First PSN, now Codemasters...

vikiradTG2007

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Working on it
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/10/codemasters-website-store-and-database-hacked/

Another day, another game publisher in a hacker's crosshairs. This time around it's Codemasters, and Eurogamer has the details on a security violation that compromised the company's website, EStore, CodeM database, and Dirt3 VIP code redemption webpage. The intrusion occurred on June 3rd, and Codemasters has sent out a letter to affected customers advising of the potential threat to their identity-related information.

The article reports that no payment details or credit card info was pilfered, but encrypted passwords as well as Xbox Live gamer tags and personal data (including addresses and user names) were taken. Thus far no groups or individuals have claimed responsibility for the attack. You can read the full Codemasters letter at Eurogamer.

And the letter:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-10-codemasters-was-hacked-data-stolen

Alarming. (For the record, no, I haven't got an account there)

All I ever did was redeem a code for DiRT 3. Sucks though that these companies are getting hacked. Absolutely ridiculous.

Why gaming companies though? It doesn't really make sense.

It's karma.

They are getting what they deserve for releasing deliberately unfinished games, and then make people pay extra for stuff that should have been in the original release to begin with.

It's karma.

They are getting what they deserve for releasing deliberately unfinished games, and then make people pay extra for stuff that should have been in the original release to begin with.

if thats true then they should be turning their attention to Activision and EA who have frequently been guilty of that. Especially Activision, in fact i'd pay money for that to happen. just so it can wipe the smug smile of that dick Kotick's face.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.

They hacked Sony because Sony decided to sue geohot for jailbreaking a Playstation 3 that he owned and had paid for. They hacked Codemasters because they apparently like to go after people who upload their games onto filesharing services.

It's not just the entertainment industry either, everyone is getting hacked these days. They even hacked into the website of the political party in power here in Canada and posted a press release about the Prime Minister choking on a hash brown and being rushed to hospital (sad that this one was a hoax).

I guess I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty good memory. I admit to using the same password for non-important sites such as youtube (where I have no videos anyways) and forums such as here.

For banks, emails, and things related to money (paypal, newegg), I have a different password for each one containing upper/lower case, symbols (when allowed) and numbers all at max length.

And its not just a string of numbers followed by a string of letters then a string of symbols etc. my pass to my email for example goes numbers, symbols, numbers, letters, numbers, letters, symbols, letters, symbols.

Helps to be a bit paranoid too. >.>

I'm not that upset about it, like I said these targets are far from innocent.

Of course, if my credit card/personal information was on any of these services too I'd probably be singing a different tune.

looks like its Bethesda Games turn now.

Over the past weekend, a hacker group attempted an unlawful intrusion of our websites to gain access to data. We believe we have taken appropriate action to protect our data against these attacks. While no personal financial information or credit card data was obtained, the hackers may have gained access to some user names, email addresses, and/or passwords. As a precaution, we recommend that all our fans immediately change passwords on all our sites ? including our community forums, statistics site for Brink, and here on the blog.

If your username/email address/password is similar to what you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. As we don?t know what further plans the hackers may have, we suggest that you keep an eye out for suspicious emails and account activity.

We regret any inconvenience that these attacks on us cause for you. These attacks will be evaluated to determine if there are any additional protections we might take that would be prudent.

Source

What the hell has Sega done to anyone? At least hack someone that deserves to be hacked, Activision for example.