News: First Toyota GT86 rolls off production line

Verrrrrrrrry excited. Thanks for posting those. Didn't notice the "T" in the dash before. The dancing Toyota girls was cute too.

... and we get it here as a bloody Scion (FR-S, to be precise). Boo, Toyota, boo.

Do you really think there's enough Toyota brand cache for it to be worth it to be one here?
Good point, but I thought part of the very raison d'etre of this car was to give re-invigorate the Toyota brand worldwide. Branding the car a Scion isn't going to help, IMO, with the general public's perception of Toyota itself.

No probs for post! Glad you caught the girls too!
Oops on the FR-S I feel quite ashamed :(
No need for that. You shouldn't be expected to know how a car is being marketed halfway around world.

Scions are suppose to be the exciting Toyotas. They have failed with that. This car doesn't look like it will be bought by the average octogenarian Scion buyer.

What's wrong with that? :dunno:
Call it a personal bias. Toyota only drummed up the Scion brand to try and move some of their Japanese metal and make it seem "cool". They failed completely (in regards to the age demographic of the average Scion owner). This will not be bought by the "average" Scion owner, and many others will probably look to the Subaru variant as a result. (I admit, though, if I were in the market, I'd get the Scion begrudgingly, then rip off all the badges and replace it with Toyota ones).

This is a Toyota. Sell it as one.

Scions are suppose to be the exciting Toyotas. They have failed with that. This car doesn't look like it will be bought by the average octogenarian Scion buyer.
Exactamundo.

I agree, though it would probably save some on insurance if it was a Toyota.

Apparently I missed this dancing Toyota girls? Also, I do like the idea that some inspiration came from the 2000GT.

I'm here for the fappage.

BRZ or FR-S, really. Don't care that much.

Bringing it to the US as a Toyota would've been rather dumb. Scions are their sporty/sports cars, so a Scion this will be, like it or not. It makes sense from te marketing perspective.

Toyota (the brand) only sells Camrys and other boring cars.

Bringing it to the US as a Toyota would've been rather dumb. Scions are their sporty/sports cars, so a Scion this will be, like it or not. It makes sense from te marketing perspective.
If only that were true. The entire Scion lineup doesn't have anything until now that I would consider sporty. The xA and xD are basically a expensive version of the Yaris. The xB may be functional but being tall and thin is not what I'd want from a sports car. The iQ, neat city car but zero sporting credentials like the others. The tC, that's an Avensis coupe, while its been the closest thing to a sports car for Toyota since 2005. Compared to the final 7th gen Celica the tC was heavy, bloated and slower. The only advantage of going tC over even a standard Celica GT is that the tC was cheaper, but if you wanted the more sporty car the Celica is superior especially if you got the GT-S. Yes the tC had a supercharger available, but its bloody expensive(thanks to it being TRD) and the gains are not impressive.

Scion always positioned itself as the youth brand, the problem is this hasn't been successful financially so they're desperate to try and insert "sporty" to prevent it from being a failure like Saturn which Scion's structure was modeled after. I don't disagree with the image perception problem Toyota has, I actually agree but only because Toyota has done such a horrible job at promoting itself with regards to motorsports. Toyota touts the NASCAR Camry even though no Camry ever made is even remotely close to what NASCAR uses and therefore nobody relates the two. They also made a big deal about F1, but the Toyota F1 team was famous for big spending...and still losing. They've never made a big deal about the WRC despite the Celica GT-Four winning twice and the WRC Corolla winning once. Toyota had always done well during the Dakar rallies before their WRC bid with Celicas and even MR2s. The Supra did well in the Super GT races, yet its fame comes strictly from Fast n' Furious...nothing to do with Toyota advertising. So yeah, Toyota deserves its brand perception because its done so poorly marketing their sports products. Everybody else has done a much better job including small fries like Suzuki.

I find Scions quite sporty in intent, which is what matters most when sales are concerned.

Enthusiasts will by the 86 regardless of the badge, because to us it's the test drive that'll matter the most. The real $ will come from those buying the car for fashion, and the Toyota badge would be rather harmful to that.

Rehabilitating the Toyota brand perception would require far more than the 86. At the very least they'd need a big dog (Supra) as well, and would do well to consider making RWD saloons based on Lexus IS and GS models. In the end I don't feel it would be a wise business decision. Probably better to attempt to (re)position Scion.

Well, hopefully this goes well and their next model has a badge on it that says Celica Supra Turbo.

I find Scions quite sporty in intent, which is what matters most when sales are concerned.

Enthusiasts will by the 86 regardless of the badge, because to us it's the test drive that'll matter the most. The real $ will come from those buying the car for fashion, and the Toyota badge would be rather harmful to that.

Rehabilitating the Toyota brand perception would require far more than the 86. At the very least they'd need a big dog (Supra) as well, and would do well to consider making RWD saloons based on Lexus IS and GS models. In the end I don't feel it would be a wise business decision. Probably better to attempt to (re)position Scion.
I don't buy into that. Otherwise, why is Toyota branding it as such for the rest of the world? It's the same as I how I feel about other marques that do the same nonsense.I hate that us N. Americans are given this "special" treatment, because we can't seem to conceive of a brand having a broad range of products.

Besides, the Scion brand already failed in its mission. Its demographic is so nearly the same as that of its parent company, despite all the marketing hoo-ha over the past 8 or so years.