First World Problems thread

Another bike related first world problem: you can order the Canyon Endurace CF again (the CF SL is phased out, the difference to the CF was just integrated vs. traditional handlebars, now the CF has integrated handlebars), it's looking extremely sleek, but as the aforementioned bike leasing scheme just started and the bike I ordered (it is a Ten07 Unicorn in yellow with SRAM AXS shifting, dropbars and hubs anodized in red) will arrive soon™ I would have two new bikes within a couple of weeks of each other. Even though I could afford the linked Endurace CF 7 AXS it's soooo unnecessary, especially now that the weather declines towards winter...

Well, I didn't order the Endurace CF, instead I ordered a Grizl CF SL 7 eTap 1 1/2 weeks ago. This means that now the chains and brakepads for my current Shimano equipped gravelbike I ordered two weeks ago are useless for me since I'm planning on selling my current gravelbike soon™. At least I can return the unused chains and brakepads, but I try to avoid returning items since I don't want to cause unnecessary transport ways...

It seems I'm having a conversation with myself - oh well...

I've ordered said bike pretty much exactly two weeks ago, Canyon handed it over to DHL on Saturday, December 2nd. Up until last night the status of "hey, Canyon handed it over to us" didn't change. Today I have a home office day so of course DHL sent me a notice that it should arrive today - at work since I rarely use home office days (by choice). This means I won't pick it up until tomorrow when I'm at work again...

Your guess is as good as mine... :dunno:

That said, since my current gravel bike isn't falling apart, the Grizl is just n+1 so it's no big deal that it took DHL so long to process.

[edit]
Well, OK, new first world problem: I have received two new bikes within two weeks so I don't know which one to take on my various rides... :eek:
[/edit]

Last edited:
We all know about cultural differences, etc. and navigating bureaucracy, but lately I've been thinking about something that I rarely (if ever) seen discussed: adapting to a new climate.
For example: I moved from Brazil to Portugal, but apart from 1-2ºC colder winters and the higher old people density, it's pretty much the same. Houses with no insulation, hot summers and wet winters. Recently I spent a few days in the Netherlands, with temperatures that were not even subzero, and it was obvious that my clothes and shoes are completely inadequate for colder climates.
But what if I ever succeed to move to Finland, as it was my initial goal? What if I end up in Oulu, which is a real possibility? Do I ask for a Finnish friend to go shopping with me? Does the Finnish government has a welcome package for foreigners?

We don't have a Welcome package, but someone will go shopping with you...

A German answering a Brazilian's question currently living in Portugal regarding moving to Finland - that's meta... :ninja:

Yes, of course I know you did move to Finland, still...

I don’t have that much experience with super cold weather (but did have to stand around for a few hours in -8 recently), but my advice is : layers.

2 sweaters, 2 pairs of socks, long underpants, etc all help.

Also now they have coats with built in heating (off a battery pack).

YMMV obviously, so consult a Finnish person before continuing to be sure

I've bought extra warm boots, gloves and a winter coat just for IceTrackMeets. And it was worth it, even if I only wore them during like two weeks in total over the course of four years. The stuff is just too warm for the barely freezing temperatures we get here.

A German answering a Brazilian's question currently living in Portugal regarding moving to Finland - that's meta... :ninja:

This is why I love this community

We don't have a Welcome package, but someone will go shopping with you...

Only if we end our shopping with you saying "no homo, but you look good" :razz:

This doesn't even surprise me anymore. ^_^

This is why I love this community

Definitely.

@NooDle I know layers are the answer, but I lack the ability to read the forecast before going out and knowing what to wear.
I can do that when temperatures are between 4ºC and 45ºC, but below, I have no fucking clue. :oops:
What's the diffence between -5ºC and -20ºC, regarding clothing? Probably comes with experience.

From what I gather (Finns and Swedes, Norwegians, back me up), the difference between not having proper clothes at -5 and -20 is like the difference between ‘Im cold and shivering and it will take a long hot shower for me to heat up’ and ‘ a trip to the hospital and/or morgue may be required’

At that temperature, just stay in!

Be an ogre. They’re like onions.

@NooDle I know layers are the answer, but I lack the ability to read the forecast before going out and knowing what to wear.
I can do that when temperatures are between 4ºC and 45ºC, but below, I have no fucking clue. :oops:
What's the diffence between -5ºC and -20ºC, regarding clothing? Probably comes with experience

While I'm an outlier when it comes to dressing for weather, a good underlayer is almost all you need to scale for lower temperatures (and thicker gloves). But it's mainly just acclimatisation. Few days of these -25C or so temperatures and suddenly nobody has any issues with like -10C, which was like death before that.

Greetings from someone plowing the yard open in a t-shirt at like -17C :cool:

IMG_3891.jpeg