First World Problems thread

I've been calling my mum by her given name for many years. I think for many people getting to that stage where both parent and child alike are comfortable with that is an indicator that the child is now also an adult and an equal.

I have never bought into that school of thought that says someone deserves greater respect and deference simply because they are older - once you are a proper adult, and by that I mean you've achieved a certain sense of maturity rather than simply being an adult in the eyes of the law, then I consider one has achieved parity with other grown-ups regardless of age and respect is dependent on an individual's behaviour and demeanour rather than the numbers on their birth certificate.

Also: by that logic I should not be calling my girlfriend by her first name (seeing add she is special to me), but rather something else, yes? I am one of those people who instantly detests others that call their SO some clich?d term of endearment bullshit, especially in public... I only do stuff like this in an entirely and offensively over the top ironic way, but I don't think that quite fits what you're after :p

Should I demand that people include my full academic title* every time they say my name?

*which is longer than my actual name, btw.

I've always called my parents by their first names, never mama or papa or anything of the sort.

Same here, I have never called my parents mom or dad, it would feel weird to me, I call them 'my mom' or 'my dad' when speaking of them. I have been told that I started doing it in daycare because all the other kids yelled for mom or dad and how could anyone know how the kids were yelling for :p
Emily however calls me mom and my parents mormor (mothers mother) and morfar (mothers father). My brothers have copied me and calls our parents p?by name too, my oldest younger brother have started calling our mother mommy in later years, but he does that to some people, he calls me 'sis'.
I have also never called my aunts/uncles anything other than their names :)

Also: by that logic I should not be calling my girlfriend by her first name (seeing add she is special to me), but rather something else, yes? I am one of those people who instantly detests others that call their SO some clich?d term of endearment bullshit, especially in public... I only do stuff like this in an entirely and offensively over the top ironic way, but I don't think that quite fits what you're after :p
I never address my girlfriend by her first name, most of the time she's called babe...

There's no one in my family i address by their first name, everyone has some sort of term associated with their role in my life...

The only time i use the first name, is when I'm pissed off, and want my point to come across

Likewise, if my gf uses my first name, i know something is wrong...

Last edited:
Lovely weather made the complimentary box of chocolates go soft and the hotel room had no fridge, so...

EXCd7Wf.jpg

Should I demand that people include my full academic title* every time they say my name?

*which is longer than my actual name, btw.
Don't know what you do, but I do insist on being called Herr Doktor.

Standard Swedish as well. The corresponding words for the father's parents are farmor (fathers mother) and farfar (fathers father).

Interesting. Are these common terms in Denmark or are they unique to your family? And are there corresponding versions for the father's parents?

As narf said it's standard, farfar is fathers father and farmor is fathers mother, some also use grandma/grandpa. We also have specific titles for aunts/uncles depending on the connection to the family; faster is fathers sister, moster is mothers sister, farbror is fathers brother, morbror is mothers brother, tante (aunt) is used for someone married to a farbror or morbror and onkel (uncle) is someone married to a faster or moster. The farbror/morbror is not that common anymore and is slowly being replaced by uncle.

I'm stuck in a windowless office. Thought I might be moving to one with a window very soon but just found out that it won't happen until September or so. At least the one I'll end up in is quite large and already has a TV mounted so it'll be easier to hold meetings.

Another first world problem: I love commuting in my convertible but it leaks a little when it rains so on rainy days like today I'm stuck driving my luxury sports sedan.

I'm stuck in a windowless office. Thought I might be moving to one with a window very soon but just found out that it won't happen until September or so. At least the one I'll end up in is quite large and already has a TV mounted so it'll be easier to hold meetings.

Another first world problem: I love commuting in my convertible but it leaks a little when it rains so on rainy days like today I'm stuck driving my luxury sports sedan.
Update: got a window office today. Spring breeze, sunshine, kids laughing on the playground (daycare next door), gun shots in the distance (two ranges close-by). Life is good.

Vending machine at work gave me a diet Mtn Dew instead of the iced tea I wanted.

You lost vending machine bingo.

I bought a new PC case and transferred all my old hardware into that. That case has a fan position at the top of the case which the old one didn't have. The fans which were included in the new case aren't PWM controlled, but my motherboard has a PWM CPU fan connection, and when I hook up the old case fan which has PWM and mount it at the top of the case the bearing ticks audibly. Since I need just one fan to blow the air out I have the choice of the old fan with PWM, but at the back of the case so the bearing doesn't tick, or the new fan without PWM at the top of the case.

I'd just get all new fans. The new corsair maglev fans look hot as fuck.

I just might get them.