Flight Simulator 2020

I finally figured out auto pilot. My 3rd or so attempt at an ORD to FRA flight. Try and see if my desk chair is more comfy than a plane seat.

So far, I have failed because I took my dog outside to do his business. :)

D1038361-182E-4DBD-9294-E8A887315E1E.jpeg

20201201192955_1.jpg

So did you crash? :p

I find landing a big plane a lot trickier than I remember it from FS 2002, actually turning off the autopilot seems to be the trickiest bit for me. Sadly M$ wanted to double the monthly game pass price for some reason so I cancelled. Maybe UPuke airways will fly again some day, a big update reset my plane skins though and adding them in again seemed like too much effort.

I did get some good scenic pictures from the game after seeing Apple's Big Sur dynamic wallpaper that I'll put together at some point.

So did you crash? :p

I find landing a big plane a lot trickier than I remember it from FS 2002, actually turning off the autopilot seems to be the trickiest bit for me. Sadly M$ wanted to double the monthly game pass price for some reason so I cancelled. Maybe UPuke airways will fly again some day, a big update reset my plane skins though and adding them in again seemed like too much effort.

I did get some good scenic pictures from the game after seeing Apple's Big Sur dynamic wallpaper that I'll put together at some point.

My landing wasn't smooth in the least bit, but I did land.

20201202013050_1.jpg

20201202014712_1.jpg

20201202015616_1.jpg

I landed 2AM my time. :D

The next day, I did Chicago to Munich and started 2.5 hours earlier so landing happened around 10:30-11PM my time.

20201202145632_1.jpg

20201202231153_1.jpg
20201202231617_1.jpg
20201202232225_1.jpg

actually turning off the autopilot seems to be the trickiest bit for me.

Me too, clicking the AP button doesn't turn it off once it's on and I found that once you accidentally press the button to switch from nautical miles to mach speed units, you're screwed as well. An issue with FS itself I see. What I found worked is pulling the auto pilot disengage lever that looks like a parking brake release handle.

What I found worked is pulling the auto pilot disengage lever that looks like a parking brake release handle.
Me landing after pulling that lever:

*poke*

I managed to lose my controller which means this game hasn't been used in a couple months. :(

No matter, I got an amazon gift card over Christmas which means I can replace it for free.

They jacked up the GamePass price so I told them to shove it. Would be nice to see the new UK update but £8 a month for one game on there isn't worth it.

I do miss playing it, I might buy the deluxe edition and have it forever, that's still £110 though.

Wait. How do you lose a controller? :p

Bought it but barely played as I couldn't buy a flight stick anywhere, have to try again.

Was thinking of getting the thrustmaster airbus pack

After being sim-less for a few months my parents gave me a copy for my birthday, the disc version which contains an incredible 10 DVDs and the all-important store code which was fine with my existing installation. It still required a 40GB update though...

Anyway I had been looking at some mods so I jumped right in with the Edgley Optica, probably the strangest aircraft I've ever seen.

Optica.jpg

Yeah I'm going to fast, ain't nobody got time for safe speeds. I was heading from Orkney to John O'Groats at this point just because. Fun plane in the air but the collision physics are bugged and it falls through the ground when you land. The UK update is really nice though, massively incorrect elevations were my main beef with the original map and the same stretch of Norfolk coast I know well is now looking as it should. I'll see if I can be bothered to make a comparison.

Reactions: lip
NEW UPDATE, WE HAVE MORE DETAILS!

Untitled3164f5cf4e731332.png

20210517190141_18231a2209af5b976.jpg

Maybe not yet.

Were you trying to re-create the plane scene from Cannonball Run? :p

The updates are great in some places, not so much in others. The France update actually removed some important buildings from Monte Carlo, which I found out when I went back there to see if I could improve my dynamic wallpaper.

While looking up new add-ins for me Stream Deck the other day I came across one called Flight Tracker that gives you FS controls/displays. I haven't tried it yet but it looks pretty damn good in this demo:

I should totally revive UPuke airways and land on more dumb stuff, turns out my video got a decent number of views... by my standards. The livery stopped working after an update but I think I understand it now.

I got my livery working again so UPuke Airways flies again!

First I attempted to land on the Hoover Dam:

Then I did attempt to recreate that scene from The Cannonball Run:

Yeah, still needs work.

I got my livery working again so UPuke Airways flies again!

First I attempted to land on the Hoover Dam:

Then I did attempt to recreate that scene from The Cannonball Run:

Yeah, still needs work.

Something's fucky about your altimeter in third person view in the Hoover dam video, it increases while you are in a descent and the VSI shows correctly a descent indication. At first I thought it was because it was showing AGL, but even above a steady terrain, it looked to be going the wrong way.

Something's fucky about your altimeter in third person view in the Hoover dam video, it increases while you are in a descent and the VSI shows correctly a descent indication. At first I thought it was because it was showing AGL, but even above a steady terrain, it looked to be going the wrong way.
I didn't notice that, I'm guessing it isn't set correctly and doesn't do so automatically. I certainly don't take much notice of it when messing around. Apparently I can press B to set it though, will go back and play around.

I'm just getting back into this now that I figured out why it was CTD'ing all the time...

I love how the latest update seems to have unborked turboprops. The Caravan is my go-to for FSEconomy flights and it used to have operational quirks that would throw me off all the time. Now the only minor niggle with it is that it burns a few dozen more pounds per hour of fuel at cruise settings than what the handbook says it should. But the flights I take are short enough it's not an issue since I make sure to take reserve fuel.

The next, much harder, step is to secure a better graphics card. An AMD Ryzen 7 2700X is sufficient, an Nvidia GTX 970 is not.