Food sources bashing thread

toma_alimosh

Also known as "Myke Hunt"
Car(s)
2014 Volkswagen Jetta
Made a new thread and linked from the other one because it was getting way too off-topic for that thread and people needed to post more of "something else" less about food. Although we're all eaten the other stuff as infants anyway.
So here goes:

QFT

Go watch the Penn & Teller: Bullshit episode on organic foods.

Organic foods and traditionally natural grown foods are not the same thing.
If you find it in a supermarket, doesn't matter how it's labeled, you can be sure that it's all the same shit.

Also, watched the Penn & Teller episode to see what it was about. What a load of crap show ... all it did was propaganda. They chose a bunch of hippie naturists to portray consumers of a product, so the weirdest of the bunch they could find and every single "expert" point on the show was made by people who have no specialization whatsoever in the field they're endeavoring in with their comments and who stand to make big bucks by holding their own point of view firmly.

I still think the notion of "organic foods" is a whole bunch of bullshit given to consumers who don't know any better just so supermarkets can charge them more for a product that is not as most people expect it to be. If you want healthy food, go search for it outside a supermarket. However, I think that their show is also a bunch of bullshit. It's nothing but biased propaganda that answers no real questions with no actual proof.

But what I know more than anything is that back in Romania, as a child/teen, when I basically only had food from farmers who grew it how their ancestors before them grew it, raw food over there tastes quite differently, if not a whole lot better than over here. Some of the sources of foods I ate were members of my extended family, so I know well enough the regular farming methods they employed. And they used no tractors, no pesticides, no modified seeds (they grew their own seeds), no fertilizer, etc.

After I came to Canada I've basically eaten only supermarket foods because that's all you can find here. Farmer's markets here are the same thing that arrives at you local supermarket anyway. All farming here is mechanized, all uses pesticides, they're all fertilized and you'd be hard-pressed to find something that hasn't been genetically modified. The result? Most things have little to no taste at all here. Strawberries don't taste like strawberries anymore. They taste like pure, refined sugar. Their insides don't look the same either. They're supposed to look rosy inside if you bite them, but they look completely white. Also, tomatoes also have almost no taste at all and are all-pale. Apples taste like someone gave them an injection with petrol ... it all sucks.

The only foods that actually come close to the taste and look of things back home are the foods grown by the Amish people around here. So you draw your own conclusions how you may, but I only believe in this stuff because of my experience with it. Forget the scientific drama, people's concerns with health and all that stuff ... I tasted the difference and factory farmed and genetically modified foods just don't taste right to me. And if they don't taste right, they can't be too good for you as far as I'm concerned.

i thought the pen & teller show was quite interesting and brought up things i never thought about.

however, as for things like Taste (which of course, is extremely subjective), i like to think back to something Alton Brown rails on--eating whats in season.

chances are, if you're eating something "freshly grown" in a time of the year, that product isnt suppose to be growing, its not going to be at its full potential.

i kind of wish stores would start posting more info with produce, etc. listing their prime seasons, etc. tho it'd just confuse the average consumer.

in the end, technically, its all "organic". all those "evil" pesticides and fertilizers, are made of organic components as well. tho people dont want to think that, cause then that removes yet-something-else thats an easy target to blame for something wrong in their life.

Also, watched the Penn & Teller episode to see what it was about. What a load of crap show ... all it did was propaganda.
Must of missed the experts they had on that show. Although, I will concede that Bullshit! is of course edited to suit their bias.

It's nothing but biased propaganda that answers no real questions with no actual proof.
They definitely did have proof. Like this.

But what I know more than anything is that back in Romania, as a child/teen, when I basically only had food from farmers who grew it how their ancestors before them grew it, raw food over there tastes quite differently, if not a whole lot better than over here.
Are you sure? I remember loving Spaghetti Pie when I was young, I had it recently and it tasted like burnt noodles and Parmesan with some Ragu mixed in. Ever been to a restaurant where you had the best meal ever, and when you returned it was shit.

Some of the sources of foods I ate were members of my extended family, so I know well enough the regular farming methods they employed. And they used no tractors, no pesticides, no modified seeds (they grew their own seeds), no fertilizer, etc.
Seems pretty damn stupid to not use any fertilizer. If you are a farmer and you're trying to make a living you have to use fertilizer, pesticides, TRACTORS! It'd be like a DJ using Cassette tapes because it makes the music sound way better than CD's.

All farming here is mechanized, all uses pesticides, they're all fertilized
Yes, these Farmers must enjoy being un-homeless.

and you'd be hard-pressed to find something that hasn't been genetically modified.
Actually there are only a finite amount of GM foods, they are compiled in this list.

The result? Most things have little to no taste at all here. Strawberries don't taste like strawberries anymore. They taste like pure, refined sugar. Their insides don't look the same either. They're supposed to look rosy inside if you bite them, but they look completely white. Also, tomatoes also have almost no taste at all and are all-pale. Apples taste like someone gave them an injection with petrol ... it all sucks.
Where do you get your food? I'll agree many things taste best fresh, especially berries, herbs, and vegetables that ripen fast. But you can only have fresh fruits for a certain period in the year.

The only foods that actually come close to the taste and look of things back home are the foods grown by the Amish people around here. So you draw your own conclusions how you may
I live minutes from a massive Amish population, believe you me they use pesticides, tractors, fertilizer, and lots of modern practices. Even the Amish have changed with the times. Your hard pressed to find an Amish man with more than a few acres that still plows his field with a horse.

Forget the scientific drama
Yes, why not?

however, as for things like Taste (which of course, is extremely subjective), i like to think back to something Alton Brown rails on--eating whats in season.

Firstly, hats off to Alton Brown. He is probably the single most rational chef on television today. I agree this has a huge amount to do with it. It is nearly impossible to get good fruit these days. It ALL comes from California, or Florida, or Peru. There is only one fruit that tolerates being picked green and then being shipped, bananas. All this shipped in stuff tastes like crap. I live miles from dozens of peach farms, and the supermarkets sell stuff from CA. I hardly bother eating it anymore. There's no taste left and probably even less nutrition.