oh dear me. I've never driven a POS bad handling car from the 70s~80s, I must be a terrible driver.

So when I'm throwing my 130i into a corner in 3rd gear with it's arse hanging out, while feeding in corrections to keep the car on the black stuff, I will have to remind myself that's not real driving skills. Cos I mean... the car was made in 2006~07, obviously too new and too competent. Yup, you're right... it's the car's work, not mine at all... even though all electronic aids had been switched off.

One day I might be able to buy a pre-WWII era RWD car with sketchy deadly handling characteristics. Maybe then I will know what real driving is all about. :rolleyes:

Driving skills are gained by the amount of times you push your self & the car to it's absolute limit. You must be smoking crack if you truly believe that by driving a piece of shit car will automatically make you a better driver.

It's like you wouldn't lose your virginity to a ming chic, just so that you can get enjoy the "full" experience, or would you? :lol:

^^lol want to borrow a flame suit?
I would too...prolly get them a nice safe car like an Audi or Volvo.

I say get whatever the fuck you want as your first car :D If you can afford the bloody thing, BUY IT!

The way how I see it is, I'd rather have my kids crash in an expensive and safe car, than to have them die in a shitbox with missing panels, crooked suspension and rusted chassis.
Besides, crashing is the best learning curve you will ever go through. (Not like I recommend it though)

But with a powerful car, you will learn to fear the power and respect the throttle pedal. Whereas in a POS car, chances are you will drive that thing WOT everywhere.. cos it prob only has about 80bhp, thus you need to give it full throttle just to get the thing to move. Hence you will never respect a throttle pedal, and when one day you get into a big, powerful RWD car.. you will want to floor that thing and prob end up killing yourself(cos you learnt how to drive like that). Had the situation been slightly difference and you are baptised with a 250~350bhp machine as your 1st car, you can prob jump into any similar performance car and drive the thing absolutely fucked.

Last edited:
I never said that, Its simply easier to drive a good car fast then it is a shit car and as a result, you learn quicker the proper technique. If you are hanging the ass out through a corner, some would argue you could have gone around that faster :). Good driving has nothing to do with your car and i doubt very much Jenson button would of been a worse driver had he been given an m5 for his first car. All i'm saying is it is more rewarding and a quicker learning experience to drive a shitcar then to drive a proper car, not that you can be a good driver if you don't drive a shit car.

I never said that, Its simply easier to drive a good car fast then it is a shit car and as a result, you learn quicker the proper technique. If you are hanging the ass out through a corner, some would argue you could have gone around that faster :). Good driving has nothing to do with your car and i doubt very much Jenson button would of been a worse driver had he been given an m5 for his first car. All i'm saying is it is more rewarding and a quicker learning experience to drive a shitcar then to drive a proper car, not that you can be a good driver if you don't drive a shit car.

My bad, just realised you were trying to explain Posmo's weird and twisted analogy of buying your 1st ideal car.

I'm also insured on my mums Laguna estate! The only FWD car that manages to drift epicly into any corner you approach at more than 30 miles an hour. Plus the brakes have no pads, the clutch is on the way out and it sounds like its fueled with rocks.

I've already had to test my skills when i nearly lost it! Came round a bend that was covered in mud and the back end kicked out, dab of oppo cured that though! Not what i want to be doing on my first day of driving mind you.

Good looking pics, especially the second one. I really like that rim and color combination, looks good.

I really do hate the new front end on the Clio. The one before that was so much better. :p But still a nice car.

And I really need to get out in the Kangoo and grab some pics :p Maybe with the new Volvo.

Just make sure that as soon as you have your licence, you "unlearn" the shuffle, because it's nothing but a danger and a nuisance. If you get a slide in a rwd or 4wd car (fwd you can just pin the throttle) you need to be able to put on opposite lock FAST, and straighten the wheel quickly afterwards. You can shuffle in the opposite lock (just), but you'll never be able to safely straighten the wheel unless you steer normally or use just one hand (like you would when driving a forklift). For accurate one hand steering you need to have power steering and a steering wheel that WON'T slip. Overall, the best way to turn the wheel is just turning is with 2 hands as you would normally.:)

I really don't think sliding is really going to be relevant... he's only just got his license! Unless your wild-out-of-control, all that's usually required to catch a slide is to back off on the throttle and the car regains control in my experiences. That said, you probably encounter far worse situations than I do! All said and done, that's why advanced driver courses are very useful. You don't need two hands without power steering... you're probably driving a crap car ;) My old hack Bluebird, along with whack wheel alignment is easy to drive with one hand without power steering.

Last edited:
Few pictures. Found a very quiet country road to go for a nice drive :)

nice car, and looks like a cool road as well

i've also driven over such cool weared out country roads when we were going to goodwood. did have to keep my mind though regarding oncomming traffic

there were 3 friends in the car, and one of them (they took turn), was constantly saying "keep to the left, keep to the left" :D

But with a powerful car, you will learn to fear the power and respect the throttle pedal. Whereas in a POS car, chances are you will drive that thing WOT everywhere.. cos it prob only has about 80bhp, thus you need to give it full throttle just to get the thing to move. Hence you will never respect a throttle pedal, and when one day you get into a big, powerful RWD car.. you will want to floor that thing and prob end up killing yourself(cos you learnt how to drive like that). Had the situation been slightly difference and you are baptised with a 250~350bhp machine as your 1st car, you can prob jump into any similar performance car and drive the thing absolutely fucked.

This^. My first car was a POS 200sx (fwd 105 hp version). Basically I had to hammer the throttle pretty much everywhere I went. Man I hated that car. That thing almost killed me twice and almost caused me to back into a Bentley in Hollywood. Anyways, I remember the day I bought my Camaro, I was taking a left turn when I mashed the throttle because I was about to go up a hill and I was use to my pos 200sx. The car's back end stepped out really far and I tried to compensate, but it was too much so I slammed on my brakes. After that happened, every night I would go up to an empty stretch of road and practice controlling my car. I essentially had to teach my self how to drive again, but then again I jumped up from a fwd 105 hp POS to a 360hp rwd muscle car. My car still scares me. I didn't think it was possible to spin my tires in 3rd gear at 45 mph.

Last edited:

this is sorta true, but in most EU countries, young + powerful car = insurance of death. So nobody is able to drive anything with 200+ hp unless they're old and wise enough to know what they're doing...

this is sorta true, but in most EU countries, young + powerful car = insurance of death. So nobody is able to drive anything with 200+ hp unless they're old and wise enough to know what they're doing...

Make that 100+hp.

Mines 128bhp and its a killer on insurance. Paying about ?4k a year for me as the main driver.

It would be the same price for a car of this power whether it was bought for ?50 or ?15000

I still can't believe how bad the insurance situation is over there.. I dread to think what you would have to pay in insurance for something like my car..