First DSLR

jakd

Hey, ive decided i really need to upgrade to a full on dslr from my minolta dimage 7i. What is the best dslr with a kit lens that i can get refurbished or used (is this a bad idea) for $350-$400?

Basically comes down to a Nikon D50 (or D40x if you're after used) and the Canon EOS Rebel 450D for entry level DSLRs.

I went with a Nikon D40x and I'm satisfied. I read that Nikon's take better pictures out of the box, but the Canon has more settings so those who know what they're doing can get slightly better pics out of the Canon.

There's lots of photography gurus on these here boards, I'm sure they can give you more in depth (and more accurate) info.

hmmm the d50 and 450d seem out of my price range. The only cameras i have found in my price range are the 300d and possibly the e-410.

The 300d is a bit old. Atleast get the 350d, or preferably the 400d. Both the 350d and 400d can get you a long way, and can basically produce the same quality pictures as the 30D/40D/450D.

Save a bit more and get something newer. A used Canon Rebel XT, XTi, or Nikon D50 are probably your best bets.

Alright, so it seems that buying a used camera is a really bad idea, i guess ill look only at refurbished with a warranty, the E-410 seems to be available for only 350 shipped refurbished on a 96% good rated seller on amazon with a one year warranty http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...4&sr=8-2&seller=&colid=&condition=refurbished. That price is below what a used one would cost on ebay so it worries me a little... is that a legitimate price for the camera? is that a reputable seller "cameta camera"? And is that what I think it is (an evolt e410 with a standard kit lens)?

Upside - never ever had any trouble with Amazon or its biz partners. Downside you can not go and "shout at 'em" when they cock up. I'd probably say go for it if price is your priority - if it was a biz tool then I'd get a reputable high street supplier.

D50 or D40 both very good starter DSLRs. I picked up my refurb'd D50 w/ kit lens for about $500 shipped to my door. It came with Nikon's usual warranty and it has been good to me for about a year now. Now, I'm starting to build my collection of lenses and thats where the money is needed.

I say this time and time again, but Nikon entry level SLR's are WAY better than Canons. I couldnt believe how cheap and nasty the Canons were when I first held one!

Of course, if you choose Nikon to start with then you'll most probably stay with them, so it comes down to who you'd rther go for :)

Buying a used camera is not a bad idea. That's how my friend got a $2000 canon for $400. Works like a charm.

Canon confusion cleared up:
Digital Rebel = 300d
Digital Rebel XT = 350d
Digital Rebel XTi = 400d
Digital Rebel XSi= 450d

XSi just came out so its expensive
XTi isn't that much better than the XT but riddled with bugs
XT isn't THAT much better than the original DR but it's right around the same in terms of price. Hence the reason I'm getting an XT next month.

I say this time and time again, but Nikon entry level SLR's are WAY better than Canons.

uhh... no
Some entry-level canons might feel cheap but otherwise they are pretty much the same. It's all down to which brand you prefer - I'm used to canons, so I'm sticking with them

I went with the refurbished E410 because it was the best deal that came with a reliable warranty and I really like he size of the 410. Thank you all for your advice and for steering me away from just blindly buying a used dslr on craigslist because that could have turned out bad.

I was gonna suggest a Sony if you've come from a Minolta film cam. You could have used your lenses/accessories and the learning curve would perhaps have been a little simpler. They are well priced new as well. But in any case, enjoy your new camera!

Easy learning curve would be nice but I don't have any extra lenses for the Minolta (dont even know if it accepts extra lenses-it isnt a dslr) and I hate sony.

ah yes, I see you said dImage, which isn't an SLR, right? In that case it's less worthwhile, and if you have a particular hatred of Sony, it's maybe best avoided! :)

Right, I was wondering this. If I wanted to upgrade from my current camera (Samsung L80), would it be worth it getting a basic DSLR, or get one of those 'fake' SLRs?

I would be using it to delve slightly further into photography, and also as my standard point and shoot camera. Just a question, as I am not planning on getting anything yet, but it would be nice to know what you guys think.