Food allergies, and how you get around them.

Bacon is my main foe. I can be in the same room when it's getting made and I can handle crisps that taste of it but I cannot eat actual bacon without it making me seriously ill.

The first time I found this out for sure was when I was at a christmas dinner at a restaurant and eat a sausage wrapped in Bacon. Immediately afterwards, I was violently ill and it kept up for three days.

When I told someone about that early this year during a allergy talk, they just shrugged it off as food poisoning.

So, now I basically avoid anything that has bacon in it (apart from the previous mentioned crisps.. they don't affect me at all...)

Last edited:
I don't have any allergies, but I have to avoid soy as I have autoimmune thyroiditis. If I have any, I just feel like crap afterwards.

I had one too, I was allergic to shrimp. Well, I've developed a trick to avoid the allergy, just after I ate some shrimps, I drink a glass of milk, it works for me.
Some say, that if you eat food that you are allergic to, your body will somehow build some tolerance with it, so if you get the portion just right and you do it regularly, somehow you'll have no allergy anymore-cured, it works with me. BUT, I'm NOT recommend this, have a talk with your doctor will be great. One last trick, drink noni juice, well, I think this juice which actually cure me from my allergic to shrimp. Again, have a talk first with your doctor. :)

Last edited:
Some say, that if you eat food that you are allergic to, your body will somehow build some tolerance with it, so if you get the portion just right and you do it regularly, somehow you'll have no allergy anymore-cured, it works with me.

It?s called Allergen immunotherapy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergen_immunotherapy
I?ve never heard about it being done in this way though ...

BUT, I'm NOT recommend this, have a talk with your doctor will be great. One last trick, drink noni juice, well, I think this juice which actually cure me from my allergic to shrimp. Again, have a talk first with your doctor. :)
Yes. Allergies can kill you. Do not try self-therapy without consulting a doctor.

I have something I guess. If I eat wheat/bread type things then lie down I die.
I had stew and dumplings for tea, laid down with a podcast and my chest felt like Tony Starks after the first explosion.

Ice cream and milk sort it out.

I think I have a mild lactose intolerance that I can revert to a degree by slowly uping the daily dosage. I presume all the bacteria died during the 3 year stint where I had almost no dairy.

It?s called Allergen immunotherapy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergen_immunotherapy
I?ve never heard about it being done in this way though ...

Nice info, I haven't heard about it before :D.

Yes. Allergies can kill you. Do not try self-therapy without consulting a doctor.

In my place, we don't take allergies seriously, especially food allergies, and I think that is the worst idea to ignore allergies. We have assumption here that allergies will only cost us itchiness, how stupid we are, haha :D

Last edited:
For the past 2? years, if I have wheat before bed. I wake up in the middle of the night, with the worlds worst heartburn.
Last week I forgot about it, had digestive biscuits 20 mins before bed. I woke at 5am tried every heartburn medicine in the house, the pain went away at 9am.

Last night I had weetabix at 9:30pm, I didn't go to bed till 2am, but I woke at 10am with slight heartburn.

It's weird, maybe something to do with lying down?

Everything you describe is classic GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)

wiki or google 'GERD' and 'Hiatal hernia' and it will some explain some of the physiologic changes that may cause your symptoms, as well as foods and eating behavoirs that aggravate it. I've had to change my eating habits the last few years because its been getting worse, and it happens to many ppl with age.

I have something I guess. If I eat wheat/bread type things then lie down I die.
I had stew and dumplings for tea, laid down with a podcast and my chest felt like Tony Starks after the first explosion.

Ice cream and milk sort it out.

Ok so this has been going on for a while, so I decided to change things. For the past week I cut out wheat and for an unrelated reason I've cut out the 3 liters of Dr Pepper I used to drink a week.
This is all I've done, no exercise, no gym. Plus I'm still eating garbage and not eating healthily.

I've lost about a quarter of a stone and feel great. :|
The downsides are I miss bread.

Well as others above my food allergy is limited to peanuts. It was self diagnosed when I was in grade school (rash developed in home ec baking). I always just avoided it as I dislike the taste. I did have a close call on the severe side back 10 years ago when I ordered a a supposedly non PB cookie and it was in fact made with it. Doc said any future ingestion would probably kill me.

My wife has recently found out that she's very intolerant of tomatoes. Severe heartburn and vomiting. She is still trying to adjust as she grew up on a farm and ate lots of produce including tomatoes not to mention it cuts most of her faves out (lasagna, spaghetti, etc. ). What can ya do though?

Peanuts, crustaceans, and almonds here. Easy to avoid them, but one time my stepmom tried to serve me mashed potatoes made with almond milk. I didn't find out that they were until I had a forkful about 2 inches from my mouth, when she mentioned it... glad she did, I didn't particularly feel like going to the ER that night.

I have an allergy that makes my throat constrict and I will affixiate; it has happened once in my life. Thankfully, the food is not easily disguised and easily discerned.

I would like to note that like fears, you should never tell the anonymous internet what you are allergic to; I may be paranoid, but there are serious weirdos and psychopaths who are probably storing this information.

I forgot to tell you guys but I had a very severe allergic reaction last month in Israel. I ate some salad that happened to have walnuts in it. I felt it immediately, epic-penned myself like a badass and took a cab to the hospital so as to not create a scene (probably dumb). The emergency room was fine until I finally got checked in, when I had a relapse reaction went into shock. They gave me more epinephrine, a steroid, and an antihistamine called fenergan. I slowly came down from the reaction and my throat got less swollen. They used this really cool (though rather uncomfortable) scope that went up my nose to check the constriction of my airway. Then they kept me overnight which was pretty crazy and released me in the morning.

The best part is that because I am an Israeli citizen the fees were insanely cheap. All-in, the experience cost me $200. Would have been way more in New York or Boston. Like ten times more at least.

I forgot to tell you guys but I had a very severe allergic reaction last month in Israel. I ate some salad that happened to have walnuts in it. I felt it immediately, epic-penned myself like a badass and took a cab to the hospital so as to not create a scene (probably dumb). The emergency room was fine until I finally got checked in, when I had a relapse reaction went into shock. They gave me more epinephrine, a steroid, and an antihistamine called fenergan. I slowly came down from the reaction and my throat got less swollen. They used this really cool (though rather uncomfortable) scope that went up my nose to check the constriction of my airway. Then they kept me overnight which was pretty crazy and released me in the morning.

The best part is that because I am an Israeli citizen the fees were insanely cheap. All-in, the experience cost me $200. Would have been way more in New York or Boston. Like ten times more at least.

Only 10 times more? I got billed almost $10,000 for a hospital stay where they monitored me overnight and just gave me a few pills (I'd rather not say why exactly, but it wasn't an allergic reaction).