First Trial of a Commissioned Officer Who Refused to Deploy to Iraq

nomix

True Viking
Car(s)
Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
Actually there were more reasons to go to Iraq than to go to Grenada or Panama.

I will probably be branded a leftist commie softie for this (which I am not): Oil and strategic power.

Iraq never posed a threat to the United States of America. Saddam was a sob, let's call a shuvel a shuvel, but so is the leadership in Saudi Arabia, so is many of the dictators the US supports, as long as they're not too red, and follow orders.

I won't start mentioning all the bad stuff America has done, that's an outdated argument, and just plain silly. But "Operation Iraqi freedom" was not about Iraqi freedom, it was about oil. And fear.

About the Nurnburg process, it's relevant. A officer or a soldier can not obey an order he or she deems illegal.

But of course, the order will not be deemed illegal by court. The victor writes history, that's why we read in our school books about the blitz, but not about our terror bombing of German cities. The victor in this case, is the US Military. Sort of.

Will be interesting to see how much time will go until we find the middle east in a whole scale war. Very interesting indeed.

Firecat

Politically Charged
The judge in the case against the first U.S. officer court-martialed for refusing to ship out for Iraq barred several experts in international and constitutional law from testifying Monday about the legality of the war.

As his court-martial got under way, military judge Lt. Col. John Head refused to allow almost all defense witnesses to take the stand. Head previously ruled that Watada's attorney, Eric Seitz, could not debate the legality of the Iraq war in court.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070205/ap_on_re_us/war_objector

:rolleyes:

KaJuN

Disco Inferno
Car(s)
Mini Cooper S, Landy Series III, Vulcan 900 Custom
Wow this is going to be a really fair trial.

Seriously, is it even legal to wipe out the guy's entire defense? (I really have no idea how military trials work.)

un-dee

I hate your sig!
Car(s)
Golf IV 2.0
It's a duty of being in the military to carry out orders. But it's also a duty to question orders that seem unjust.

No it isn't. I don't know exactly how it is in the US, but here it is that you are not allowed to follow orders that are a crime according to German Law. That does not cover International Law, and I am pretty sure it is similar in the United States.
You have to follow all other orders, and by joining the armed forces you should be aware of that.