Months 0.90
Years 0.074

Flights
Total number of flights 134
Domestic 22
Intra-continental w/o domestic 37
Intercontinental 44
Other flights 31

Longest Flight (Distance): 7,936 mi, 14:41 h, Melbourne (Tullamarine) - Los Angeles (International), 19.12.2015
Longest Flight (Duration): 14:41 h, 7,936 mi, Melbourne (Tullamarine) - Los Angeles (International), 19.12.2015
Shortest Flight: 171 mi, 0:48 h, Gaspe - Baie Comeau, 03.06.1996
Average per Flight: 2,413 mi, 4:49 h

Total Airports 40
Total Airlines 15
Total Aircraft type 26
Total Routes 89
Total Countries 19

:cool:

Here goes:

Flight Distances
1,004,679 km or 624,279 mi
Earth Circumnavigation: 25.07 x ? Distance to the Moon: 2.614 x ? Distance to the Sun: 0.0067 x

Flight Time
1389:29 hours or 57.9 days or 8.3 weeks or 1.93 months or 0.159 years

Flights
All: 383 ? Domestic (in Germany): 34 ? Intra-Continental (in Europe): 137 ? Intercontinental (to/from Europe): 104 ? Other flights: 108

"Record" Flights
Longest Flight (distance): 11.993 km, 13:49 h, Dubai (International) - Brisbane (International)
Longest Flight (duration): 14:09 h, 11.516 km, Frankfurt (Rhein-Main) - Buenos Aires (Ezeiza - Ministro Pistarini)
Shortest Flight (distance): 0 km, 0:21 h, Amsterdam (Schiphol) - Amsterdam (Schiphol)
Shortest Flight (duration): 0:10 h, 39 km, Guernsey - Jersey
Fastest Flight: 978 km/h, 6.978 km, 7:08 h, Chicago (O'Hare) - Frankfurt (Rhein-Main)
Slowest Flight: 0 km/h, 0 km, 0:47 h, Teheran (Imam Khomeini International) - Teheran (Imam Khomeini International)
Average Flight: 2.623 km, 3:38 h

Additional Data
146 airports ? 81 airlines ? 73 aircraft types (includes certain subtypes) ? 308 known individual aircraft ? 301 routes ? 35 countries

I think I've been in a flying plane 18 times in the past 21 years. That's 18 times more often than I've liked.

I have flown twice, a bit less than two thousand miles. Then two other times on helicopters. Not a big fan of the commercial flying experience. If I need to go across the ocean, I will fly, but I doubt I will like it.

I hate the thought of cruise ships even more.

With me, it's as much about the destinations as it is about the actual flying. I'm still fascinated by the fact that a couple hundred tons of metal, CFRP and fuel can take a couple hundred people, and their things plus cargo from one continent to another in just a few hours. Only a hundred years ago, those trips took days or even weeks and if you weren't lucky, you ended up floating in the midde of the ocean and then appearing in a movie script 85 years on. Today, you can leave Chicago at sunset and get to Frankfurt by the time it rises.

As for destinations, it's a bit like road-tripping, only in the air. If you hunt for uncommon little planes that take you to little-known places, you can easily get rewarded with discoveries such as gorgeous landscapes, fantastic museums and, well, quite a few nice drinks, too. :D The fleeting acquaintances, that sort of bond between some travellers, can also be special... and I don't mean the Mile High Club.

I'm still fascinated by the fact that a couple hundred tons of metal, CFRP and fuel can take a couple hundred people, and their things plus cargo from one continent to another in just a few hours. Only a hundred years ago, those trips took days or even weeks and if you weren't lucky, you ended up floating in the midde of the ocean and then appearing in a movie script 85 years on. Today, you can leave Chicago at sunset and get to Frankfurt by the time it rises.

That part fascinates me too, I just don't like the take off and landing bit, and if there is the slightest turbulence, might have something to do with me being extremely afraid of heights (near anxiety) and I get all forms of motion sickness :puke::thumbsdown:

yesterday we didn't feel like cooking, and picked something up at a caterer...
for 11?!!! you can't go to a store, and get ingredients for a fresh meal for 2 persons for that amount!
it's cheaper to have you food made, than to do it yourself :bangin:

With me, it's as much about the destinations as it is about the actual flying. I'm still fascinated by the fact that a couple hundred tons of metal, CFRP and fuel can take a couple hundred people, and their things plus cargo from one continent to another in just a few hours. Only a hundred years ago, those trips took days or even weeks and if you weren't lucky, you ended up floating in the midde of the ocean and then appearing in a movie script 85 years on. Today, you can leave Chicago at sunset and get to Frankfurt by the time it rises.

As for destinations, it's a bit like road-tripping, only in the air. If you hunt for uncommon little planes that take you to little-known places, you can easily get rewarded with discoveries such as gorgeous landscapes, fantastic museums and, well, quite a few nice drinks, too. :D The fleeting acquaintances, that sort of bond between some travellers, can also be special... and I don't mean the Mile High Club.

I like planes too, but unless I am going a long distance, it just makes sense to drive. There are exceptions that crop up from time to time though.

I did have a longer response to this, but had a system reset or update that lost it all and can't be arsed to do it all again.

A package CraigB is trying to send me is getting lots of flying time:

:bangin:

You're talking about the Pile High Club.

:D

I get all of that, I get that you get to some amazing places, with some very good airlines I bet, I get the fascination with the technical side of flying to, it's indeed amazing that you can start your day waking up in your own bed, and go to sleep on the other side of the world after having one to many weird beers that same day.

But the vast mayority of flying? The side of air travel most people experience in their life? The hopping on a crapair flight to the South/North of Europe on holiday with the rest of the cattle, or a commuter flight for the Americans, the 'experience' passing through the average airport and getting threated like human garbage by people who should just be taken out back and shot, the fact that every flight has either screaming kids, obnoxious people talking loudly enough for the entire plane, that smelly fat bloke that won't shut up next to you, or a combination of all of that, make 'average' flying a pure, uncut, utter miserable experience for most people, including me, the fact I'm big and tall does not help, but that's personal.

Last edited:
A package CraigB is trying to send me is getting lots of flying time:

:bangin:

Why did it get sent back to Chicago??? I is confused!

The crappy wi-fi here is making me use data on my phone (=expensive) just to check up on you guys :p luckily I'll be back home tomorrow :)

Why did it get sent back to Chicago??? I is confused!

I have no idea. And the fact that it's somewhere in Australia as of a week ago, and not yet here. Sydney is only 3hrs up the road. Even if it landed in Perth, it would have been here by road already (being the slowest form of delivery apart from USPS apparently)

US postal service's tracking is fucked up. It doesn't update right sometimes. I've had minute differences between cross country cities on stuff.

Anyways, back to flight data!

84 flights
78 domestic
6 international

136 189 km
84 624 miles
3.4x around earth

208 h 14 min
8.7 days
1.2 weeks

That's since 2013.

I get all of that, I get that you get to some amazing places, with some very good airlines I bet
Keyword highlighted. ;-) For every Tehran, there's a Tricase and there's also a bunch of Clevelands, Grand Rapidses and Columbuses. It ain't all that glamorous most of the time. For instance, the penultimate time I crossed the pond was on WOW air. Not that they were crappy, but I did get what my company had paid for: not a whole lot.

But the vast mayority of flying? The side of air travel most people experience in their life? The hopping on a crapair flight to the South/North of Europe on holiday with the rest of the cattle, or a commuter flight for the Americans, the 'experience' passing through the average airport and getting threated like human garbage by people who should just be taken out back and shot, the fact that every flight has either screaming kids, obnoxious people talking loudly enough for the entire plane, that smelly fat bloke that won't shut up next to you, or a combination of all of that, make 'average' flying a pure, uncut, utter miserable experience for most people, including me, the fact I'm big and tall does not help, but that's personal.
I do go through all of that, though admittedly with a few shortcuts here and there. But rest assured that I turn strictly right upon boarding an airplane, i.e. I travel in cattle class just like everyone else. It's still not a miserable experience, though, because in my view, the positives usually outweigh the negatives... even though, like you, I'm tall. :D

At the start of that crapair holiday flight you mentioned, there's still the amazing feeling of speed and power as the engines accelerate me and everyone else to the point where we get to fly through the air. During the flight, there are views (I always try to get a window seat) of places, the sky, amazing cloud formations, stars, sunsets and so much more. And then, after it ends, you get to discover and explore, try food you don't yet know, perhaps hear a curious language and maybe even have a few chats with locals.