Food! [The thread that started this section]

Well, last week the Double Down became available in Canada, so I wanted to try it out. It was as salty as hell, and not as crispy tasting as I expected. Probably not something I'd try again in the near future (my arteries will thank me for that).

I'd so give one a try, but last time I took a chance on one of these WTF creations from KFC it wasn't so pretty.

It was about 2 or so years ago, when they came out with those bowls that have all the popular KFC menu items in one bowl. It was so damn gross, I'm not a picky eater by any means and I almost barfed from that. The retards put the popcorn chicken at the bottom, then pour gravy and mashed potatoes and whatever else on top of the chicken. You know what that does dumbass KFC employees? It makes the popcorn chicken soggy... I don't go to KFC for soggy chicken!

Aside from that rudimentary oversight it was still inedible. Gravy tasted like something other than gravy, corn was artificially sweet and the overall taste of the bowl was not nice... somehow eating all those ingredients separately in a traditonal KFC meal is better, because when you put them all in your mouth at once the overall taste is simply not enjoyable on any level.

Last edited:
just had a go at this...
didn't go white wine, instead added a bit of stock and added a few other tweaks. turned out pretty well :)

P1000815.jpg

P1000816.jpg

Anyone try a KFC Double Down yet? Had one for the first time today and was quite disappointed. My chicken was dry and it was SOOOOOO salty. Like.....10 spoonfuls of salt.

I figure this is the best place to ask, does anyone have a good recipe for roasting/toasting pumpkin seeds? Whenever we try, the seeds always burn so I'd love to know one that won't burn.

I figure this is the best place to ask, does anyone have a good recipe for roasting/toasting pumpkin seeds? Whenever we try, the seeds always burn so I'd love to know one that won't burn.

Do you do it in the oven or or in a frying pan? If I was gonna do it I'd do it in a frying pan with a tiny amount of oil in it. Keep the pan reasonably hot. As long as you're there watching them all the time it should be fine.

If you're gonna eat them as a snack, add a bit of salt at the end after they have released their natural oils so the salt sticks. :)

Last edited:
We usually do it in the oven, but I'll try it in a frying pan this time. Thanks.

I'm eating today something I've never eaten before in my life: bear. It spent about 36 hours getting marinated, it's pretty black after roasting, but it tastes good, if a bit... weird.

EDIT: I revise that, it tastes weird full-stop. Not sure whether I fancy it.

Last edited:
you can eat those? aren't they like protected and stuff?

you can eat those? aren't they like protected and stuff?

Not around here they aren't, I guess. Hunting bears is probably regulated rather tightly, but it's allowed within season and the meat can be eaten... that is if your stomach is strong enough to take it. :lol: Final verdict: I don't like it.

Well, some people just don't like game. I never understood how they can say "the taste is very strong" when it to me doesn't taste an awful lot different to beef, but whatever. I've had wild boar a few times which is like pork made even more delicious.

Bears aren't protected here either and they'd be quite a nuisance if their population wasn't regulated. Bear pat? is quite nice.

for the first time ever, i had maple syrup

i don't understand what the fuss is al about, it's not that good :|

What kind of maple syrup did you have? There are varying qualities and your experience will depend on said quality. If you want quality maple syrup I point you to Dakin Farm's Vermont Fancy. In the US, maple syrup is divided into two major grades: Grade A and Grade B. Grade A is further broken down into three sub-grades: Light Amber (sometimes known as Fancy), Medium Amber, and Dark Amber.[2] Grade B is darker than Grade A Dark Amber. In Canada, there are three grades containing several color classes, ranging from Canada #1, including Extra Light (sometimes known as AA), Light (A), and Medium (B); through #2 Amber (C); and finally #3 Dark (D)

the one and only i could find in the supermarket, no indication of gradation, but the brand is mic mac, and it says "product of canada", so i don't think it's a local fake...

Entirely possible that it was "maple syrup," ie: sugar syrup dyed brown.

Who would have guessed that a cheese named "Desert Fire" would be hot? Clearly not me...

My weekly pilgrimage to the Chinese supermarket... another white person was in there which was a first.
Anyway they didn't have my fave stuff in stock so I had to play pot-luck bingo and pick at random.
I'm eating 'hot and spicy' flavour, I went to see what animal flavour it was meant to be (No attempt to make the front of the packet look like an animal.) and it just says 'artificial meat powder'. :lol: