First Muslim congressman elected

Blayde

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'06 Honda Civic EXi, '11 Kia Sportage EX
Dunno if this is repeated, but i read it as todays story

_42289414_ellison203.jpg

Keith Ellison, a Democrat, has become the first Muslim to be elected to the US Congress by winning a Minnesota seat in the House of Representatives.

He overcame personal attacks emphasising his past association with Louis Farrakhan, leader of the radical Nation of Islam group.

The 43-year-old lawyer sought to downplay his religion and ran on a populist platform.

He has called for the immediate withdrawal of US troops from Iraq.

On the campaign trail, he also urged a greater reliance on renewable fuels and the establishment of a government-funded universal healthcare system.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6127234.stm

Good for him. :)

I've got to say, "uh, so fucking what" to this. It's not like every politician here is christian.

It matters to quite a few people.

But he belongs to the Nation of Islam... not exactly Islam as you think of Middle Easterners practicing it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20070102/cm_usatoday/uglyvoicestarnishdebutofcongressfirstmuslim

Ellison upped the chance to polish America's image for religious tolerance, as well, when he said he'd use Islam's holy book, the Quran, at his ceremonial swearing-in this week.

That's when the chance to shine was tarnished by a few ugly voices. The loudest belongs to Rep. Virgil Goode (news, bio, voting record), R-Va., who used the occasion to take a crude swipe not only at Ellison and the Quran, but at all Muslims.

In a letter to a constituent that later leaked out publicly and reeks with bigotry, Goode railed that "if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the" Quran. Goode expressed "fear" that in the next century "we will have many more Muslims" in the USA....

Oh boo hoo, more Muslims and more immigrants. How do these ignoramuses still hold official positions in this day and age?

what a load of crap, we shouldn't be saying congratulations a muslim is now a congressmen we should be saying congratulations you've done a good job at then end their term if they've done a good job.

Your a very down person aren't you? Seems that you always post bad news, never good. Much like the press these days. Always reporting the bad in the world, never the good. Try to be balanced and perhaps your outlook on life would change. Not always "America did this or that" because if you wanted to you could find bad news about the various European countries but you always focus in the US. Why is that?

You really should stay out of the political discussion area, clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

That's what everyone says. Truth is, there are no winners in politics, only losers.

That's what everyone says. Truth is, there are no winners in politics, only losers.

I was referring specifically to his desire for rosy threads full of hope and optimism, and his erroneous summation of my character and previous posts/threads on this forum.

You really should stay out of the political discussion area, clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

I could say the same about you but it will get us nowhere. Lets just say I will be sticking around. ;)

I could say the same about you but it will get us nowhere. Lets just say I will be sticking around. ;)

No, you can't. Clearly you didn't read the post right above...

:rolleyes:

So stop pretending to know me and don't try to paint me as being "anti-american"....because if I were, I wouldn't live in this country.

No, you can't. Clearly you didn't read the post right above...

:rolleyes:

So stop pretending to know me and don't try to paint me as being "anti-american"....because if I were, I wouldn't live in this country.

I always wondered, what's with your avatar? You may be giving some people the wrong impression when you decide on using somebody like Che Guevara to show up every time you post.

I use the avatar in conjunction with pictures of Ho Chi Minh, Tupac, Marcos, and Malcolm X (used to be in my sig. Been too lazy to change it back). Anyway, they are symbols of revolution (which I believe in, whether it be violent or non-violent). And it's through revolution that a number of issues facing the world today can be solved.

*Edit*

Alright, returned to my old sig. You'll never believe how many PMs I got requesting Vicki's private home video (Which of course doesn't even exist)

Last edited:
Alright, returned to my old sig. You'll never believe how many PMs I got requesting Vicki's private home video (Which of course doesn't even exist)

I was actually going to PM you and ask you WTF it meant, :lol:. People actually believed it was real?

Well, this has been taken care of.

Congressman to be sworn in using Quran

WASHINGTON - Rep.-elect Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress, will use a Quran once owned by Thomas Jefferson during his ceremonial swearing-in Thursday.

The chief of the Library of Congress' rare book and special collections division, Mark Dimunation, will walk the Quran across the street to the Capitol and then walk it back after the ceremony.

Ellison, D-Minn., contacted the library about the book last month, Dimunation said.

Some critics have argued that only a Bible should be used for the swearing-in. Last month, Virginia Rep. Virgil Goode (news, bio, voting record), R-Va., warned that unless immigration is tightened, "many more Muslims" will be elected and follow Ellison's lead. Ellison was born in Detroit and converted to Islam in college.

Ellison spokesman Rick Jauert said the new congressman "wants this to be a special day, and using Thomas Jefferson's Quran makes it even more special."

"Jefferson's Quran dates religious tolerance to the founders of our country," he added.

An English translation of the Arabic, it was published in 1764 in London, a later printing of one originally published in 1734.

"This is considered the text that shaped Europe's understanding of the Quran," Dimunation said.

It was acquired in 1815 as part of a 6,400-volume collection that Jefferson sold for $24,000, to replace the congressional library that had been burned by British troops the year before, in the War of 1812.

"It was a real bargain," Dimunation said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070103/ap_on_go_co/ellison_quran