Food in America

Is it just me, or is a lot of our food waaaaaayyyy too salty, too?

I've been giving up fast food lately because I've gotten kinda fat, and when I had some Taco Bell the other day after not having it for a while, I felt like crud afterwards. Bloaty crud.

I can't take a lot of salt for some reason. Just makes me puff up even more than usual.

Is it just me, or is a lot of our food waaaaaayyyy too salty, too?

I've been giving up fast food lately because I've gotten kinda fat, and when I had some Taco Bell the other day after not having it for a while, I felt like crud afterwards. Bloaty crud.

I can't take a lot of salt for some reason. Just makes me puff up even more than usual.

There is shedloads of salt in most fast food... If i eat a burger or a pizza, i have to hang under the watertap for the best part of the evening.

I had some Taco Bell the other day after not having it for a while, I felt like crud afterwards. Bloaty crud.

Sounds typical for a restaurant under the YUM!? brand name. Makes me feel terrible, too.

Who else feels lousy after eating at either KFC, Taco Bell, A & W, Pizza Hut or Long John Silver's? I get what we all call it at my workplace, "The BG's", BG meaning bubble guts. I am thinking it is what they use for shortening, because all five will have the same supplier of grease.

Last edited:
Sounds typical for a restaurant under the YUM!? brand name. Makes me feel terrible, too.

Who else feels lousy after eating at either KFC, Taco Bell, A & W, Pizza Hut or Long John Silver's? I get what we all call it at my workplace, "The BG's", BG meaning bubble guts. I am thinking it is what they use for shortening, because all five will have the same supplier of grease.

Taco bell NEVER agrees with me. For whatever reason i always feel like shit afterward which is why i only eat there maybe once a year when i get a CRAZY craving for a gordita at like 3am. However KFC has never given me any problems at all. Granted i get KFC maybe once every 3 months or so but i never seem to feel bad afterward. As for the rest of the YUM restaurants i don't think we have any in my state so i can only go off KFC and TB

Is it just me, or is a lot of our food waaaaaayyyy too salty, too? [...]
Those campains over here to lower salt in food have been without success so far, except in Britian, where the Food you can now buy in Supermarkets or the bigger restaurants/fast food ... taste like NOTHING no more. "Now with 30% less salt" ... and 50% less taste. :mad:

But like with everything, there are always two sides of the medal ... too much salt is also nothing good of course. But before I start to worry about too much salt in my bread or on my meat, I?ll rather worry about all those E-numbers, artificial flavours and taste enhancers ... when we banned all those, I might consider looking into the salt-issue ... not vice-versa.

The BG's? We just call it Itis here.....

When you see it...!

steaks02.jpg

steaks03.jpg

steaks04.jpg

steaks06.jpg

steaks08.jpg

USA%20Smiley%20100.jpg

^where is that America-fuck yeah pic when you need it?

I think time might have something to do with it as well. I belive americans work more days for more hours with fewer vacations than almost any nation in europe, and at the end of the day all we tend to do is flop down on some chair-related item and wait for sleep. Could a shorter work day translate into more time for exercise? A shorter commute?

A 50 hour work week is pretty much standard around here, 2 weeks paid vacation only on the most cushy of full time jobs.

35 hour week, 25 days holiday plus 6 days Flexi if I want them. I can buy another 10 days holiday if I want at 1/265th per day annual salary.

Still a fatty.

Last edited:
I think time might have something to do with it as well. I belive americans work more days for more hours with fewer vacations than almost any nation in europe, and at the end of the day all we tend to do is flop down on some chair-related item and wait for sleep. Could a shorter work day translate into more time for exercise? A shorter commute?

A 50 hour work week is pretty much standard around here, 2 weeks paid vacation only on the most cushy of full time jobs.

I've never worked more than 40 hours on a regular schedule.

This is part of the issue. The quantity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> quality mentality that a lot of people have probably doesn't help either. Combine those two things with a general lack of physical activity and you've got a true winner.

So this may be a bit off topic, but in Europe and the UK especially do you guys do any barbecuing? I mean real barbecuing, slow cooking at low temperatures, usually with some sort of sauce/brine involved. Barbecue is not grilling.