Food! [The thread that started this section]

I also don't drink much, do any drugs, or go to parties.

Same here. My best friend dragged me to a bar with 4 of his friends, and...yeah. Hang out and watch movies or have dinner? Sure. Hang out at a pub with shitty music and crappy pool tables? Er...no thanks.

Went to local seafood place by the Redondo Pier, went to place that's know for plucking the seafood out of the tanks and either steaming them up fresh or serving raw, all dining in on stone picnic tables with newspaper used as tablecloth

Some fresh uni/sea urchin

5587696360_a7e02b0bf4_z.jpg

hacked open at the bottom

5587698220_e17f3c212e_z.jpg

and scooped out w a spoon

5587699792_4e51086427_z.jpg

Also something more conventional, hama hama oysters

5587109543_f02ec71693_z.jpg

How is the taste of sea urchin like?

How is the taste of sea urchin like?

hard to describe in words because it doesn't really taste similar to any common foods I know. It's basically a love/hate thing like caviar or other delicacies, it doesn't really taste like caviar btw. That's just an analogy. Best to try it yourself at local sushi place. Make sure it's high quality and really fresh tho, old uni/sea urchin really tastes like shit because it goes bad fast.

hard to describe in words because it doesn't really taste similar to any common foods I know. It's basically a love/hate thing like caviar or other delicacies, it doesn't really taste like caviar btw. That's just an analogy. Best to try it yourself at local sushi place. Make sure it's high quality and really fresh tho, old uni/sea urchin really tastes like shit because it goes bad fast.

I really doubt local sushi places have it, but I?ll check next time I go to one.
Oh, almost forgot: nice pictures!

Tonight Turkey's finest...

Spit roasted 'lamb' with a garlic au jus, accompanied with pommes frites.

http://img819.imageshack.**/img819/1925/95770172.png

*I'm aware it's eyeholes, earholes and arseholes.

Kebab meat with fries. Call it something French and you can triple the price.

Just cos you don't understand and/or dislike restaurant food doesn't mean you have to make up retarded names for whatever you eat.

Just cos you don't understand and/or dislike restaurant food doesn't mean you have to make up retarded names for whatever you eat.

It's the Aston Martin restaurant, where we show a flamboyant contrast in world dishes.

*and importantly is not meant to be taken seriously.

http://img819.imageshack.**/img819/1925/95770172.png

*I'm aware it's eyeholes, earholes and arseholes.

the only time i eat that, is when i'm so drunk, i don't remember it the day after
that's awefull! the meat is more like a sponge than anything else

the only time i eat that, is when i'm so drunk, i don't remember it the day after
that's awefull! the meat is more like a sponge than anything else

It depends, good kebab on a spit is actually proper stacked slices of real meat

as you can see here, properly made stuff has that stacked look

csc_0210.jpg

But the really awful cheap stuff is that spongy, fake, reconstituted meat that you're referring to, like the pillar of phony meat on the right:

775_95736_1_g.jpg

that first kind you don't find around here :(
i once went to greece, and had some there, it was delicious!

the more arabic or hebrew on the outside, the better the kebab will be.

Nope, not really.

Kebabs are probably one of the most disputed foods in terms of their origin and how they are to be done. From Eastern Europe to Central Asia down to the Middle East, every country thinks they invented kebabs and as such do it the best. So you can't go around claiming one country or culture has better kebabs, because they might not even be the same dish aside from having the same name.

Being an Iranian, for instance, when I hear kebab, this is what I think of - skewered meats cooked on charcoal with simple white rice, but it's so much more than the sum of its parts. It looks and tastes nothing like say Turkish donair kebabs or shawarmas from the Arab World, but I assure it's just as delicious as other dishes that share that name.

chelo.jpg

I mean, seriously... despite what at least a dozen countries claim, kebabs originated in Iran, so how could the Arabs beat Persians at their own game?

Last edited:
Potatoes au gratin!

2011-04-04%2013.44.47.jpg

2011-04-04%2013.48.37.jpg

Nope, not really.

Kebabs are probably one of the most disputed foods in terms of their origin and how they are to be done. From Eastern Europe to Central Asia down to the Middle East, every country thinks they invented kebabs and as such do it the best. So you can't go around claiming one country or culture has better kebabs, because they might not even be the same dish aside from having the same name.

Being an Iranian, for instance, when I hear kebab, this is what I think of - skewered meats cooked on charcoal with simple white rice, but it's so much more than the sum of its parts. It looks and tastes nothing like say Turkish donair kebabs or shawarmas from the Arab World, but I assure it's just as delicious as other dishes that share that name.

chelo.jpg

I mean, seriously... despite what at least a dozen countries claim, kebabs originated in Iran, so how could the Arabs beat Persians at their own game?

Sadly half the world thinks Arabs = Persians. Because they utteraly fail at geography and world history.

Interesting food history lesson. Thanks.